Ash disease Q

Home Forum Chat Forum Ash disease Q

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ash disease Q
  • petec

there’s an awful lot about down here on the ridgeway. Ninety percent plus affected when they’re under 10ft tall

Three_Fish

Definitely report it.

slowoldgit

Thanks rockhopper. It was probably last years leaves all dead and hanging.

It’s an easy enough survey to complete. Though I’d not noticed bark damage, so didn’t tick that box. Which the survey took as a negative. Oh well.

CountZero

It appears that British Ash trees are genetically different to European strains, and are much more resistant to it.
    I’m always looking at the trees around North Wiltshire, and I’ve yet to spot any showing signs.
    Thing with Ash is it sets seed very easily, it’s like a bloody weed in some places, hundreds of saplings sprouting anywhere they can.

timber

Highly unlikely to be last years, ash tends to shed 99% of its leaves in one go on a cold snap.
    Chalara does cause new growth to burn and curl as you have described and young trees are more vulnerable.

As CZ mentions, there is some genetic diversity, most outbreaks are in imported root stock. Incidents are worth recording, but not necessarily the slash and burn there was for elm. Potential loss of resistant genetics.

slowoldgit

Hi. I saw some obviously sick ash saplings this week, about ten feet high and with the new leaves twisted and blackened. Assuming it’s that new disease, can I be confident that the landowner would do the right thing, or should I report what I saw? And if so, to whom?

slowoldgit

What I saw was much the same as the hanging down, dead leaves shown at 1.50 in this…

… I was thinking they were unusually early new leaves. They weren’t.

Premier Icon burko73
    Subscriber

Might be new leaves that got hit by a late frost. We have had some late frosts recently and ash is one of the last to shoot I guess to get around the frost issue.

Fc website

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Only healthy trees shed leaves. If you see leaves on a tree after autumn it’s a good sign it’s either sick or dead.

Premier Icon burko73
    Subscriber

apart from young beech trees… think beech hedge!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.