Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Arran with two kids
  • chrisski33
    Free Member

Im going camping to isle of arran staying at Lochranza with my 7yr old and 9yr old. Whilst my 9 yr old son is bike daft my 7yr old isnt as daft or as confident however still enjoys biking.
    I know there are good biking to be found on arran but not sure if any that my 7yr old would like so not sure if worth taking the bikes.
    Thoughts?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lots to type mate, too much for phone, I’ll post up from work pc tomoro!. 👌🏻

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Arran is awesome for Road and MTB riding, but purely because of the geography of the island, there isn’t much for the beginner/kids of any distance. It’s obviously very mountainous with steep hillsides falling away to the coast, meaning the traffic is pretty much confined to the coast road, and the two bisecting roads, the string and the ross.

There are a few wee bits n bobs about that would be cool for the kids, around Brodick castle, Around the north and south of Lamlash, and there’s a wee bit more in the Shiskine/Blackwaterfoot area, as it’s slightly flatter.

In terms of Lochranza, for the youngest, there’s only really the wee track that goes around the NE of the town to the Cock of Arran, mibbe a couple of miles of stuff. The bigger one might manage the up n over to Laggan Cottage, which is bloody stunning tbh. It’s an out and back, he’ll be pushing at the start, and then again when you turn around at half way.

Make sure and book the stags restaurant at the campsite if you need it, the food is awesome but it books out pretty much every weekend. And get them walked up to Coire Fionn Lochan as well, it’s bloody stunning, and not far. Machrie standing stones and Kings caves are great too.

Gimme a PM if you want any other suggestions, it’s an amazing island.

Above CFL below, Kintyre and Jura behind…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2bpdoep]Arran Sept 2018[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

And the view from the top of Beinn Bhreac….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2a1A5ae]Arran Sept 2018[/url] by nobeerinthefridge, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kahurangi

The track to Machrie standing stones isn’t very long and might be worth attempting with a reluctant cyclist. You could ditch bikes and walk the rest of the way up to the stones if needed.

And the cafe at Lagg is great. Opposite end of the island but keen cyclists and they’d be keen to share knowledge on riding on the island.

towzer

Can go from cordon to clauchlands point , quiet road,pavement bit near middle of lamlash, tracks, green, it’s flat, should be a cafe at lamlash pier

Take smidge and nets for Lochranza – honest, distillery cafe was nice

If you go to kildonan below hotel in early am or eve you will see seals and hopefully otters, food at hotel was ok

From kilmory to back of lamlash can be done (marked as cycle track) but is hilly in bits and it’s way, way too long for kids

You can go up glen Rosa a bit on bikes on s side of river, would not do n side with kids

Was a Nice cafe on seafront at whiting bay and can walk up zig zags to giants graves which is a good view/picnic spot but hilly

Bit of a trek but you could ferry to claonaig and then drive to Crinan canal, it’s a lovely bike bimble, esp into the crinan end

*cafe type info may be out of date now

tdog
    Free Member

Jura is really pleasant to cycle round I found

chrisski33
    Free Member

thanks for the suggestions folk. i may just use feet on this visit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Arran with two kids’ is closed to new replies.