Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Argh! Stuck axle (Pro 2 content)
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

After a bent QR dropout on my Voltage I decided to upgrade to 12mm thru axle – but has turned into a major operation having to order new dropouts from France, a thru axle and an axle conversion kit for my hope pro 2 hub.

I’ve got the freehub off but can’t get the axle out. Seems to be stuck solid.

I’ve tried from both sides and it doesn’t seem to move. Using a support for the hub and a rubber hammer.

Anyone got any tips on how to remove it? I could take it into my LBS but I can’t imagine they’ll do anything I can’t do. Unless it requires special tools.

Northwind

Needs a coarse grade hammer- pro 2 doesn’t have any special tools. Cap off first if you haven’t already just to have as few parts as possible (it’ll tap out easily with a poky thing through the axle) and the axle will exit in either direction, it’s literally just held in by the bearings.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Poky thing being something like a screwdriver?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Hit from Freehub side so it comes out on the Non Drive. Like OP says. Only held in by beaings. Hit it harder!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Any risk of damage?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Not particularly.

The axle has got to come out some way.

Just make sure you hit it straight and not at an angle.

wwaswas

Only if you miss with the hammer…

Put something on the end of the axle as they’re quite soft.

dirtydog
    Free Member

The shock absorbing hammer won’t be helping!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I had the same and it’s the inner surface of the bearing seized onto the axle.

Bigger hammer and more spray lube.

It took a few days of spraying and hitting. Then it slid out easiy.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Made a better support for it out of wood and whacked it from the Drive side – came out first time.

Cheers for the advice!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Argh! Stuck axle (Pro 2 content)’ is closed to new replies.