Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Arthritis roll call, new comer alert :(
  • roundwheels
    Free Member

Hii all, looking for so advice/experiences on what people are doing to manage the symptoms? Any treatment worth looking into that works for you? (Please don’t say ebike as I’ll be a Hypocrite :)Today I found out that the pain I’ve been managing for close to 2 years is arthritis in the hip, following an X-ray and MRI scan the hip needs replaced, not something you’d want to hear at the ripe old age of 41. At the moment I’ve basically just to manage the symptoms but given the deterioration I have experienced and the consultants opinion it’s imminent.

Thanks

ton

had a new hip in november, and a fused ankle previous november.

get it replaced as soon as it needs doing, until then ibuprofen, paracetamol and good old MTFU

back riding 100 miles per week n ow, so there is always light at the end mate.

roundwheels
    Free Member

Same leg Ton? I’ve not long recovered from 2 ankle surgery’s on the same leg also when you say “as soon as it needs replacing “ did you wait until you could move no more? Or just “pain”

there are are some days I am fine but like today I feel like it’s need done now

ton

other leg mate.

broke my ankle playing rugby years ago. talus bone never healed correct. so that was fused to bottom of tibia.

years of dragging that round had worn my left hip. it was square on the knuckle that sits in the cup. got to the stage where i couldnt walk more than 100 yards. was ok on the bike if i rode steady.

had to sleep with a pillow between my legs for the last 4 years.

roundwheels
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s really not the best, I can walk fine but struggle when I sit, especially sitting on the toilet very sore or at work, it’s good to hear you have had a good recovery which for me is positive for the future

thanks

BoardinBob

I’ve had joint pain and other niggling injuries for years. Nothing has helped.

A few months ago I started taking CBD oil for other reasons, but the most noticeable impact is that all my niggling wrist and finger injuries have disappeared. Literally no more pain.

I’m absolutely not an advocate for alternative medicine but this has had a huge positive impact on me. I’ve got a few other people on it based on my experience and they’ve also reported similar results with pain reduction for long term injuries.

It’s 100% legal, is completely different from weed, it won’t get you high, and you wouldn’t fail any drugs test. I get mine from lovecbd.org

Some useful reading here:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319796.php

nealglover
    Free Member

45 years old and booked in for my Operation on 18th Sept for new Ceramic Hip.

Pain is a shocker some days, but I’m Currently in 8x 50mg Tramadol, 10x 200mg Iboprofen and 10x 500mg Paracetamol a day. It works but not very well.(2:11am and I can’t sleep due to pain)

Get booked in as soon as you can is my advice. I put it off for too long and regretting it now.

Ebike ordered 👍

roundwheels
    Free Member

Ffs nealglover that’s some party of drugs to be taken there, the side affects on that amount can’t be good for anyone. I’ve got an appointment with my GP to discuss what’s the cut off point and go for it, I don’t think I am there just yet but I also don’t want to perhaps find my self in a situation like yours and having to struggle through life.

Dam e-bike 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

Don’t forget to factor in the wait for the procedure. Depending on where you live there could be local protocols to overcome or just plain oversubscription.

Also worth asking who your consultant will be and what his/her revision rate is as well as what model hip you’ll get.

duncancallum

Had my hip done at 30.

It’s ace. Just go steady and crack on

longdog
    Free Member

I’m just waiting for the date for my knee replacement next month due to OA. I’m 48.

Pain killers and anti-inflammitaories were touching the pain, cortison shots worked for  maybe a week or two. Steady cycling is OK, but walking is always painful to some degree, which is a bugger when your job is basically lots of walking on rough ground (Outdoor Access Officer). The last year has been a trauma both for family stuff and managing to work and play.

It’s taken me a year to get to see an NHS consultant, so bear that in mind, some areas are even longer wait (2 years Aberdeen). I looked to go private and got a private consutlation, but it would be £12k for the operation that I don’t have laying about.

Bear in mind that any cortisone shots will delay any operation by atleast 3 months (depends on the consultant, the private one told me 6 months)

I also have OA in a wrist, but thankfully an annual cortisone shot in that seems to be working for now, ultimately I’ve been told it’ll be a wrist fusion to look forward to!

Only you can decide how incapacitating it is with work, family, fun and sleep.

All the best in getting some peace from it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Get booked in as soon as you can is my advice. I put it off for too long and regretting it now.

Except for the fact that there is a limit to how many hip revisions you can have.  Although they last longer now than they ever have you will still need a revision at some point, and each time you have one the chances of success reduce

cynic-al
    Free Member

My mum tried a diet aimed at arthritic pain – it ended the pain completely.

Soz can’t remember much but I think tomatoes and dairy were among what is not allowed.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you are being offered the operation at your age then it’s likely to be bad. I had mine done when I was 54, a complete life changer.

As for revisions, I was told that my implant had a 20 year average life. It’s the titanium femur insert with a ceramic head and plastic acetabulum socket. It’s the femur insert that you really don’t want to have to have done again, replacing the other parts is relatively minor.

anagallis_arvensis

Have you had any discussions about arthroscopies? I’ve had 2 on one hip and 1 on the other.

roundwheels
    Free Member

Thanks again for the reply’s,, I have discussed cortisone injections an I’ve stayed no the them as I’ve had several before for other injuries and not worked, so I am waiting on the ok with an experimental injection which is platelet rich injection which is supposed to last 6 month, before the MRI scan I was expecting a labral repair but the results of the scan shows to much damage, in reality for what was thought to be a hip flexor strain turns out I’ve been managing the arthritis for close to 2 year.

not sure what the immediate future holds, but still need to be convinced on an ebike 🙂

doomanic

still need to be convinced on an ebike

They’re fun! What more convincing do you need? I’ve gone from failing to function properly after 12 miles to 20-25 blasts that are way more fun and I’m still able to use my left leg afterwards.

I’ve been diagnosed with OA in the right shoulder recently but have been living with Sciatica for over 3 years and I’m wondering if it isn’t actually OA as well.

scaredypants

nealglover  Member

10x 500mg Paracetamol a day

Is that on qualified advice ?  It’s a lot to be taking every day

granny_ring

Pain is a shocker some days, but I’m Currently in 8x 50mg Tramadol, 10x 200mg Iboprofen and 10x 500mg Paracetamol a day. It works but not very well.(2:11am and I can’t sleep due to pain)

Flippin eck……

karnali
    Free Member

Had an arthroscopic in March 2014 made an improvement but was told I’d need a new hip sometime, my hip gave up when skiing Easter 2017, injection in September 17 no effect, new hip 29dec 17 aged 43, skied Easter 2018,back biking and swimming,) still get some discomfort at fro t but physio says this is not unusual as everything settles down, on the whole very pleased I had it done, will see how long it lasts, can’t get a definitive answer on that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Arthritis roll call, new comer alert :(’ is closed to new replies.