Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Art – Where to buy?
  • NJA

My wife recently redecorated our bedroom. We now have pretty much a plain white box. She has decided she doesn’t like the Jack Vetriano stuff that we had up previously (framed prints not anything fancy) and my collection of band posters and cycling posters is not allowed into the space. I have them in my office.

Her idea of art is to pop down to the Range and pick up something for a tenner. But after lots of negotiation we have agreed that we can get something a little better – up to around £500 if we can agree on what we like. This is the most difficult bit. Our tastes are different – she likes Reubens and I like the impressionist stuff.

But the real question is where to see a really good range of artworks that doesn’t break the budget. I have tried Googling but not really found a place that fits the bill.

Any suggestions welcomed.

sillysilly

For prints galleries often do a half decent job or partner with co’s that can. Try National Gallery as a start for the old stuff then branch out.

If you want a little more custom / fancy but still within your price range check out what you can find on https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page in high res. Take it to your friendly local printer and get advice on paper stock / image quality, then over to your local framer. Amazing what you can get done for say £100. If you say where you are based people may be able to chime in with local recommendations.

Online service like https://www.theprintspace.co.uk will send out sample packs so you can judge stock / print types yourself if confident to print yourself remotely.

Tried using Etsy but too many scammers with 5* reviews from clueless users happy with poor quality prints / paper stock.

Decent originals maybe harder within price range but someone else here may know.

dangeourbrain

Are there any galleries in your locality? There’s a few here and even the seriously fancy have things running from 3 figures (admittedly at the fancy ones, high 3 but their free canapés and wine are much better) to 6 or 7 figures.

Bear in mind a frame will cost a lot more than you give credit for.

RustySpanner

Have a look in local galleries/museums for a start.

Student exhibitions can be good and we’ve discovered a few local artists by visiting gift shops at local attractions – just bought a print from Towneley Hall gift shop after seeing some work on display there.

binners

Perhaps commission a forum member who does that kind of thing to produce a bespoke piece of artwork for you? 😉

Have you not got any local galleries? We’ve a couple, both of whom exhibit a huge range of artists (including me) in all manner of different styles. Reasonably priced too with prints or originals. You can pay as little or as much as you like when it comes to artwork. I sell my own prints for around the fifty quid mark for a framed A3, but that might be sat in the gallery next to a 3,000 quid original oil painting. Just go and have a look.

Also: have you got any local universities that do fine art, illustration or photography courses? They’ll be coming up to their end of degree exhibitions and you can have a chat with them about their work. I’ve bought a number of really nice pieces from the end of degree shows.

As for tastes: me and Mrs Binners have completely different tastes, but her more traditional stuff (stylised oil paintings from local artists) makes a nice contrast to my pop art silk screen prints. We both like having a mix up in the house. Variety is the spice of life ad all that

Remember: every time somebody buys a piece of ‘art’ from Ikea, The Range or B&Q a little bit of creativity dies. Please don’t do it.

Heres my latest acquisitions. I love them! prints of Amy and Marilyn by local artist Death by Vectors. I paid 100 quid each for these

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2niQjNx]Amy and Marilyn[/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

kayla1

+1 for local galleries, we got a lovely acrylic & resin thing done by a local lad. Local craft or flea markets can be good too.

kelron

I’m quite pleased with my eBay lucky dip art, some of it even came framed (search for auctions ending soon, buy stuff that looks cool).

nickjb
    Free Member

We have quite a few art trails round here. A dozen or so each year. Local artists open up their homes and studios to display and sell art. We buy most of ours like this. It’s also a nice day out. A couple of times we found an artist we like and had them do a commission.

the-muffin-man

At the seaside – when you’re ambling around in a happy mood peering into shop windows and you suddenly think ‘ooh that looks nice’. Before you know it that harbour print is wrapped up and under your arm…

…and then you get home and it sits in the spare room/under bed for years on end, never to be hung on a wall. Eventually ending up in a charity shop!

That’s the general way it goes for us. 🙂

p7eaven
    Free Member

But the real question is where to see a really good range of artworks that doesn’t break the budget.

I’ll be really surprised if you didn’t have a local art galleries and/or exhibitions – from community art and low price pieces to professional art and mid to high price pieces or even a little bit further a field side to the next nearest large town or city.

And remember when you do see an artist’s whose work which you admire/wish to collect – that artist will more than likely accept commissions.

Same/similar goes for online digital art and prints. You don’t have to go traipsing around art galleries or going to art shows etc.

dangeourbrain

Perhaps commission a forum member who does that kind of thing to produce a bespoke piece of artwork for you? 😉

Ohhh yes, good shout, there’s that bloke who does the awesome pencil drawings of bike parts isn’t there? It’s a good idea @binners I’m not sure the op would get away with it given he’s not allowed his cycling posters either.

p7eaven
    Free Member

* Note to self: ‘Unedited speech-to-text’ (dictated)replies make you look even stupider/moar stupidest

#woznotwas

blokeuptheroad

Shameless plug for my wife’s wildlife art.  Prints are very affordable. If originals are your thing, she also has some for sale but she has a couple of local exhibitions coming up so will have to hold on to them until they are over.

As I type, she is setting up at the RAF museum at Cosford for their vintage and handmade fair this weekend.  If you are local you could take a look? You may even find yours truly manning her stall whilst she spends any money she makes on old tat, sorry vintage collectibles….

benp1

We’ve bought two pieces of art from local artists. They were at the local art fair, we found what we liked and asked them to do a very slightly different version for us

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Anything you like in my current exhibition?

If you are near Southampton then let me know if you want to pop down for a guided tour before it closes on May 27th. If you are further away I can arrange delivery.

Message me.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have been known to do that sometimes but I have no shame so not sure if that counts 🙂

NicksArtStuff.com

GolfChick
    Free Member

Or the STW massive could inspire you with art they either own or would like to own?

Recent thread

I currently own one Lucy Pittaway but would like to own more Lucy Pittaway

and recently spotted some Gary Walton in a gallery and thought they looked fab and considered buying it but being mainly coastal work made me stop as I’m more inspired my hills and mountains than the seaside.

Gary Walton

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve just bought three prints from kieran Gabriels’ collection. You’ll either love them or hate them which makes things easier! Great service too.

freeagent
    Free Member

entergallery in Brighton is our usual favourite – we’ve had a fair bit of stuff from them.

I follow a few artists on Instagram – jjadamsart is a current fav – but not bought any of his stuff yet.

kayak23

Degree shows are a great way to get some fantastic stuff and students will get a buzz from selling an artwork.

BigJohn

Although I prefer to support real artists and art shops (seeing as our daughter makes her living in the art world) I’ve bought some beautiful prints from Fine Art Prints On Demand
    It started last year when I noticed several of our Vermeer and Turner prints that we’d had for years were very faded. I looked through their library and they had them all. I was even able to scale them to the dimensions of our frames. They arrived quickly, on hard giclee paper and they are stunningly good. I even uploaded a photo of mine that I took on my Moto phone, scaled it up to A3 and that too looks perfect.

Edit – supporting Kayak23’s suggestion – a whole bunch of the paintings in our house are from our daughters degree collection from Brighton Uni. Plus a rather stunning muriel* that she did for us which we’re going to have to leave behind when we move.

* courtesy Hilda Ogden

tuboflard

Where do you live OP? I can recommend some good options for Sheffield if you’re local.

maccruiskeen

It’s the degree show time of year for art schools which in many places is one of the biggest art exhibition you’ll see each year.

another thing to look out for if you’re looking for a lot of choice (to find something where both your interests intersect) is a Google to see if there are are art fairs, (look particularly for Affordable Art Fairs, print fairs and so on) coming up either locally or somewhere you’d like to travel to. That puts 20 – 30 galleries from around the country under one roof.

Maybe think about a trip to somewhere nice with plenty of galleries- if you’re going to spend a bit on something that’s for the two of you it’d be nice if it was a momento of somewhere lovely too perhaps

Glasgow contemporary art fair is at the end of this month

Straightliner

Have a look at eBay too. Usually loads of art for sale on their for reasonable prices.

redthunder
    Free Member
    ctk

https://llegallery.com/

Some cool stuff in this gallery. (yes including me)

Scapegoat

Local painting clubs often have exhibitions, or even regular outlets. Mum used to sell several watercolours a year that way. Check your local community pages or FB forums.

jkomo

That enter gallery in Brighton is ace. Loads of nice stuff. There is also a thing where you can buy art on 0% finance over ten months I think, for living UK artists. Makes it much easier on the finances.

dyna-ti

Degree shows are a great way to get some fantastic stuff and students will get a buzz from selling an artwork.

+!

But haggle the price 😉

RustyNissanPrairie

There is also a thing where you can buy art on 0% finance over ten months I think

our local museum gallery (The Whitaker Rawtenstall) had this in place when MRSRNP worked there. We bought a David Hancock on it.

dyna-ti

I’d an artist i knew some years ago, he was part of a group of friends at the time and I had him do me a watercolour of a single red rose for mothers day. He’s an art academy recognized type, specialized in abstract, did fine watercolours to pay the bills and his work was really really good, so much detail.

I never told Mum, and she’s certainly have something to say should she have found out, but were did a swop. I gave him a 1/4oz of top quality hashish, and he did the pic 😆

He was unfortunately killed in a motorcycle accident some years back.He was a good bloke and a great artist.

NJA

Sorry, been away for a couple of days. Some great suggestions there. I am near Peterborough, so we don’t have the luxury of a gallery or a university for graduate art.

I will trawl through everyone’s suggestions and present the wife with a shortlist!

Then she will go through the suggestions and tell me what we are having.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

not far to here fom Peterborough, I’m a Rachel Lockwood fan.
    https://www.pinkfootgallery.co.uk/

maccruiskeen

Lincoln has a fine art degree course

CountZero

If you fancy a day out in That London, the RCA Summer Exhibition is always worth looking round. Exhibitors often have a run of prints, sometimes single originals for sale, at prices which can be matched by your budget. And they can appreciate in value over time, as well.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.