Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • "Are you tough enough" Army CU Enduro on 15th July
  • boltonjon

Lets have another event next month!!!!

Go on Pants!! 😀

pants
    Free Member

LoL you have the Gorrick 12-12 for that! 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

Slightly OT question

I’ve no point of reference on this colour coding of trails based upon (technical) difficulty.

Did any of Sunday’s trails have a grading and if so what were they? – I’m just curious as what to expect of any future trail centre trips.

I went to Afan back in 05 but don’t recall it being colour coded?

Cheers

boltonjon

I think Afan has a few coloured sections now, but the blacks are only black due to the size of the rocks – if tackled at a sensible speed, they are not dangerous – its not too steep

However, they are much more fun to attack at full pelt – makes it all worth while 😆

I would say that the steep parts of the AYTE course might have been counted as a red in sections if it was at a trail centre

shortcut

Pretty sure there is no trail grading at Porridgepot Hill, or any of the other MOD land they permit people to hold races on!

gee
    Free Member

None of that lap would be considered difficult – a couple of good Singletrack descents but nothing particularly challenging. The thing that makes those courses fun is trying to ride them fast, more than the elation of managing to ride a lap without mincing (like at Kirroughtree, for example…).

GB

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers fellas

I wasn’t fazed by any of the course other than as Gee points out, trying to do it at more than (my) snails pace. You could have got into a good old state if you’d bolxed up some of the descents / bombholes but isn’t that what adrenalin is for?

gee
    Free Member

Pics up now on http://swarbrick.com

GB

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

pants – do you mind me asking which bit of PPHill you were on? I guess the evidence is still clear on the ground once you have located the start. As suggested by the grading comments above, I am intrigued about the technical challenges required to race these kinds of events and it would be good to have little potter to see what kind of terrain is involved. Were you NW of Deepcut only or were you also S of the railway and B3012. I really need to explore the area.

TiRed

None of that lap would be considered difficult – a couple of good Singletrack descents but nothing particularly challenging

Well my 11yo found it pretty challenging (AYT6578.jpg). The mud also made for some intersting (forced) lines. He had a great time, despite the usual falls (many). He’s ridden Afan in some grim conditions already this year. Son2 cruised around without issue in the two hour race. But I can’t find and shots of him 🙁

gee
    Free Member

It’s great your 2 boys were racing – we need more like them!

GB

TiRed

I think the comment from one of the riders “That’s a classic bike” made Son2’s afternoon (on his Marin Mount Vision). That and not doing the Chicken run on either lap (unlike his father).

They both enjoyed it and will be racing in the Gorrick series later this year. (And I didn’t see any age limits for the fun race, but was later told it was 14 😳 )

Thanks for the event and the photos. His mother will be delighted.

pants
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore pretty much all of it!

I suppose the Bomb Hole would be black and a couple of drops that I did not put in this year, Fire road Blue and Singletrack Red is what I would go for, saying that some of the Black at Dalby, Hamsterley and the like is more Red!

7th July next year and I will add a couple of newer bits and drops for Black, LoL

gee
    Free Member

Put all 3 bombholes in a row… That would be a laugh. Down, hard left, down, hard left, down…

Also the concrete hill!

GB

theotherjonv

every year he promises a singlespeeders only diversion up concrete hill and fails to deliver on it.

Straightliner

But it’s quicker to run up concrete hill with the bike than ride it in granny gear anyway….

N.B.- I’m not convinced I could actually run up it! 😉

pants
    Free Member

Right then CONCRETE HILL it is then for them FARMERS next year! 😈

boltonjon

After all the nice weather since sunday, i thought i’d go back to te course for a blast around in the dry – but then the heavens opened and it was mentally slippy – great fun!!

I know the Concrete hill, but which is Farmers?

pants
    Free Member

FARMERS AND TRACTORS= SINGLESPEEDERS= ANDY WILL NEVER RIDE ONE, AS JAY HAS!!!!

theotherjonv

I think it’s a Troll’s exclusive saying – that’s to say I haven’t heard it elsewhere – but Farmers are singlespeeders, presumably due to a love of agricultural machinery rather than modern technology.

boltonjon

Really – OK – it all makes sense now. Stupid me 😳

jonny360
    Free Member

A link to some photos from the event last weekend,

Posted by Kevin Sheldrake on Thursday, July 19, 2012

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just went for a quick explore of Tunnel Hill and Porrdige Pot. Two and bit hours on a Sat morning and only saw tow other bikes. Wow, Found fun ST all around TH, but came across two walkers with beautiful Newfoundlands who less than impressed with a couple of riders flying around blind bends towards them – so apologised on the riders behalf. Seems pretty stupid as obvious area where you are going to come across walkers?!?

Found Porrdige Pot despite wrong turn alongside railway! Stumbled on what looked like bits of the race course, so left those to recover and went exploring. Found “your” way down Pants (!!!) and did that twice, once from the sign and a second time linking into the nice little trail from the water tower. Tricky to get the right gear for that as I tend to ride in a big gear to stop chain slip! Nice trails although had only wipeout of the day on easy rh bend nar th bottom of PWD when dabbed the break into thc corner and front wheel skid into the rhoddies! No mistake second time! Lots of nice stuff in both areas to explore and extraordinarily quiet.

Seems like the whole area is rel good in the wet especially compared to the honeypots in the Surrey Hills. So no excuses for next years race. Can see why the Trolls and the army like that area.

njee20
    Free Member

Seems pretty stupid as obvious area where you are going to come across walkers?!?

There’s always a chance of coming across walkers anywhere, no excuse for irresponsible riding, but it happens, just need to apologise and move on!

PWD was in the race, so you did ride parts of it.

It is great fun up there, I’d not call any of it black though, Dalby has far more scary sections than up there! Red in places at the very most!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, njee I agree but these guys obviously didn’t apologise!

Given that PWD was on the race, the damage was very slight! I came across more obvious signs of the race much lower down and then at the top. Followed it a bit, the wrong way round, but then felt conscious of the trails needing a rest.

I would agree with it not being black but suggest that this is good for a race with lots of standards in it. The bends on PWD for example are all on a gentle gradient allowing for a wide standard. But must have got quite busy on those narrow bits!! Having said that there were enough slippy roots and muddy holes to catch the unwary and challenge you if your were really flying (or hitting the brakes at the wrong moment like me!).

There must have been a couple of brutal climbs, I am guessing up to the water tower from the barracks side but didn’t see any evidence of it today!

Judging by today, I need to work on hitting the narrow rooty bits faster and leaving the brakes alone before trying next years race 😉

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Where is concrete hill? Also is there a route map? I know it’s taboo for gpx files, but I was unable to race that day despite entering and would like to give the circuit a go?

Jason
    Free Member

If you have a look on Strava you will be able to find a plot of the course.

Concrete hill is near the watertower at the SE corner of Porridge Pot. Not the most fun hill to go up and no reason to ride down it either.

Only two proper climbs on the course. One went up ‘Watership Down’ and brings you out near the sports ground, the other was shortly after this and was a long fire road drag ‘Heckler’s Hill’ up to where Gorrick normally have the race start. Several other shorter climbs too.

njee20
    Free Member

Up the Fence Line too, which was utterly brutal!

theotherjonv

I didn’t race but did a lap Thursday evening. For only 2 hills, I seemed to spend a heck of a lot of time going upwards!!

njee20
    Free Member

It seemed hillier than I expected I must say!

Jason
    Free Member

Well I suppose there were lots of short climbs, but I didn’t really think of them as hills. The fence line was fairly hard going, I resigned myself to push up the first climb on that section every lap, the second one wasn’t too bad.

njee20
    Free Member

Did make it on each of my meagre 3 laps, but any longer and I’d not have been liking the single ring!

Jason
    Free Member

I was very glad I had a 28t inner ring. That was getting a lot of use towards the end of the race – I don’t think I have ever used it that much before!

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘"Are you tough enough" Army CU Enduro on 15th July’ is closed to new replies.