Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Armchair GPs to the forum?
  • Cougar

A couple of days ago, thanks to the recent addition of a cat to Chez Cougar, I slipped on the stairs and sustained a couple of mildly impressive carpet burns. I’ve got a stripe down my shin several inches long and a patch maybe the size of a 2p on my other kneecap.

I did the clearly sensible thing which was to slather it in Savlon and otherwise ignore it. 24 hours later, my knee was looking a bit grotty from rolling around in my jeans all day so this morning I slapped a hydrocolloid dressing on it.

Now it feels hot both in itself and to the touch. Slipped off my jeans (steady now girls) and I can see the hydrocolloid is doing its thing but the surrounding area, like my whole kneecap, is angrily red and inflamed. So I’ve just popped a couple of Ibuprofen.

Question is: do I bother the doctor tomorrow with something as utterly pathetic as a carpet burn, or is the inflammation cause for concern and I’m doing to get sepsis and die? Only, y’know, if my epitaph is going to be “death by carpet burns” I’d at least have wanted to sustain them under more fun circumstances.

Drac

Cellulitis it’s pretty nasty GP tomorrow.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Call your GP in the morning, the heat and swelling is probably nothing but also possibly really not good in the “ohhh you can loose a leg in less than a week, who knew,” sort of way.

Oh and bad cat aids, obviously.

geomickb
    Free Member

Wife is a nurse and sees a lot of wounds. She says get to a GP.

Also, it does sound a lot like cat aids.

Cougar

Bother. Cheers all.

frankconway

Shouldn’t have used Savlon; Sudocrem for anything cat-related.

tthew

Sudocrem for anything cat-related

Hat. 👏👏

Cougar

🤣

franksinatra

If it is cat aids it is good aids, not bad aids, so that is okay

Sandwich

Came for the upholstery banter, is disappointed.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

If you notice a pinkish or reddish line snaking upwards that looks it might be following an artery/vein, get thee to the doctor for with, that’s septicemia.

Flaperon

My GP has a nurse in attendance most days to look at stuff like this. I did a similar thing after slipping on some wet leaves and tearing a chunk out of my knee. Was able to see the nurse the next day and she gave it a thorough cleaning and dressed it properly. They also gave me a stack of replacement hydrocolloid dressings.

Mild inflammation and redness around a wound is normal. It did look absolutely vile for a couple of weeks.

DrJ

Slightly confused by the notion of “going to the GP tomorrow”. Did you predict this injury 2 weeks ago and make a speculative appointment?

funkmasterp

I’m feline like this needs more backstory. How did procuring a cat result in falling downstairs and carpet burns?

Scapegoat

How did procuring a cat result in falling downstairs and carpet burns?

Lard moment? If it’s anything like the time my Dad came in drunk and slipped on the cooking fat in the hallway. At least I think that’s what he said it was……..

DrP

THings like the are, I guess, the equivalent of falling on your arse..

Yeah, it’s a daft mechanism of injury, but it’s an injury just the same…
    I’d get it checked out TBH…

If anything, just so your doctor can call you a ‘cat AID riddled numpty’…

DrP

natrix
    Free Member

THings like the are,

Spoken like a proper doctor…………

DrP

😀

It’s the ‘handwriting to text’ app.. 😉

DrP

stumpyjon

“going to the GP tomorrow”

Our Go is pretty good, when i did my rotator cuff I went in the surgery at 8.10, got an appointment for 11.00am, receptionistmwas very apologetic it was the earliest they could manage.

Cougar

GP seen, antibiotics acquired. Cheers.

Slightly confused by the notion of “going to the GP tomorrow”. Did you predict this injury 2 weeks ago and make a speculative appointment?

My GP only takes same-day bookings, you can’t (to my knowledge) book farther ahead than that.

jimw
    Free Member

Slightly confused by the notion of “going to the GP tomorrow”. Did you predict this injury 2 weeks ago and make a speculative

My GP practice operates with some advance bookings available, usually a 6-10 day wait, or if needed they have on the day slots to phone or book online released at 8.30 am. For example, I went online to get booking at 8.30am this morning and had an appointment at 9.20am. Very pleased with this service. However, they are limited and if you don’t get in early enough……

How long they will be able to sustain this level of service, I am not sure

wordnumb
    Free Member

*chuckles at people telling “Cougar” he may have cat-aids*

Drac

GP seen, antibiotics acquired. Cheers.

🖐🏻🎤

Cougar

Well, I don’t know if it’s the infection or the antibiotics or just a coincidence, but it would appear that I can no longer trust farts.

Drac

Yeah it’ll be the antibiotics they kill all the bacteria including the good ones.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I forget if you are vegan or vegetarian? Can you eat yoghurt? If so, get some that have active cultures of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus possibly with added bifidobacteria. Really helps with that. Unless you are taking ciproflaxon (?), it interferes with the absorbtion of that.

If you can’t eat yoghurt you can get the cultures in a capsule in some supplement/health food places.

MoreCashThanDash

My guts become very unreliable with antibiotics. I’m classed as allergic to the very strong ones.

Mind you, my stomach isn’t overly keen on ibruprofen at the moment either

Cougar

It’s some penicillin variant.

I’m good with yoghurt, I’ll give that a go (though I’m less convinced about biffidum madeupium). Cheers.

singletrackmind

Yuckalt drink is full of Madeupis Goodforu bacteria , might help with the sharts

scaredypants

8 hours or so is bloody fast for an effect on gut flora and if it’s flucloxacillin (and it probably should be) it has minimal effect on gut bacteria anyway. What it does do, especially if they gave you a manly man’s dose of a gram four times a day, is go right through some people – pretty much literally because only around half of it is absorbed and the rest irritates your bowel and gives you the splats.

All the yoghurt in the world won’t save you. Take it on an empty stomach to maximise the absorption and stop farting.

[Very likely much too early for it to do this too, but if you get the pale stool, dark urine going on, that could also be the drug and you should chat to the GP about that one]

happy sharting !

Cougar

if it’s flucloxacillin (and it probably should be)

It is.

if they gave you a manly man’s dose of a gram four times a day

Half that, 500mg x4.

Cheers.

tomhoward

I trust you are waving your emergency Union Jack when taking the antibiotics, to ward off further cat related infection?

Cougar

🤣 That’s where I’m going wrong, of course. I’ll see if I can find one in Tesco.

Cougar

One thing with hydrocolloid dressings, you can see the revolting colours it’s producing. Today’s is a sort of bronchitis green, which I’m assuming is an improvement on the shart brown from yesterday.

CountZero

Shouldn’t have used Savlon; Sudocrem for anything cat-related.

Very well done, first Sudocrem/cat mention in 2020! 👍🏼👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🤣

*chuckles at people telling “Cougar” he may have cat-aids*

🤣

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Armchair GPs to the forum?’ is closed to new replies.