Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Argh – frozen brake cable this morning!
  • oxym0r0n

Commuter kept in the garage overnight… on the way to work the rear brake was hard to pull and then locked the rear caliper (BB7) completely so I had to prise it apart.

No rear brake for the rest of the commute because it had frozen!

So, anyone used M-burn cable oilers with BB7s or should I just keep it warm and cosy in the house overnight?

BlobOnAStick

How often do you think you’ll need to flush the cables?

I’ve used cable oilers years ago on canti brakes, but I wouldn’t want to flush out disc brake cables without removing the possibility of squirting WD40 onto the disc, and I suspect that means that the need for oilers is sonewhat spurious.

footflaps

frozen saddle here:

Frozen saddle by brf, on Flickr

Brakes weren’t much use either as there was so much black ice / frost on the roads…..

wwaswas

Wee on your (brake) shoes?

I can see the headlines

“Man caught weeing on bicycle claims he was trying to defrost it”

njee20
    Free Member

I just took the car today, easier solution! Not worth it on the 23c tyres!

oxym0r0n

Might try the we trick tomorrow…

Thought about taking the van but that would have involved 1/2 hour of defrosting

PS IT was fine on 25c 😉

nealy
    Free Member

Middleburn cable oilers get the water out of the cables as well as lubing them so I’m yet to have even slightly sticky gear cables since using them. I’m sure they’ll work the same for brakes and the risk of getting lube on the discs is the same too so cover the cable ends and the oiler itself with rags when you’re spraying to keep it contained.

oxym0r0n

Not been a problem since I’ve been storing the bike away from the outside wall 8)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Argh – frozen brake cable this morning!’ is closed to new replies.