Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • "Are you tough enough" Army CU Enduro on 15th July
  • shortcut

Out trimming and blowing today, couple of little showers but generally dry and improving. Had to pause the blower briefly – due to excessive dust…… 😉

pants
    Free Member

As Shortcut says the conditions are improving vastly actually not alot of wet Patches at all.

smiff
    Free Member

ah is this course quite.. non-technical? more of a hardtail course?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pants
    Free Member

You’ll be fine on a HT, has a couple of techy bits here and there.

m1kea
    Free Member

pants – Member

Getting with the times, now have a Facebook page!

Are You Tough Enough that is.

AYTE

I don’t do my@rsebook but did I see a reference to one Webber, M of Aylesbury participating?

If so, we’ll need to make sure he doesn’t have another crash as I don’t want Teflonso winning the F1.

pants
    Free Member

The course is finished and ready, trimmed and blown as well as drainage in place, just in case, 🙂 You may all think I’m talking utter rubbish but seriously very little mud on the course ! Yes ha!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

After riding Gorrick 100 at Swinley during a similar period of miserable weather on mud-x which were a bonus for all of 20 metres of the course, I’ve just put Ralphs on for Sunday.
    Bike looks all summery now. Thank you!

coopersport1
    Free Member

I don’t do my@rsebook but did I see a reference to one Webber, M of Aylesbury participating?

If so, we’ll need to make sure he doesn’t have another crash as I don’t want Teflonso winning the F1.

Old photo from about 4yrs ago! Get with it Pants!

I’m sure he just uses the photo of himself so he can reminisce about what it was like to be able to ride a bike fast and be 2 stone lighter 😀

njee20
    Free Member

What no mud!? Sod that I’m off to Essex to trash and drivetrain…

Not to do the National you’re not…

coopersport1
    Free Member

I know got the email about 3mins after posting!

njee20
    Free Member

Good for you though Pants – the National is postponed if you’d not heard, so you’ll now get a deluge of fast riders!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

umming and arrhing about doing this, enjoyed racing there before (brass monkeys) – any update on conditions? (just fancy riding my bike and perhaps destroying myself – not my bike!)

njee20
    Free Member

What about the field where the parking is…

gee
    Free Member

Parking field had some damp bits but was fine a course of days ago.

GB

smiff
    Free Member

any pics of the course? is it like longmoor i.e. sandy and humpy?

gee
    Free Member

It’s best described as splashy…  Firm under the puddles mainly.  A couple of short squishy bits but it’s all perfectly rideable.  The less puddly sections dried out a lot in the couple of hours I was up there and it’s sunny now.  The wettest bits will be wet tomorrow and there are some massive splashy puddles but no slog and NO PUSHING!!!

The course is sandy and humpy, yes.

smiff
    Free Member

sandy, humpy AND splashy?! 😯 I’ll be in heaven then 😀
    (also some rooty?)

shortcut

Yes, some rooty, some splashy, but all ok. And no walking unless you have weak legs, poor skills or just ”Are not quite tough enough”!

jay_tht
    Free Member

So who going..?

gee
    Free Member

If you weren’t there you really missed out! Sunshine, firm and drying trails, no pushing, nice swoopy buts… Fantastic race and the venue is just one huge sponge – the heavy rain from the previous days just disappeared.

DT78
    Free Member

Ah well, gave it a miss and did a 100mile road ride instead. Shame, but given it had rained for the entire week I didn’t want to chance it. Hope those who entered had a blast!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

It was awsome. On Ralphs and they were fine albeit at a pretty low pressure.

mauja
    Free Member

The course was a lot better than I expected, a bit muddy in places but all rideable if you had the legs for the climbs which unfortunately I didn’t after the first couple of laps.

Seemed pretty quiet so I guess lots of people stayed away because of the recent weather.

smiff
    Free Member

that was haaaaard. but good work on the course guys. 8)
    shame only really good riders turned up 😳

TiRed

Thanks. Both sons and myself really enjoyed it. And to cap it all, I made the podium (alright – third among three in the 2hr singlespeed, despite only completing one of three laps due to a crank falling off 😳 ).

Son1 managed two laps, and Son2 finished the fun race.

boltonjon

Great event and the course drained nicely – there was some interesting bits in the mud mind – but it made it more exciting!

I’m thoroughly broken though – 6 hour solo – why on earth did i do it??

pants
    Free Member

Thank you to all who turned up and raced to those who stayed away for fear of mud, you missed a good un! The Sun God was again good to us again!

Porridgepot is always kind when it’s been raining, a dam good all weather course with plenty Singletrack, which you had a good mix of today with plenty missed out too.

It seems that it was enjoyable but tough for all!

Were You Tough Enough?

Cheers 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Pants – well done on putting on the event and chapeau to the riders. Looks like you were blessed with a window in the weather as drizzle set in again this morning. Perhaps next time!

Were you all buzzed by the Vulcan and the Red Arrows. Sounds like the Vulcan took off again this morning (around 08:30) and that was from many miles away!

njee20
    Free Member

The Vulcan was flying afterwards, but the Red Arrows and the Typhoons were out there – I missed a turn off the fireroad because I was watching them! 😳

Great event, course help up well under the circumstances, shame the entries were down, but unsurprising I guess! Now I just need to do some more riding to get fit again!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I must go and try that area – its hard to find bits of Surrey that are holding up against this rain. Punchbowl is ok and the sandy areas arguably better. But most BWs are gloopy bogs and Pitch Hill almost a right off.

m1kea
    Free Member

So as my first proper solo MTB event since 1997 I can safely say I wasn’t tough enough!

Tried to keep up with my mate on the first lap but gave up after 15 mins and instead tried to concentrate on not falling off too much (limited success) and not getting in too many people’s way (fair to middling effort).

Wimped out on many of the climbs and also decided to have a chat with my photographist colleague Mr Swarbrick on my final lap.

Glad to have made the trip and it was a good eye opener for the importance of practising singletrack, plus riding your (MTB) bike on a regular basis; – two things I singularly lack!

Cheers to ACU et al 8)

P.S big props to the sado masochist on the rigid single speed. I was shot to bits on my CF hardtail with gears!

njee20
    Free Member

P.S big props to the sado masochist on the rigid single speed. I was shot to bits on my CF hardtail with gears!

There were several of those, notably Gee who not only won the 4-hour SS category, but also (comfortably) the normal 4-hour category too! Unfair!

gee
    Free Member

No gears + no suspension + no big repair bills when it’s muddy = WIN!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gee – I didn’t think I would say this before this summer (sic) but you have a point. Repair bills are doing my head in this year as is the sound of mud and sand in my cogs etc. Just glad I held off buying a new bike!

m1kea
    Free Member

Gee

you clearly have a rubber skeleton and like riding too much, judging by your Strava feed 😆 8)

boltonjon

You went past me on the last steep firetrack road at a hell of a rate of nots – i don’t think i could ride down it that quickly!!

Well done Gee – an epic result!

charliemort

I felt almost tough enough for 2 laps, then there was a loud cracking noise from my bike – thought swingarm had snapped. Had actually picked up a slow puncture which didn’t seal (sealant dried up – ooops) – and noise was a tyre burp which could be heard about 50 m away………

struggled around a couple more laps pumping tyre up now and again, nearly put a tube in but didn’t have a tool to get the collar off the tubeless valve. Not feeling tough at all at that point

no idea how the top guys maintain that sort of speed – ‘specially the ones without gears

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Well done to everyone that raced at the weekend, my team mates phil and rory got the top spot in the 6 hour, as well as dean and derek who took 3rd. Great ride from them all! PMR@cing is a name you should all be seeing a lot more of 😛

Straightliner

As others have said, hats off to Pants and the team for creating a great, rideable course in a summer worse than most winters.

Chapeau again to Gee for conclusively beating me in the 4hr singlespeed, although I don’t think I was ever going to worry him too much.

Finally thanks to all the fellow riders who made the effort to enter and turn up and give the event a really good atmosphere. Hope the aches and pains aren’t too bad today.

pants
    Free Member

@All-On-Black 😀 Trophies are ordered and getting done!

@Straightliner, cheers, it’s easy to sort out a route on PP Hill in the wet, It’s a shame that peeps don’t realise how good PP Hill is as an all weather course.

Agreed thanks to those who did turn up and make the day.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘"Are you tough enough" Army CU Enduro on 15th July’ is closed to new replies.