Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Are you ready for the coming winter power cuts?
  • weeksy

I’m an STWer, therefore have a wood burner…

I’ll live. I can heat, cook and hot water if I need to without electricity. I can use the wife and boy for entertainment and MTB to the Supermarket.

Sounds OK to me 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Your supermarket; the one with the electricly operated automatic doors, and the electronic tills, reliant on electronic stock control and logistics systems to deliver those foods and products produced with the aid of electricity…

weeksy

Your supermarket; the one with the electricly operated automatic doors, and the electronic tills, reliant on electronic stock control and logistics systems to deliver those foods and products produced with the aid of electricity…

We have a farm shop, plus my mate is a gamekeeper, I wont starve.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Hopefully!! loved power cuts when I was growing up candles and all that, all huddled together in the one room talking, like indoor camping!!! sadly something my three children 21,16 and 11 have never experienced!!! On second thoughts life wont be worth living if they cant charge their phones or flick on the Xbox!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Have the telegraph taken on some ex daily mail reporters?

rocketman
    Free Member

Looking forward to it should save some money on the bill

fasthaggis
    Jamie
    Free Member

Looks like I am going to Weeky’s for Xmas.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The majority of large supermarkets have diesel stand by generators and there will still be food on the shelves.

saxabar
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the powercuts! Kettle on woodburner, candles, heavyweight philosophy books and no TV or wi-fi/email. 🙂

binners

I’ve been waiting for this moment all my life. I’ve surrounded my house with electrified barbed wire fences, installed a generator, a harem (for breeding purposes) and I’ve been stockpiling fuel, food heavy weaponry, and tons of ammo.

When the lights go out, I’m going to declare my house/fortress an independent state, and reveal that I am in fact the son of god

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Food on the shelves? For how long when the panic begins?

footflaps

When the lights go out, I’m going to declare my house/fortress an independent state, and reveal that I am in fact the son of god

You are Tony Blair and I claim my £5

jam-bo

you seem to be the only one panicking. when are YOU going shopping..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes I’m ready.

I’ll be relying upon our National Power Generator Companies to DO THIER BLOODY JOB.

🙄

kimbers

wow I see privatisations working out really well

or is it just scaremongering nonsense from the DT?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I’m ready already.

LHS
    Free Member

Live in London, they’ll protect us and let the poor non-londoners freeze.

fasthaggis

Binners

It’s the things that you never expect,they will hit you hardest.

Like the first time you can’t speeddial Greggs ,that’s going to be hard man.

🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Whenever there have been recent power cuts, many shops have found themselves hamstrung.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure tinned goods are produced long before they hit the shelves, I’m also pretty sure its not just supermarkets that have stand by generators, food producers will be the same.

The only shortages are likely to be in diesel as supplies would be prioritised for essential use. But its not going to happen.

dazh

I always love a panic buying crisis! Watching all the headless chickens queuing for hours for petrol/bread is highly amusing. As for my own preparedness, I have bikes for transport, a woodburner and another soon to be installed, an allotment, a natural spring in my garden for water, and I live on the top of a hill in an easy to defend position. All I need is a shotgun and I’ll be one step away from being lord of the manor 🙂

antigee

the good old days rubbish in the streets and no electricity

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj9OlIiHFo4[/video]

and Ted Heath on the TV when it did work

cheekyboy
    Free Member

For he said unto them, ye folk of beards and corduroy who carry thy Gruinard under thy arm and whose nose doth run with dewy snot, I shalt give thee green lightning for thy liking and thou shalt exalt my image !
    But unto them the wind did cease to blow and the world was cast into darkened sky, upon them came great swathes of heavy clouds of diesel fumes and the great castles of coal and dirty lightning was cast into the wastes of memory.
    And they smite one another with plastic tablets and cast their brethren aside and begged that their children be sacrificed so they could return to thy virtual paradise.

toby1

Is ohnohesback really cressers and did he wake up this morning thinking/wishing it was Friday like the rest of us?

fasthaggis

As for my own preparedness, I have bikes for transport, a woodburner and another soon to be installed, an allotment, a natural spring in my garden for water, and I live on the top of a hill in an easy to defend position. All I need is a shotgun and I’ll be one step away from being lord of the manor

See,that’s what we are talking about.

🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

To save the missing 5% we could confiscate the laptops and mobile devices of people who squander energy talking b0770x on internet forums.

Stoner
    Free Member

bring on the zombiepocalypse, I say!

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-atUt7ARqYQQ/U_xJx_oj7bI/AAAAAAAAKBs/urK7lucnYFk/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg[/img]

geoffj

bring on the zombiepocalypse, I say!

Ikea have started selling logs? 😯

jam-bo

a natural spring in my garden for water, and I live on the top of a hill in an easy to defend position.

how’s that work then?

zippykona

Should I start panic buying?

tthew

Binners, there appears to be a fundamental flaw in your plan.

electrified barbed wire fences

2/10. 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

kimbers

zippykona – Member
    Should I start panic buying?

can you panic buy electricity?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

To save the missing 5% we could confiscate the laptops and mobile devices of people who squander energy talking b0770x on internet forums.

I would advocate a complete shutdown of the following:
    1/ ITV
    2/ Sky Broadcasting
    3/ Discoteques
    4/ The recording, distribution and broadcast of any new music less than 10 years old, its rubbish and unnecessary, if this is successful we could re-open the discoteques for two hours on a Friday.
    5/ The DLR
    6/ Channel four

mrchrispy

stoner….i dont know what that big ass silver thing is in you last picture but I want one!

andyl
    Free Member

tthew – Member
    Binners, there appears to be a fundamental flaw in your plan.

electrified barbed wire fences
    2/10.

0/10 for tthew.

In fact, bit of an own goal.

Stoner – do you have any CHP in that lot?

Stoner
    Free Member

do you have any CHP in that lot?

Of course! 😉

Id love to do some kind of biomass:electrical generation but it’s just not a domestic option.

If I were on mains gas, Id be all over CHP combi boilers.

dazh

how’s that work then?

Without wanting to go into a detailed description of the local geography (to protect my future water supply of course!), I live ‘near’ the top of the hill but not right at the top of it, hence the spring flows down to me. There is actually one house above me which can also access the spring, but in the event of the apocalypse, I’ll be sure to quickly murder them to ensure my water supply.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Are you ready for the coming winter power cuts?’ is closed to new replies.