Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Arrrgghhh!! I've killed my bike!
  • spev

Can’t believe it, 20 years riding and that’s the first frame i’ve snapped. 🙁

Clean through the down tube just behind the gusset, luckily I heard it go as I was heading for a jump at the bottom of the Kilvey Hill DH track.
    Its less than a year old as well 🙁

its a sad day in the spev household

bigyinn
    Free Member

Warrantied?

jedi

what frame?

4ndyB
    Free Member

Does the manufacturer offer a crash damage reduced cost replacement scheme?

Lucky you heard it go, could have been a bit nasty that one.

legend
    Free Member

what sort of Cannondale was it ❓ 😉

4ndyB
    Free Member

what sort of Cannondale Lapierre Commencal bike was it

fixed that for ya….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What is it?

spev

It was a MmmBop, hopefully warranty will cover it, i’ll contact TheBikeChain in the morning and see what the procedure is. Dunno if it’s put me off another one or not though

4ndyB
    Free Member

from Ragley’s site

All Ragley Bike parts are warrantied for FIVE years for manufacturing defects (except the Ti frames that have a LIFETIME warranty for manufacturing defects). That is, should a product fail within five years because of something we did wrong, then we’ll replace it. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, improper assembly (such as crossed bottom bracket threads), poor maintenance or installation of parts and accessories not originally intended for, or compatible with the frame.

This warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferrable. However, due to the very fluid nature of some customers bike purchases, and the resale of second hand, partially used parts (you know who I mean), we’re prepared to stand, if not behind, but slightly to one side, of second hand owners. Seriously – if you bought it off Ebay and it snaps, get in touch and we’ll see what we can do.

Of course, we all know that stuff happens and things get broken. And if we made frames and parts to cover all eventualities, and tested for “crashing into car-park roofs at high speed” you’d never lift our stuff. So, on cases where a genuine accident has caused a frame and/or rigid fork to be damaged beyond repair, we would like to make this offer in recognition of your support.

Depending on the age of the frame or component, we will replace the part with the same, or nearest equivalent, at a reduced cost of the retail price at the date of claim on the following scale:

* In years 1, replacement cost will be 50% of retail price.
    * In year 2 and 3, replacement cost will be 75% of retail price.
    * In years 3 and over, any discount will be at the discretion of Ragley Bikes.

This offer is a gesture of goodwill.

The owner will be responsible for the cost of carriage in returning the frame/forks to us or our agents

spev

Not sure why it failed really, its cracked around the down tube immediately behind the gusset, suggesting the gusset really wasn’t doing its job 🙂

ah well i’ll see what happens, at least it gives me an excuse to build up my Marin Attack Trail

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

ah. noticed your very last sentence. I’ve been through 2 marin quake frames and a quad tara frame. trance, 456 and spesh demo have all been fine…

by “through” i mean cracks found on each of them. my 09 wolf ridge is 1 month old and doing fine so far though 😀

ojom
    Free Member

geez a holler in the morning and we will sort out a replacement for you. The only thing is… there might not be an mmmbop available from the land of Hotlines. You will have some options.

Anyway, speak tomorrow.

Mark

spev

Will do Mark, cheers

brant
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear that Spev.

We’ll be interested to see the broken frame. Mark – can you keep me updated please.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It was a MmmBop

3.5lb aluminium hardtail frames probably arent the best thing to be riding downhill tracks and doing jumps on.

hora
    Free Member

Replace it with that Digger288 thats been featured in this months DIRT?

cynic-al
    Free Member

yeah rider error or wear and tear LOL…or had you fitted some incompatible parts?

hora
    Free Member

What like Boxxer forks?!!

float
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    It was a MmmBop
    3.5lb aluminium hardtail frames probably arent the best thing to be riding downhill tracks and doing jumps on

the DH track is just its name, its not a proper DH track.

haggis1978

welding head tube gussets onto the down tube creates stress risers within the down tube. From an engineering point of view head tube gussets are not a very sound idea but give the impression that they make this junction stronger. Direct from the mouth of a US custom Ti frame building genius to me and from me to you 😉

toys19
    Free Member

welding head tube gussets onto the down tube creates stress risers within the down tube. From an engineering point of view head tube gussets are not a very sound idea but give the impression that they make this junction stronger. Direct from the mouth of a US custom Ti frame building genius to me and from me to you

Ha ha.

Don’t you think that perhaps Brant and his fabricators might have considered the gusset, its placement and its effect?

hora
    Free Member

He might have popped it there so it looks gnarly?

brant
    Free Member

Direct from the mouth of a US custom Ti frame building genius to me and from me to you

Lynskey agree. In Ti. The mmmbop isn’t Ti, so Ti rules don’t apply.

bullheart
    Free Member

Hmmmm…..

Interesting.

I’m not a huge fan of Ragley’s, but I’m fairly surprised it broke. You can’t really argue with their toughasnailsability!

toys19
    Free Member

Sometimes things break, the best thing is the bike shop and the bike brand have responded with an offer of sorting it out.

brant
    Free Member

I’m not a huge fan of Ragley’s, but I’m fairly surprised it broke.

First mmmbop I’ve heard broken. Really interested to see why.

Pagey’s been riding one a fair bit. Until he got his Mega. Didn’t break it, even though it was built “a bit odd” and does “some big gaps”

http://www.ragleybikes.com/2010/05/pageys-mmmbop/

hora
    Free Member

Hope your ok Brant? Mended(ing)

brant
    Free Member

Hope your ok Brant? Mended(ing)

I’m not broken. Did you hear I was broken?

hora
    Free Member

We’ve been “knocking around” (as they say around here) with Nigel Page for a while now. He’s Team Manager at CRC Intense, and with CRC being the biggest Ragley dealer (after The Bicycle Shop in Skipton), we sort of ended up chatting a bit back. Since then, he’s ridden some trails with us, I’ve ridden some DH with him, which resulted in me trashing his Intense Socom and ending up in hospita

brant
    Free Member
    hora
    Free Member

Ouch, this will already been asked but that much damage to the fork?

Sure its not fatigue that contributed/caused the accident?

brant
    Free Member

Sure its not fatigue that contributed/caused the accident?

I think sending it off a big drop, rather than prejumping was probably the cause.

The only fatigue was me being a bit tired.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is it not generally accepted that crack = fatigue, bend = single large impact?

toys19
    Free Member

With cast stuff like that fork leg is most likely to be, a fracture may well be brittle, especially if its constrained, you can tell by looking at the fracture surfaces under a microscope.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pffft…you must be an amateur, some folk can tell over the internet!

toys19
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Pffft…you must be an amateur, some folk can tell over the internet!

😆

spev

Bike was built with Pike 426’s, midweight wheels and a mix of slx/xt and mid range “all mountain” kit i’m certainly not launching it off massive jumps but I don’t avoid any that I think i can ride. I certainly would’nt describe myself as a DH loony.

Brant I can send you some photos of the frame if you want

hora
    Free Member

Well good that your ok now? 🙂

Mind you, the hospital could have done something about that mad-scientist look that you have going on? 😆

wheelz
    Free Member

I also broke an MmmBop frame. Bent it rather badly on the top tube and down tube. Didn’t actually snap though.

Didn’t bother checking warranty, as I don’t think anyone warrants a frame to be crashed at speed into a large rock – and when I say large, it was taller than me!

After hitting the rock, the bike fell over and I fell on top of it. I think this is what caused the bends, rather than the initial impact. The ground was very rocky, with big spikey rocks!

I replaced with with another MmmBop frame (same colour and everything) which I then proceeded to dent quite badly in a not dissimiliar crash.

You can see why I’ve been nicknamed Conan by my riding mates!

Now got a Cotic BFe and, so far, I haven’t even damaged the paint! (more a reflection of my newly cautious riding style than anything else).

ojom
    Free Member

spev – the pics have been sent over to H’lines and Brant too.

Email on it’s way to you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Arrrgghhh!! I've killed my bike!’ is closed to new replies.