Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Aren't hardtails fun?!
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

I turned up at Glentress today to enjoy a sprint around the red but I only managed to get about 400 yards up before my bloody annoying front-brake-locking problem returned and I couldn’t get it to free off no matter what I tried (I think it’s in the master cyl as all pistons move fine and have new seals etc, but that’s not the point of the story). I popped back to the Alpine Bikes shop and was about to ask the chap if he had a spanner I could borrow to take the top off the master cyl to have a look when I glanced up at the hire prices and thought “sod it, the price of just about any repair on this annoying bike I can hire one for the day and enjoy myself” – we were a bit late already and I didn’t want to keep folk waiting. So I took one of the Trek 6300s and off I went. Initial concern that the head tube felt really quite steep and twitchy went away as I gained a bit of trust in the front tyre which seemed to have endless grip (a bonty tyre IIRC) on the corners. So the climb still nearly killed me (I’m a bit unfit) but on the downs I don’t think it slowed me at all in comparison with the NRS I normally ride. Could have had more travel up front to be more comfy but it felt pretty responsive and made the jumps much more fun – I finally got myself landing on the down ramps of the tabletops rather than back wheel on the edge.

So, out of a bit of an annoying maintenance problem I now have a bit of an annoying bike choice problem – do I drop full sus and return to hardtail? If so, what mid-range frame for a tall, heavy all-rounder on a build-from-scratch budget? I really enjoyed the ability to flick it round which just doesn’t seem to be present with the NRS. I was just in the process of building up a long travel full sus and that’s on hold too now!

Just pondering/

_tom_
    Free Member

Depends on where you’re riding and what hardtail/full sus it is I suppose! I wouldn’t fancy a hardtail where I’m riding right now but I also wouldn’t want a massive travel full sus. Short wheelbase, not too slack a head angle and about 6-7″ travel makes it a fun easily jumpable bike that makes all the braking bumps a bit easier to handle 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

yes

Gary_C

No

yossarian
    Free Member

Perhaps

wrecker
    Free Member

Hard tails are fun. Just a bit slow on the big stuff.

meehaja
    Free Member

Orange P7.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Awesome responses so far, had me chuckling 🙂 Riding would be scottish, both natural and trail centre but rarely DH (and that’s sort of what the long travel machine was intended for anyway). I’ve too many bikes <sharp intake of breath> and not enough time goes into maintaining them all – maybe it’s time to condense the short trav FS and singlespeed into one.

GW
    Free Member

Got as far as Glentress and CBA reading any more.
    But Yes hardtails rule!
    a 100mm Hardtail DJ bike is (and always has been) the most fun for GT for me.

hugor
    Free Member

Love taking my 456 SS out on the trails every now and then.
    Amazing how sloppy your technique gets and how lazy you become when you only ride full sussers.
    Reminds me how to ride and makes my usual trail centre so much more challenging.
    I wouldn’t want to just have a hardtail though.
    They’re too hard work.

67gingerbiker
    Free Member

+1 for the Orange P7 (geared); mines three years old and still the best all round bike I have owned, but since I got my Piglet (singlespeed) two weeks ago and built that up I heartily recommend looking at a Ragley as well

my only issue is which one to ride tomorrow

Rubber-Duck

Hi

I have just returned from the 7 Stanes. We did all of the ‘main’ ones. I took my freshly built Cotic BFE it was great. It was bult with some 36’s. Climbs were climbs decents were great. No problems staying with the pack. I enjoy my hard tails, usually use a Dialed Alpine and they are not dis similar.

My mate took his P7with 36’s too, another satisfied rider.

DO IT DO IT NOW. I am sure you will enjoy it, if not nock it out in classifieds and move on. 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

usually use a Dialed Alpine

How much different does this feel to the BFe? I liked my BFe for going downhill but it wasn’t much fun on anything flat or jumpy – bit too stable!

retro23
    Free Member

New to this forum
    Have just returned from N Wales. due to logistical issues could only take my spare bike so did Marin and Penmachno on a ’97 hardtail zaskar with rigid carbon forks, 2.0 tyres and v brakes. Nearly shook my fillings out, required high level of concentration….

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I agree they are a fun , bought an 09 kona blast off a friend as a local hack/commute bike and have had some fun rides . I’d have to say they’re a bit tough on the body(especially if you suffer with back and neck probs!!) but agree that they make you ride better / differently compared to FS . Prefer my Enduro though 😀

mieszko
    Free Member

Had a NRS and I think it’s a very good xc frame. With a Reba set at 100mm it was riding really well. I now have a 853 Altitude with u-turn Revs. I don’t miss the NRS as on longer rides steel frame might not be as comfortable as a full susser but is much better then any alu HT I had before. Geometry is also really good, the bike rides so well and with Revs at 120mm. I am not a skilled rider but somehow longer travel on the Genesis and sorted geometry gives me extra confidence. I really enjoy riding my HT 🙂 And it’s steel with some extra pixie dust.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yes.

mildred

Yes, yes they are, but so are full sus’. Ride whatever makes you smile. To me that’s almost any bike (except a circa 2006 Norco a-line). It’s not horses for courses etc. It’s whatever makes YOU happy.

bruneep

Trans am or Evil Sovereign

At a misty Kerloch this am

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cheers all, some interesting thoughts there – I’ll have to track some of them down locally and see how I get on with them. I’ve not ridden a steel hardtail since I was a kid – will have to have a feel. Like the Trans Am frame visually. Maybe I’ve been too quick to jump on my frame as the issue when clearly I’ve other issues with the bike, but a change is as good as a rest eh!

Rubber-Duck

Hi Tom

The Dialed is MORE stable if anything mate, so if it’s a bit more twitch you are after then it might not be your bag. If your down Hertfordshire way, you are welcome to try mine out. You would probably find a Sovreign more to your liking I believe.

Quite fancy the Sov myself. 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

All bikes are fun………Maybe not road bikes,well maybe just not as much fun…. 8)

steezysix
    Free Member

I can heartily recommend the NS Surge – it’s a bit beefier than some others but still pedals well. Definitely the most fun bike I’ve ever owned!

Northwind

I mostly use my hardtail for stuff like Glentress, Kirroughtree etc, the full suss can be fun there but really what’s the need? But, there’s plenty of times when a bit more bounce is useful. So, it does depend what you ride, where you ride, how you ride it.

If I could only have one bike, I guess it’d be a hardtail, but I’d not be so keen to go off to france or go downhill racing or just go off places that I don’t know the trails.

rj
    Free Member

No.

Having swapped a full suss for a hardtail I find I’m not pushing myself nearly as much. Yes my Handjob is better for riding up and along, but for the bits I really enjoy I wish I had the skill/confidence compensation of rear suspension.

Unfortunately I can’t afford to go back to a big bike or I would currently be riding an Alpine 160.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes. Esp. ripping hardpack dirt trails with some substantial tyres.

Popocatapetl

You should own at least one of each! (where N+1 = number of bikes you currently own) 😀 I own one of each (and 2 road bikes) and it’s more fun to have a choice depending on the terrain and hills to climb!!

pitduck
    Free Member

I love my soul 8)

Mugboo

I rode my HT all winter and wondered why I own a FS.

Then I got my FS out again and realised why!

Under two hours i’m happy to ride either. Over two hours and the HT tires me out..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Funny that, because I noticed my arms and shoulders were a bit more tired this time, but my legs found it a lot easier than the FS (probably because of usually dealing with knackered brakes lol).

I have too many bikes, it’s time for a cull.
    Road
    Trials
    SS rigid
    Shrt trav FS
    Long Trav FS in the build stages
    couple of old frames that’ll never sell.

My garage is full and my wallet wont keep up with the repairs on them all!

Mugboo

Yep it’s wierd isn’t it.

My mind thinks with more bikes to ride they get an easier time but my repair bill doesn’t agree!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Almost finished building a 456 frame up with the old NRS kit (130mm bombers, XT all round) and took it for a short spin round the block (without brakes as they’re currently seal-less) and I can already see what people like in it. It feels really well balanced, nimble and fast but stable. Looking forward to a proper run on it!

youngrob

Another vote for Orange P7. It’s been my only bike for 6 years now, I had a 5″ full suss but didn’t enjoy it half as much as my P7. I have 150mm Bombers on it and I ride it everywhere: trail centres, natural, downhill. I’m just back from Whistler where I rode the XC trails and the Bike Park, I did get some odd looks on the chairlift but I was still overtaking folk, on big DH bikes, on the twistier descents. On the flowy, big jump trails, a FS bike will be faster but not half as much fun as a hardtail on the twisty stuff.

Go for it!

_tom_
    Free Member

I would’ve thought the ht would be faster on the flowy jumpy trails as you can pump all the rollers etc without losing as much energy through the shocks. Like that section on crank it up not too far after the rope bridge, with that line of rollers leading into a jump. Respect for doing it on a hartail though, I don’t think I could hack all the braking bumps here on one 😆 Almost brought my Trailstar but glad I have the full bouncer, way more confidence inspiring as well.

globalti
    Free Member

Did the High Street ride a couple of weekends ago on my titanium Global with rigid carbon fork. After 25 miles and 5500 ft of climbing I still had some left in the tank while the three riders on FS were absolutely shelled by the weight of their bikes. And on the downhill sections none of them passed me, ever. One even complained that he couldn’t get past.

FS might be OK for blasting down a big Alp or around a trail centre but for serious riding out in the mountains you still can’t beat a lightweight, simple, maintenance-free hardtail, especially if it gets steep enough that you need to pick it up and shoulder it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Absolutely!

Just built up an alu hardtail (an old mmmbop frame with some revs at 120) and took it for a spin round some local woods. First ride out felt amazing after riding full suss bikes for ages. Felt really light, lively and responsive, just encouraging me to get out the saddle and work the bike in a way a full suss doesn’t. Brilliant fun. Don’t think my FS will be seeing much of the local trails for a while.

Do have a steel hardtail itch that does need to be scratched, but on short blast type rides a stiff light alu frame is spot on.

EDIT: Recommendations, if you fancy an alu one and can find an mmmbop frame, they are great. Rated for 160 forks too so should be pretty strong. In steel I was looking at a Soul, but you might want to think about a BFe or a Pig. There’s loads to choose from.

youngrob

Tom, my hands were a mess after 2 days, the braking bumps on Crank it Up and B-line were huge. I did get some amount of speed up on those rollers and the wall rides were fun but I preferred the tight lines of Ninja Cougar/Karate Monkey/Angry Pirate. I might hire a FS bike next time but I had a blast on my P7. It was ace siiting in the sun on Citta’s terrace having a beer afterwards!

Rockape
    Free Member

Just bought a BFe frame hope it’s going to be fun. Need to decide on build spec. This is going to replace my old alloy frame which has seen lots of adventure. Most my ridding buddies have full sus but I thought I’d build a new hardtail with long travel and have some fun.

_tom_
    Free Member

I preferred the tight lines of Ninja Cougar/Karate Monkey/Angry Pirate

Ahh I’m not a fan of those trails because I’m so terrible at riding them. Probably more rider skill than bike for me though, but everything there feels so tight and I find it hard to get low enough on the berms to carry the speed! Love the double black techy trails though, and the north-shore style logrides on Too Tight and Fatcrobat 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just done another longer local ride on my newly built hardtail. Still loving it and don’t think it’s a passing fad. I reckon it’s harder work than a FS, but somehow more fun and rewarding.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Aren't hardtails fun?!’ is closed to new replies.