Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Arse – well I feel like shit now!
  • convert

Just had a call from the Headmaster of the school I teach at. One of my tutees died yesterday – 14yr old lad – super kid.

Why relevant here – well on top of him being my tutee I also ran an mtb activity which he came to every week over the summer term. Over the term he went from a super cautious rider who would rather get off and walk to a confident young lad who would happily follow me on the local trails. He was riding with his family yesterday on holiday and raced off down a downhill section of the bridleway, didn’t realise/appriciate/account for there being road at the bottom, overshot into the road and was hit by a transit and thrown 50 yards down the road.

Not my fault in the strictest sense but feeling pretty bad just at the minute 🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

shit.

definitely not your fault.

does your school offer staff any counselling services?

tracknicko
    Free Member

holy shit. bad times. nothing to do with you of course. but proper grim.

Pigface
    Free Member

That is awful, my sincere condolences.

Not your fault at all as has been said.

kimbers

thats terrible for everyone concerned

sounds like it wasnt anyones fault

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear that.

Nothing more than a terrible terrible accident.

clubber
    Free Member

Horrendous but definitely not your fault.

cranberry
    Free Member

Very sad for all involved, but obviously not in any way your fault.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

🙁

That’s bloody shite! Sorry to hear you’re feeling so bad about it – not your fault at all, though I can understand why you’d see it the way you do today.

donsimon
    Free Member

Bugger! 😥
    Follow the wise words of philly.

weeksy

oh **** hell…

Bad news for you, him and of course his family.

Condolences.

sofaking
    Free Member

As above have said, not your fault.
    terrible accident

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s normal to blame yourself even though you are not at all responsible for what has happened.

All the best to you, terribly sad event.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah man, that is awful. No-one’s fault, just a horrible accident.
    🙁

philconsequence
    Free Member

its totally cool to cry.

i’m welling up just trying to empathise how you’re feeling right now.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

sounds like it wasnt anyones fault

Um, the poor kid?

Convert, just imagine how the poor van driver is feeling.

ski
    Free Member

Very sad news

convert

Convert, just imagine how the poor van driver is feeling.

Agreed, the irony is I was posting about van drivers inadvertently running someone over and the risks of doing something stupid on the motorbike thread as I got the call.

signing off – fresh air and ride for me I think.

andyl
    Free Member

That is terrible and horrible for everyone involved. Waste of a young life 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

We can all see why you think you bear some responsibility but you dont
    You would not be human if you did not think like this but as we all know and have said it was not your fault
    Go and do your grieving and dont let it hang over you
    If you need help get it

aracer
    Free Member

Not your fault at all, though I’m sure I’d be feeling horribly guilty if I was in your position.

Definitely recommend some counselling if the bike ride doesn’t work. It helped a lot for me when a friend was severely injured in an incident which whilst not my fault at all I still wonder if I could have prevented if I’d done something different.

unklehomered
    Free Member

that’s terrible. Not your fault. Just shit shit luck really. I’ve shot onto unexpected road before. I suspect many people. You could spread blame over kids or parents, but it won’t help, there’s no point. A horrible unfortunate accident.

Life can be poo. Very often it is.

Here’s hoping the school/family/community do something awesome in his name.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

All you’ve done is introduce him and others to a great sport, something you should continue to do.

Kids sitting around doing nothing is far more dangerous.

Sad news for all involved.

aracer
    Free Member

All you’ve done is introduce him and others to a great sport, something you should continue to do.

Kids sitting around doing nothing is far more dangerous.

This. How many kids who didn’t have teachers as great as you will end up dying of obesity or inactivity related diseases?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bugger. 🙁

lowey

Can only echo what has been said, but mate, you were introducing this lad to a fine past time, one which had it not been for the accident would probably have given him great pleasure for all his life.

Terrible accident, go ride, get it out of your system. You wouldnt be human if you didnt feel terrible.

Deepest Condolences to all involved.

jamj1974

It is a tremendous shame the lad died so young and my heart really goes out to his family, friends and yourself as well. However Convert, you obviously gave him a new interest and helping him gain confidence and have a great time – no matter how he died you gave him something amazingly positive in his life.

An accident is simply an unforeseen event with negative consequences and resultantly no one saw this coming, not his parents, not himself and least of all you. Don’t blame yourself – instead try to remember if you can all the things you are doing for young people, both educating and widening horizons… Not many people can say this.

Take care

J

Onzadog
    Free Member

People have a natural talent for twisting perceptions to blame themselves with things like this. It’s a terrible accident like everyone says. Put your rational head on and just remind yourself of that occasionally over the coming weeks. However, as I’m sure you’re aware, feeling shit is an unavoidable part of the process.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

🙁

rosscopeco
    Free Member

How awful…it quickly puts everything else into perspective.

Easy for me to say this but you can’t go blaming yourself for this accident or someone elses horrible & tragic death.

Life is so fragile…you need to focus on how you influenced the boy for good and let that be your principle memory.

No other words really seem relevant…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sad news and a tragedy for all. 🙁

racefaceec90

that’s awful 🙁 my condolences to his family/friends.

therag
    Free Member

Wish I’d had a teacher like you.

BikeStyle_Billy
    Free Member

That is really awful.

I can imagine that I would feel the same in your position, but def not your fault. Just a really sh*t accident.

philconsequence
    Free Member

+100

wrecker
    Free Member

convert, is your school in north wales?

sefton
    Free Member

I’m sure there are a number of people feeling like they had a part to play, however I totally agree with the above

Nothing more than a terrible terrible accident.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I did, not mtbing, but sailing and windsurfing, on his own time after school, driving us to Ripon. It was great, I really looked forward to it each and every week.

Sound like OPs students did too. The bad feelings now are just the side effect of being a decent conscientious human being.

giantonagiant

“The bad feelings now are just the side effect of being a decent conscientious human being”.

Exactly what I was going to say.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Christ, that’s truly, truly awful and horrifically unlucky.

Heart goes out to all who knew him.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Arse – well I feel like shit now!’ is closed to new replies.