Argh! which caadx to get?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Argh! which caadx to get?
  • Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

This is doing my nut a bit.

2018 Caadx 105 SE

vs

2019 Caadx 105 (~£200 more)

I much prefer looks of the frame on the 2018 version but the spec isn’t as good – the 2019 now has a full carbon steerer and the new 105 hydraulic discs. The wheels/tyres aren’t tubeless as with the 2018 SE version though.

Would I notice much difference? I would go for the 2019 in a flash if they had the same frame color (the 2019 paint job is a bit suss in green/flouro)

What to doooo?

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

A review of the 2016 Super X says:

“Maddux CX 2.0 Tubeless Disc wheels”

The 2019 SE has WTB rims like the 2018.

Premier Icon johnnystorm
    Subscriber

Silly me, trying to use the formatting buttons!

Dunno if much has changed since my caadx, but the OEM wheels weighed a ton and have mediocre hubs. So I’d budget for replacements anyway to massively bumper be the bike and not care so much about the originals.

tpbiker

Agreed, the wheels that come with them are rubbish and you would feel far more performance improvement by getting the cheaper version and spending the extra on wheels if your budget is set

If not then go for the new one as it has hydros. Wouldn’t be bothered about the full carbon steerer given its never going to be a particularly lightweight bike but it’s nice to have anyway

What size are you? Evans still have a 54cm 2018 model for £999…

Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

Yeah 54cm is my size. I’ve seen that one thanks. I can get the SE version for only £40 more though so I think it would make sense to get that as its only a little extra.

This might come down to the paint job. I’d love hydro’s and the newer 105 levers/mechs but I don’t think I can stomach that green/fluro combo!

Cheers

I’d go with hydro’s. You can’t see the paintjob whilst riding it!

I’ve got the beige rival hydro caadx and hate the beige!

Hydros are expensive aftermarket so prob best to get the 2019 and upgrade the wheelset as and when. Can also lay a rim strip down on those stock wheels and see how tubeless behaves, I know some people ride them tubeless no prob.

Colour is far from the worst fluoro effort I’ve seen – looks OK IMHO.

Premier Icon Ben_H
    Subscriber

The 2019 105 hydros are a lot better than the 2018 model’s brakes.

Premier Icon rjmccann101
    Subscriber

I had a look at the 2019 CAADX with the 105 hydro brakes in my local bike shop last Monday, as supplied it’s not a light bike, we put it on the scales and it came in at just under 23lbs without pedals for a 54cm.  However I though the colour was fine in real life and most of the fat is in the wheel set and if I was to get one a 2nd set of light weight wheels would be needed.

tpbiker

What’s the difference between the se and the normal version?

Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

2018 se vs non se – se has different crankset, tyres and rims

2019 se is pretty much the same bike as 2018 se apart from full carbon fork.

2019 non se has the new 105 hydro groupset

kcr

I’d go with hydro’s. You can’t see the paintjob whilst riding it!

Absolutely. You’re going to ride it, not sit and look at it, surely?

Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

I think what it looks like does matter a bit !

Do you think the cable brakes will be good enough for commuting? not planning to race on this thing

Do you think the cable brakes will be good enough for commuting? not planning to race on this thing

Wrong way around mate – you could race it on cantis and it wouldn’t make a difference. Hydros will be night and day over cable disks on the road in traffic.

Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

Depends on your commute, I’m still using rim brakes on both my commuters as I can’t stand the noise that wet discs make, but then most of my commute is open roads and cycle paths.

If you treat your commute like Death Race 3000 in the city centre then yeah, I guess better brakes might be important.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Am I missing something on the colour – it’s dark green with yellow lettering – doesn’t look that bright to me? I’d go with that model with hydro discs over cable ones personally.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

neither,  checkpoint or Topstone

kcr

Commuting is tough on a bike, and hydraulic brakes will beat cables hands down in terms of easy setup and maintenance. Self adjusting and no cables to pick up gunk and get sticky over time.

If you are commuting, I’d have thought green/fluoro would be a plus point anyway.. My commuting frame came in a choice of colours, so I picked the one I thought was most lurid!

Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

LBS is getting a 2019 105 version in next week so going to take a look in person – cheers.

Premier Icon meandyuk
    Subscriber

Saw the 2019 105 version at lunch. Sounds shallow but I didn’t like the colour scheme, the forks don’t match the frame (they are a different green colour finish).

Hoping to see the 2019 105 se next.

Cheers

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.