Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Army form B. 104 – 80B
  • jimdubleyou

We have a scan of one of these forms pertaining to my Grandad from WW2.

It states on the form “Was removed all lists on 7th January 44

Is this a euphemism for dying or does it mean something else?

I ask, because he definitely wasn’t dead, I know this for sure as I went to his funeral in 2002!

perchypanther
    Free Member

I ask, because he definitely wasn’t dead, I know this for sure as I went to his funeral in 2002!

That wasn’t your real grandad. That was a Russian sleeper agent.

jimdubleyou

That was a Russian sleeper agent.

не выдавай наши секреты товарищ

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

From what I have read about the war it can be many things, but often it is because they were retired because of ill health / fatigue etc.

In fact a book I have just completed did just that – the person the book was written about (Colonel Graham Chaplin, commander of the Cameron Highlanders) was in army records throughout but he was eventually promoted to a Brigadier then he had to retire through ill health and suddenly he was removed from all lists from that date onwards and the author couldn’t find anything else out about him, despite having detailed records of his almost 4 years in the trenches.

perchypanther
    Free Member
    Садящаяся пантера приносит извинения товарищу
    maccruiskeen

My gf was on the phone to an insurance company and when she stated that she was from Ayrshire the person on the other end of the phone launched into a long anecdote about their ‘great grandad who had died in the war’ and all the efforts they’d gone to to find out what had happened to him because they couldn’t find any records about him pertaining to any military service or how he’d met his end.

Anyway…. long story short – the reason why the mention of Ayrshire lead to this story being told was that it turned out ‘Died in the war’ meant  “run over by a bus on Prestwick high street in 1943”

perchypanther
    Free Member

To be fair, anyone who’s brave enough to venture into Prestwick  High Street probably deserves a medal of some sort.

DickBarton

Хватит хвастаться своим модным чатом

jimdubleyou

From what I have read about the war it can be many things, but often it is because they were retired because of ill health / fatigue etc.

Ok, that makes sense – he’d just been paralysed* from being shot in the back so not much use to the Army after that!

*temporarily

Drac

No sparrow is flying high over the market square.

koldun
    Free Member

Te yveren sto govorish po rysski?

kja78
    Free Member

I asked the curator of the Museum of Army Chaplaincy, as he is a fount of knowledge on stuff like this. The only thing he was able to tell me is that that particular form was ‘Notification of transfer to hospital.’ I suspect it means he was removed from all lists held by his Regiment/Battalion – pay, food, kit etc.

jimdubleyou

@kja78 – that’s top sleuthing. Thanks!

mefty
    Free Member

Presumably you are in NW Hampshire kja, I think it is simply when they leave the army for whatever reason, at the beginning of 1944 that is likely to be injury.

kja78
    Free Member

No, I’m in Wiltshire, but I’m a padre so know the museum curator well enough to give him a shout on FB messenger!

He’s in the process of packing up and moving the museum at the moment, so prob not quite as helpful as usual!

mefty
    Free Member

Are they just moving the Museum or the whole HQ again.

kja78
    Free Member

Amport House is closing and AFCC is moving to Shrivenham.

mefty
    Free Member

Another part of my youth disappears, I remember when the Army Chaplain were in Bagshot and my father being very sniffy about the RAF ones at Amport.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Army form B. 104 – 80B’ is closed to new replies.