Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Arm pain-what to change?
  • MrPottatoHead

Wonder if this resonates with anyone who might have some suggestions on setup or exercises to try.

I’ve been riding the same setup on Zwift for years with no issues, but this year I’ve upped my mileage quite a lot; bought rocker plates and generally finding the whole experience far more comfortable.

However for some reason I’m getting a pain/discomfort in my right arm that feels like it extends from lower bicep across inner elbow (elbow pit?) and into forearm. It does feel like muscle strain but I don’t feel I’m putting and pressure on it.

And I’m a Lefty, so it’s definitely not THAT.

chrisyork

I also have what I can only describe as pain in my bicep if I lift my arm above my shoulders…. For example if I was to bend my arm and bring it back in line with my shoulders and then raise it, the pain is horrible!

I did via Ferrata, ninja warrior and possibly a bad gym session back in September and still got it. Doc suggested possible rotator cuff but not getting better so I’m having physio for it now, this week will be my first session after consultation! One thing he said was I was quite rounded in the shoulders which I’m working on, shrug shoulders up, push them backwards and then down…… you not done anything specific to cause it that you can think of? Work from home? Desk different height to when you were at work? Just a few thoughts

mattbee

Could be Golfers/Tennis elbow. (Can’t remember which way round they are, one inside and one outside the forearm/elbow!)

13thfloormonk

Sounds a little bit like golfer’s elbow, which I’m suffering with just now.

Causes for me are either RSI from mouse and keyboard, or too much smartphone use!

I think Golfer’s elbow in particular results from spending too much time with your wrist rotated palm flat on table (as if using a conventional mouse). Not dissimilar to riding with hands on the tops of the bars!

I’m also trying my hardest to stop typing long-winded forum messages on my phone as I think it creates a similar rotation in the forearm… 🙄

MrPottatoHead

Thanks all. Symptoms do sound a bit like golfers elbow so will look more into that. I’ve been working from home for two years and maybe having a not so great setup at home is finally catching up with me!

JAG

I’ve had ‘Golfers Elbow/Tennis Elbow’ (self-diagnosed) for the last 12 months. It has happend since I started riding a bit of ‘street trials’ – not that I’m ever going to worry Danny Macaskill or Ali Clarkson :o)

But I’m gripping the bars much tighter while performing some manouvres and I think I’ve strained my forearm muscles. I do some stretching and grip exercises and occasionally apply some heat whenever I have a minute or two and that has almost solved the problem.

Are you hanging on tight because of the rocker plates maybe?

ampthill

Shoulder position can produce arm pain

Strong shoulders are up and back

If you elimate the tendons in the forearm I’d get this checked out

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Arm pain-what to change?’ is closed to new replies.