Army providing security at the olympics!

Home Forum Chat Forum Army providing security at the olympics!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Army providing security at the olympics!
  • No. They’ll get their leave cancelled though and the piss poor G4S conglomerate will still get paid in full rather than heavily fined and blacklisted from future government contracts.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Another private company who happen to make conspicuously large donations to the Tory party, wins contract worth hundreds of millions, then fails to deliver. Quelle surprise!!!!

But not to worry. They’ll still get paid in full though. By us. Plus, as we’re paying the soldiers wages, we’ll have shelled out twice

And so the gravy train continues…..

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

private sector being bailed out by public sector workers, again…….

its even better than that though, G4S will soon be taking over a police force near you!

despite reaching dizzying heights of incompetence the hefty donations to camerons coffers will ensure that they will be winning plenty of fat contracts in the great police sell off!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9345747/Police-privatisation-to-spread-says-G4S-executive.html

CaptJon

Are G4S paying tax on the money they are getting? Because certain other companies involved in the Games aren’t.

neninja

Another private company who happen to make conspicuously large donations to the Tory party, wins contract worth hundreds of millions, then fails to deliver. Quelle surprise!!!!

They were probably giving Labour large donations before as that’s who gave them so many contracts to start with including this one.

bikebouy

Homeland security function sitting around doing drills – tick
    Get them to do something useful and keep us safe – tick

Problem with that??

Zulu-Eleven

Another private company who happen to make conspicuously large donations to the Tory party wins contract worth hundreds of millions…

Who were awarded the olympic security contract while Labour were still in power

…But not to worry. They’ll still get paid in full though

Which would depend on the penalty clauses written into the contract by the Labour government that awarded it

🙄

highclimber

What’s G4S’s take on the situation? I suspect they’ll blame the vetting process for shortfalls or some crap.

Ro5ey

Tin Hat time guys…

Quite handy having 3500 troops on the ground, don’t you think ?

Not sure it’s in the “Olympic spirit” for security to be provided by the Army and it would have hardly been the best marketing tool to attract punters by saying we are really really worried by the terrorist risk so we’re basically militarizing the Olympic Village

jonba

Do you think they’ll get a bonus?

loum

Quite happy that the army will be there myself:
    I think they’re the best men for the job and would think the games should be safer due to them being there,
    and also idealogically, I’m happier to see them being used to defend this country from potential threat than in overseas territories were the locals don’t appear to want them.

Feel angry for the lads doing the work though. Many will have p45s in their pockets due to the recent cuts, while G4S director’s will be sipping their champers in corporate boxes after p155ing their £300 million contract up the wall. They should now be blacklisted.

On the question of timing. I’m glad the change is so late as any threats will have been planning for a long time to be up against private security companies, maybe even trying to infiltrate them, and this will pi55 on those plans. If our leaders had planned to have the army there all along, better off announcing it late anyway (although I’m not sure they deserve that credit, more likely a genuine balls up)

worth trying to get #blacklistG4S trending or something?

Gunz

Whilst in no way denigrating the majority role the Army is taking in all this can I parochially mention that there’s a good chunk of the RN and RAF getting mucked around as well. Thank you.

Premier Icon MrOvershoot
    Subscriber

G4S do our security on site, blokes on the ground are just about OK their managers I wouldn’t trust to sit the right way round on a toilet.

Didn’t shock me in the slightest when I heard this news.

ernie_lynch

Zulu-Eleven – Member

Who were awarded the olympic security contract while Labour were still in power

Which would depend on the penalty clauses written into the contract by the Labour government that awarded it

🙄

No, they were awarded the Olympic security contract in March last year.

There was no Labour government in March last year.

http://www.london2012.com/news/articles/2011/3/g4s-chosen-as-official-london-2012-security-services-pro.html

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Maybe someone should have told them what yeat the 2012 olympics were, then they could have prepared.

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

But not to worry. They’ll still get paid in full though. By us. Plus, as we’re paying the soldiers wages, we’ll have shelled out twice

And so the gravy train continues…..

it boils my P— because its true.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Problem with that??

Well… just that we’ve already paid someone else £300 million quid to take care of it. Just a minor detail.

I know labour will be equally as guilty of trousering donations from the likes of G4S and awarding contracts. The difference is the size and importance f the contracts. Remember that the Tories are busy telling us that we’d all be a lot better off if these muppets were essentially handed responsibility for our Policing, and god knows what else!

Ro5ey

“Well… just that we’ve already paid someone else £300 million quid to take care of it. Just a minor detail.”

You sounds as if you don’t think this was planned ?

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

reading some of the stories from people signed up to work for G4S over the games is quite an eyeopener

check out the comments……..
    https://www.facebook.com/securinglondon2012

and people have been complaining on there for well over a month

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Yes… by the sound of it, its not like there are just a few things that need ironing out. It sounds like the whole thing is a complete and utter shambles!!!

So they’re busy deploying surface to air missiles etc, yet the people on the ground, the real front line of any security, appears to be in absolute chaos

ernie_lynch

It sounds like the whole thing is a complete and utter shambles!!!

Well if you believe that then Olympic security should be the least of your worries.

G4S chief predicts mass police privatisation

“Private companies will be running large parts of the police service within five years, according to security firm head”

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

The thing is; G4S have an appalling reputation anyway. Everything they touch, turns to shit!

But facts aren’t something that interest our lords and masters is it? Just myopic ideology and cold, hard cash, preferably in brown envelopes

ernie_lynch

G4S have an appalling reputation anyway

They are the largest security company in the world, the world’s third-largest private sector employer, and they make hundreds of millions of pounds worth of profit every year. They sound like an excellent private company – isn’t the whole goal to make large amounts of profits ?

wrecker

“Private companies will be running large parts of the police service within five years, according to security firm head”

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

id buy that for a dollar!

bencooper

Apparently, the problem is not with the 3000 paid workers G4S was contracted to provide, it’s with the 6000 “volunteer” unpaid workers.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Now that’d sort out the security. You have 15 seconds to comply….

Macgyver

Politics aside, the guys and gals from the Army and Navy were polite and witty (although possibly a little bored)when I went on site on Monday from the ones manning the security/scanners etc to the few that were tucked away in descrete corners with tarps set up to keep them dry.
    I’d prefer any of them to G4S every time.

chris23

I’m Airforce, wife works for G4S. I knew of this about a month or so ago. From are lass, G4S has had massive recruitment problems. It seems that everybody in the UK is employed and doesn’t need a job.

Roll on another Cr@p summer

bencooper

It seems that everybody in the UK is employed and doesn’t need a job.

From what I’ve heard, people would love a job – as long as it’s an actual job which pays money, not a “volunteer for this or we’ll stop your dole” job.

Gunz

So they’re busy deploying surface to air missiles etc, yet the people on the ground, the real front line of any security, appears to be in absolute chaos

Does bring up the possibility of a SAM being the only security option. Disturbing the peace, wooosh. Pick pocketing, wooosh. Littering, wooosh. I’d watch that.

Premier Icon davetrave
    Subscriber

No, not sitting around doing drills – just back from or just about to go to Afghanistan and were about to do something else “useful” like have some post/pre tour leave with their families…

wrecker

G4S has had massive recruitment problems.

http://careers.g4s.com/jobs/Security-Officer_4771/
    I wonder why……..
    Compare this with the job of domestic assistant (cleaner)
    http://careers.g4s.com/jobs/Domestic-Assistant_4799/

Personally, I’d blacklist them completely and remove the costs of using the military from their contract sum in the hope that the company **** off and is replaced by one which is less incompetent.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

you see the problem is wrecker that Sir Malcolm Rifkind former tory defense secretary is chairman of Armourgroup ( also dogged by scandals of their series of fucups and corruption in afgahnistan as a private security company) who are owned by G4S

(rifkind is also a non-exec director of Unilever who are an olympic sponsor)

so basically im sure that G4S are safe

wrecker

Some friends of mine worked for armourgroup as PSCs. Never heard a good word about them.

grum

From are lass, G4S has had massive recruitment problems. It seems that everybody in the UK is employed and doesn’t need a job.

It seems that not many people in the UK want a job that pays so little that you can barely afford to live off it, and offers crap conditions, from a company raking in millions of pounds in profits from the taxpayer.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

to be honest I didnt think that terrorism would be a problem at the games but if alqueda are reading stories like this one hen i imagine they feel like it might be quite easy…..

Another reader writes to share his experience of working for G4S:

The training has been very, very basic, and even though I have been assigned the role of x-ray operator, I have hardly had any training for this role. I had a whole day sitting at a computer on a simulated x-ray machine program and I did very badly on the tests that we had to do, having to retake many of them several times. I asked the trainer what happens if we fail them and he said we just keep retaking the tests, which are the same every time, until we get them right. I asked him if he thinks it’s a good idea that people who have failed so many times should be x-ray operators and he said that they are short on x-ray operators so that would be my role.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

£6 an hour? Who could ask for more. They’re obviously looking to attract high calibre candidates.

I presume that’s the lot. No expenses or owt. Hmmmmm now let me think…. during that period of the Olympics, where would the most expensive place in the universe be? with the price of everything hiked into the stratosphere? Central London perhaps? Your £6 an hour won’t go far

I wonder if this cock-up is going to effect the board of G4S awarding themselves an obscenely large Olympic bonus? On top of their astronomical salaries? Hmmmmmmm …. I wonder?

mikertroid

I knew about the G4S ballsup a month ago; the lads and lasses deployed to the Olympics have some pretty rubbish accommodation sadly.

I’m guessing they’d all swallow this as part of their role if they knew G4S wouldn’t be milking it in; sadly troops are getting battle weary, no they’re not practicing drill, and they need to be handled with respect especially as we’ve sacked a load and are going to sack a load more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Army providing security at the olympics!’ is closed to new replies.