Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • arrogant posh boys
  • anagallis_arvensis

What is the stw view on government and mp’s. I think all parties should make more effort to have people who reflect the socio economic structure of the society it serves. Can people like Cameron, Osbourne and indeed Clegg And Blair and Brown and Balls etc etc. have the insight needed to help/understand everyone in our country?

DezB
    Free Member

Saw that interview on the news. At no point did Cameron say “I am not an arrogant posh-boy” or “I know the price of milk”.

wrecker
    Free Member

And Blair and Brown and Balls etc etc.

wwaswas

three quarters of the cabinet are millionaires.

I’m not sure if I want the country run by paupers with no track record of making good fiscal choices or millionaires who’ll always have half an eye on protecting their own wealth, tbh.

Klunk
    Free Member

to have people who reflect the socio economic structure of the society it serves.

as far as Osbourne is concerned he’s spot on, he only knows 10 people and they all work in the city.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The only downside of the description is that it was given by Nadine Dorries, a religious fanatic who believes that homosexuality is an illness that can be cured by jesus.

anagallis_arvensis

And Blair and Brown and Balls etc etc.

indeed, have changed it

anagallis_arvensis

wwwaswas, not all poor people have made poor fiscal choices and not all rich people have made good fiscal choices. But surely some balance would be appropriate.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Brown is not a posh boy. Not in the way that Cameron and Osbourne are. he is about as middle classes they come.

anagallis_arvensis

TJ lets not worry about such details please, its the overall picture that I wont to know peoples views on.
    Can a working class person become an MP these days?

derekrides
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    The only downside of the description is that it was given by Nadine Dorries, a religious fanatic who believes that homosexuality is an illness that can be cured by jesus [Url=http://www.hetracil.com]Hetracil[/url]

FTFY

kimbers

as woppit says – while i consider cameron and osborne to be elitist anachronisms who are doing their best to widen inequality and destroy nhs, welfare, education and society in general

they are both preferable to nadine dorries

coffeeking
    Free Member

wwwaswas, not all poor people have made poor fiscal choices

I’d say that was a fairly tough one to argue, unless they choose to be poor, in which case I’m not sure they’re the best person to guide a country.

not all rich people have made good fiscal choices

This, on the other hand, is true.

However to suggest either side is incapable of seeing the others point of view is a bit daft.

derekrides
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Brown is not a posh boy.

He made that very clear in his assumption of the true value of Gold.

AS to the other two, I do tend to agree, Osbourne particularly, but heaven help us, what alternative do we have? You can’t seriously consider that back stabbing moron and Balls?

We so need a new political force in this country.

binners

A good article in Yesterdays Guardian, provoked by this weeks Spectator main piece – Planet London

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/22/local-government-federal-uk-politics?INTCMP=SRCH

Basically, whatever colour the government, we’re ruled by a remote, cossetted elite who snear at everyone outside their own immediate circle.

its needs to change, because they’re looking after their own interests to the utter exclusion of everyone else

CaptJon
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    TJ lets not worry about such details please, its the overall picture that I wont to know peoples views on.
    Can a working class person become an MP these days?

It is difficult to define what working class is.

anagallis_arvensis

wwwaswas, not all poor people have made poor fiscal choices

I’d say that was a fairly tough one to argue, unless they choose to be poor, in which case I’m not sure they’re the best person to guide a country.

If you have no money to start with and struggle to get a job that pays much you have very few fiscal choices to make. Todays fiscal choice do I buy food or heat the house?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Yes, let’s only vote for people who are like 99% of the UK population.

This is the new cabinet:

On the plus side, there’ll be a new TV channel that only shows reality TV and the tax on Greggs pasties will be removed.

wrecker
    Free Member

Brown is not a posh boy. Not in the way that Cameron and Osbourne are. he is about as middle classes they come

Son of the manse?
    If Brown is an example of a middle class politician, then we should really stick with the posh boys.

anagallis_arvensis

It is difficult to define what working class is.

Someone who has a job and doesnt need or have a degree?

anagallis_arvensis

tree-magnet… much worse than this for understanding what life is like for most

hels
    Free Member

Didn’t labour already try that kind of social engineering by favouring women in the candidate selection process ??

Two further points: 1. the underlying assumption that the power is in the hands of the elected representatives 2. if you accept that, we vote for these people, perhaps try not voting for white toffs ?

I vote for women candidates whatever the party. By luck, or some might say design, this has never resulted in me having to vote Conservative. Funny that. If there are two women, which I think has only happened once, then it was best haircut. Once, there were no women, so I voted for the most obviously not a Toff.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Why do they have to understand what life is like for the majority of us? Genuinly interested in what advantages this will give.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed wrecker – that where brown comes from and not from a rich area. he went to the local state schools

Not in the same class as Blair, Cameron , Osbourne who are arrogant posh boys

wrecker
    Free Member

I vote for women candidates whatever the party.

Funny, I never vote for women.

jota180
    Free Member

What staggers me about CMD and Gideon is just how unpopular have you got to be for an idiot like Milliband to have a 13 point lead in the polls over you mid term or not?

I can only imagine what the polls would say if they had a creditable opponent

binners

Every time I see that picture, my thoughts turn to assault rifles. Don’t know why

br
    Free Member

Basically, whatever colour the government, we’re ruled by a remote, cossetted elite who snear at everyone outside their own immediate circle.

Pretty much like any top-of-the-tree organisation – but as others have said, I’m not sure if alternatives (of UK culture) would give us anything different.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Would you actually want the people in TreeMagnets picture making strategic decisions about how this country will operate?

We need educated people running the shop. And, it’s a FACT of life, educated people tend to do better than non-educated people – and, as such, tend to have more of the trappings of middle/upper class.

The thought of letting a bunch of leisure wear, scratch card and fag addicts run the country when they seemingly need Jeremy Kyle to tell them how to talk to their own children is worrying.

Personally – I don’t think the working class (or below) should even be allowed to vote.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tree Magnet – it might help stop some of the real absurdities they come out with about people they do not understand and might mean some more realistic social policy that does some good rather than playing to the prejudices

Sandwich

Son of the manse?

In an unique position. Middle class in outlook and behaviour, working class income. Said by someone cleverer than I on Desert Island Discs when describing her home life as a vicars daughter.

CaptJon
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Someone who has a job and doesnt need or have a degree?

You’re ruling out a lot of people there. I teach undergrads who fit other definitions of working class (parents jobs, income level, where they grew up etc).

anagallis_arvensis

Why do they have to understand what life is like for the majority of us? Genuinly interested in what advantages this will give.

This question genuinely staggers me. As a small example, if we want to get the long term benefit climents back into work surely it might be better if someone knew something about what their life was like and why they have been on benefits so long?

binners

So its toffs or dole scum? With nothing in between?

How about they take it in turns

Oh…. erm….. actually….

ransos
    Free Member

You’re assuming that poor people have the choice to not be poor. That very often isn’t the case.

toys19
    Free Member

If democracy was truly representative then we would be in a much worse state than we are, what we need is more pressure to amke govt more transparent, but hopefully keep the elite (ie the cleverest and most ballsy) in power as we don’t want thick layabouts making improtant decisions for us. (not the the working classes are, my definition of elite is: clever and ballsy , and is utterly unrelated to received wealth/title)

grum
    Free Member

That they might not just act in the interests of their own narrow elite?

anagallis_arvensis

You’re ruling out a lot of people there. I teach undergrads who fit other definitions of working class (parents jobs, income level, where they grew up etc).

indeed, but if you want a definition you have to start somewhere. I think if you go to uni regardless of what your parents do you are middle class. For example I have a lorry driving, step dad, a farm manager father who died when I was younf and a nurse mum, they are working class. I went to uni and am now a teacher, middle class, despite the fact a lot of brick layers, car mechanics or indeed fuel tanker drivers who are working class are paid more than me. But this is a side issue really. to the thread.

CaptJon
    Free Member

It’s disheartening to see some posters think working class = thick, lazy and fat.

Blower
    Free Member

despite the fact a lot of brick layers

not not more or at least up ere we arent

i am lower class 😀 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘arrogant posh boys’ is closed to new replies.