Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • ARGH! BT!
  • DezB
    Free Member

That caring sharing kind company BT emailed me yesterday to say they would kick me off my BT email account (Talk21.com) if I didn’t buy their broadband off em!
    I’ve had the account for over 10 years and it’s my login account name on loads of web sites. Bastards!
    They don’t even bloody host it – Yahoo do!

How should I migrate all the saved messages and stuff off it? I dunno. I hate BT.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

can you set up mail forwarding? I did it with google mail….

DezB
    Free Member

That’ll only work until they kill the account though.

dannybgoode

Best thing to do is register your own domain and have your own email.

Costs about £20 p/y and you have full webmail access, can download to phones, outlook, thunderbird etc (I use fasthosts) and then noone is going to boot you anywhere.

To migrate messages use outlook or thunderbird to download all the messages so they are stored on your local hard drive.

Cheers

Danny B

DezB
    Free Member

To migrate messages use outlook

A-ha – now this is useful info.

cheers!

(Dezzy B)

bigG
    Free Member

I got a similar email and the option to keep my email address for £1.67 per month,, which is money well spent in my mind given how long I have had it..

DezB
    Free Member

£1.67 per month

Is a bloody cheek is what it is!

scotroutes

As a result of an upcoming house move I’ll be losing access to my telewest/blueyonder/virgin media email accounts that I’ve had, like, forever. I’m actually looking forward to the reduction in spam (of all sorts). It’s a bit of a pain trying to work out everywhere I’m registered with those email addresses though.

Smudger666

DesB, I got the same thing and felt quite aggrieved initially – to be honest though, £1.67 a month is not bad, considering I’ve used their mail servers for free for the last 10 years since dropping bt as my ISP.

It’s £20 a year.

lodious
    Free Member

As a result of an upcoming house move I’ll be losing access to my telewest/blueyonder/virgin media email accounts that I’ve had, like, forever. I’m actually looking forward to the reduction in spam (of all sorts). It’s a bit of a pain trying to work out everywhere I’m registered with those email addresses though.

Ditto here…Virgin were charging nearly £30 more p/m than BT, so I felt I was being held to ransom (been with them 15 years w/same email address).

It’s actually been pretty easy, over the last month I’ve updated all the account details for stuff I deal with regularly, then I had one night of downloading all the emails off their server using outlook and scanning through mails to see what I wanted to update. I kept a plain text file in Dropbox to record what had been changed. Most of the stuff I was glad to leave behind. It was handy doing this before I lost the old email address so you can still get sent password reminders.

So far Virgin have not cut off the old email…despite them telling me it would be pulled the day of transfer.

It’s been a lesson learned…never use ISP email.

CountZero

They don’t even bloody host it – Yahoo do!

Not for much longer, BT are changing their host, because they’ve got so fed up with Yahoo’s inability to deal with spam and mail hacking.

DezB
    Free Member

I guess that explains the change.

Have now imported everything to Outlook on a VM, thanks to DannyB. Now to work out which sites I need to change my login on…

jp-t853

As mentioned above get your own domain name. I have had one for about 20 years. I do the basic version which I think costs about £6 every two years on fasthosts.

You can then redirect all emails to whichever ISP email address you have.

As a bonus you get a nice short personal email address which can be prefixed with anything I.e. crc@joeblogs.co… if you like so you can find out who gives your email address away to third parties.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ARGH! BT!’ is closed to new replies.