Arghhh! Pain in the arse (not literally) doctors surgery.

Home Forum Chat Forum Arghhh! Pain in the arse (not literally) doctors surgery.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Arghhh! Pain in the arse (not literally) doctors surgery.
  • PeterPoddy

I’ve had a small operation in my left hand. Carpal tunnel. I’ve got some stitches that will need removing on Monday but apparently the nurse isn’t in on Monday. But I cannot go in any other day. Not possible.
    So should a GP take them out if I book an appointment or should I DIY it…?

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

Diy.
    Evoke the spirit of John Rambo & A man Called Horse. πŸ˜€

DrP

Local walk in centre monday?
    Is the nurse available tuesday?
    (I had read the full OP, BTW!)

DrP

EDIT – saw your FB post and was thinking of you and wishing well! Hope it’s going to sort it. When are you planning on getting back on the bike?

PeterPoddy

Yeah. I mean, how hard can it be? I’ve seen it done on me before and I’ve got some cable cutters and long nosed pliers. πŸ™‚

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

I DIY’d the post snip ones. 😯 😳 😯 πŸ˜₯ 😐

PeterPoddy

Yes. Nurse is in on Tuesday but I can’t get there. I’ve got a shop to run and I need them out ASAP as I’m starting a new job the following Monday.

Edit
    DrP – cheers mate. I’ll probably be riding the following weekend. Motorbike at least on the Monday to get to new job. πŸ™‚ No choice there.
    As an aside you can tell those on salaried jobs – one bloke was taking 6 weeks off work for the same op whilst I was there. I took 2 days.

allthepies

What would happen to the shop if you were ill and couldn’t work ? Surely there’s a plan B ?

PeterPoddy

Pies – shop is closing hence my new job, and there’s only 2 of us running the place.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

shop is closing hence my new job, and there’s only 2 of us running the place.

then, frankly, my priority would be getting my stitches out, not my last few days in a job that’s disappearing.

lemonysam

In the past my GP has given me the tools (sterile hook shaped blade thing and tweezers) to take them out myself when I was going to be away when they needed to be done. It’s very straightforward but much easier with the little hooky blade thing than a knife. If you can get an assistant to hold the stitch for you whilst you cut it then I’d do that.

lemonysam

n.b. if you ever have stitches in your neck, removing them in the mirror is one of the all-time great challenges to your coordination and spacial reasoning.

I got the kit from the nurse and did my own when I plot my eyebrow. Only hint is pull the knotted end. You think I’d have learned the lesson first time I did it.

project

Probably quite easy to remove your own stitches, and equally easy to get an infection in the wound, which will cost the NHS alot of cash to erase/treat, and time off work for you to attend surgery.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

then, frankly, my priority would be getting my stitches out, not my last few days in a job that’s disappearing.

+1, very heroic and that, but why the loyalty?

Android

I took my own stitches out after my vasectomy and nothing dropped off.

PeterPoddy

+1, very heroic and that, but why the loyalty?

Oh I have the best answer in the world for that! πŸ™‚
    My current manager has also been interviewed for the managers job at the very same shop I’m going to. He’s a nice guy, he’s in the same boat as me and the only person I’ll be screwing over will be him. Capishce? πŸ˜‰

Anyhow, I went back and spoke to someone who was more flexible and it all sorted. πŸ™‚

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Arghhh! Pain in the arse (not literally) doctors surgery.’ is closed to new replies.