• This topic has 76 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by will.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Are you happy with your bike?
  • freeman
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon, you’re a better rider than me, do you ride it like the old hobbyhorse hehe, perhaps a chain might make you go even faster!! 🙂

stumpy01

For about 5yrs nothing on my bike changed….
    Then I decided I needed new stem and bars, so got them….
    ..new HTII XT crankset followed shortly after, with XT F&R mechs too
    ….new RS Reba Air U-Turn shortly after that as my Judy was ****
    ..New Avid Juicy 7’s as my Julie’s were getting a little pony
    ….now I need new rear bearing kit, new shock bushes, new rear gear cable, some frame protectors etc….
    …oh and before I go to Spain this yr I am going to ditch the outer ‘ring and get a bashguard.

Hmmmm. To be fair though, apart from the stem and bars, it is all stuff that has been replaced as the old bits have worn….so not too bad.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m happy with my bike! For the first time in 2 years, nothing needs changing and it rides like a dream. (Might change the front brake though)

Since I bought it I have changed the rear shock twice, the forks twice, bars twice, rear mech twice, stem twice, cranks, seatpost and grips (x3).
    Got there in the end. 🙂

lcj

Pretty much happy with both my bikes now, but it’s taken lots of experimenting and money to get there. There are a few little niggling things I might change though, frames, forks, wheels, that sort of stuff 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I dug out my old XC hardtail – much of the terrain on my doorstep doesn’t warrant my full susser – and decided to chop and change the cockpit on a whim. Wider bars and shorter stem and it is a transformed (and better!) ride. Now I’ve started looking at all manner of unaffordable ways I can make it even better (£17.99 just for a seat post clamp!?) whilst my full susser looks on forlornly at my tinkering

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

(£17.99 just for a seat post clamp!?)

I thought thats quite cheap.

Have you seen a Tune Wurger?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i have severe UGI

this is across my entire fleet of 6 bikes

i’m perfectly happy with all of them, but sometimes shiny things are just….better

it’s a horrible condition.

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

I was happily oblivious until my wife diagnosed me. My dad doesn’t have it but he may have the carrier gene.

ononeorange

Faffed and faffed about and have ended up with 4 different bikes, all how I thought I want them (built the last two up with carefully chosen kit etc). The problem now is that the recent ones make me realise that the first one really doesn’t handle well at all…….

Taff
    Free Member

I’m happy with the bike but that doesn’t mean to say it doesn’t need to be spoilt just like the mrs.. a new stem… or a set of shifters is like buying a new dress or a meal…

molgrips
    Free Member

I could do with stiffer wheels and a seat QR with droppable seatpost for the 5. Other than that, they are fine. Perhaps a 100mm fork for the race bike but that’s debatable.

If I had unlimited cash I’d probably buy a new fork just to try it out.

chakaping
    Free Member

Never used to understand this, was always a “ride it until it wears out” kind of guy.

Then I started riding more bikes and realising that there were things I could do to make my bike better – and I got it pretty bad for a while.

Now I’m perfectly satisfied with two of my bikes (or will be once the Maxle U-Turn Revelation arrives for my Trance), and my Reign is brand new but specced exactly how I want it.

With the possible exception of a wider set of bars and some DH tyres/tubes for the Alps this summer, I reckon I’ve got it made in the shade.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m generally happy with my bikes, but I have the irresistable urge to fiddle…

I call it being a ‘compulsive mechanic’

I’m happiest when I’m either taking it apart, repairing it, adjusting it or putting it back together again. As such my tool, err, “collection” is probably more impressive than my bikes….

However, my condition does mean that I very rarely have any sort of mechanical failure on the trail which isn’t so bad.

ANd I’ve just bought a new bike. I can see stuff that could be improved with new kit, but I’m going cold turkey and forcing myself to only change stuff if
    a)I REALLY need to (I’m going to fit double-and-bash and I had some lock ons lying around. That’s it.)
    b) It wears out. Then I can upgrade with a clear conscience.

It’s hard, but I can do it.
    😀

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’m not 100% happy with my bike but my wife IS so it’s staying as it is for a while (until my 5 year old son leaves university and gets a job!)
    😛

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes very happy with the one MTB I have (singlespeed btw). I think it takes a while to stop and realise that any mountainbike and it’s components will be a comprimise at some point.
    Though I’m having trouble deciding on a geared hardtail myself. Current thinking is towards a basic aluminium frame with XT/XTR running gear, Hope Brakes, headset and stem, Mavic factory wheels, Reba forks and carbon finishing kit. Hopefully that set up will see me through every type of biking situation without the need for further upgrades.

oldgit
    Free Member

I tell a lie. I bought a KMC 710SL chain for my singlespeed, just coz it was light, Gold and slotted.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

thinking of a respray on my frame. The old colour ain’t too bad, I just fancy an excuse to take my bike to bits so I can reassemble it

VanHalen

no.

ideally i would like:
    new front hub
    new tyres
    new gear cable outer
    new fork seal and/or new forks
    new shifters
    new drivetrain (sprockets and chain)
    new grips
    a comfey saddle
    a few new pins for hte pedals
    replacement stem clamp bolts
    front brake bleed and replace pads.
    a bit of gaffer tape to stop accidently turning the rebound adjust on the bottom of the fork leg.

as a result of new baby i`ll just buy a new front tyre and bleed the front brake and ride it till something breaks.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve faffed for years with bikes. I’m pretty settled on my 5spot that I bought is may 2005. Its got a pretty similar build to then, but has shed about 4 or 5 pounds since then by me basically replacing every component on the bike with a lighter, more expensive equivalent. I’m pretty happy with it now, apart from getting aneaston carbon seatpost for it.

And tyres. I don’t think I’ll ever stop faffing with tyres.

ikimbunza24
    Free Member

I too had ‘upgradeitis’ until i got my Ventana and felt ‘cured’. I had a re-lapse when it got nicked and now i’m back to square one. 🙁

firestarter
    Free Member

Actually i wouldnt mind a lefty on my cannondale ht but then that would mean new wheels instead of my dt240 olympic ones lol

mickasaki
    Free Member

Looks like the upgrade saga continues.. new forks on the way!!!!

billyboulders
    Free Member

Are you happy with your bike?

YES! I love it, could do with a fancier rear mech (the one on it works fine but just doesn’t look so good hence why I haven’t replaced it, but somehow feel the need!). Then it’d be perfect….’til the next upgrade!

jarl
    Free Member

I’ve got some new forks, so now I just need a new front wheel and then a new set of cranks. And then a back wheel. And then an adjustable seatpost…. and a saddle. And….

Yeah, I’m ill 🙁

samuri
    Free Member

yep, I am 100% happy with at least 3 of my bikes. The forth needs some better tyres. And the fifth has a dirty great crack running through two of it’s tubes so I’m not particularly happy with that one, admittedly.

lemond-crack

rickmeister

Happy with mine but its nothing that a Whyte 120 frameset on our BTW Scheme isn’t going to improve… Roll on April…

pinches
    Free Member

my xc bike, i am happy with more or less now. i would like a new saddle.

my 4x bike, i haven’t found a chain device that actually works properly on it yet. and i’d like some LUST larsen TTs

kiwijohn

My UGI is in remission.
    The Salsa & DMR haven’t been upgraded in ages.
    The DBR Axis to has only had new tyres & some bling chainring bolts since its rebuild in 07.
    The Iron Horse MkIII got a dual & bash guard last year & new tyres. Apart from pedals & grips, is completely stock after 2 years. Would like new wheel & UST for it but no hurry.
    No new bikes on the horizon either. Yet.

Jamie
    Free Member

I am 100% happy with my bike, Dialled Alpine. All i need to change is where i live or pass my driving test so it can be abused in the manner it demands.

Rivett
    Free Member

Yes

MrNutt
    Free Member

samuri how on earth have you done that!!??!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Samuri – I’d be bloody livid with that bike if I were you.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Samuri – hats off you must ride hard mate! Shame what frame is it?

Jamie
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

samuri-power(tm). All bike components fall to it eventually. If only we could harness it.

juan
    Free Member

well let see
    Decathlon cobra 540 from 1997 road bike that got singlespeeded and maybe soon will be fixed for commute duties.
    Rocky mountain switch 2002, I am not very happy with it at the moment but that is because I have become too much of a shite rider to ride it properly.
    Kona Hoss a part from the fork and the fact the bike is gathering dust in tim’s garage it’s all ok so far.
    Cove handjob singlespeed, not sure I’ll keep it as a singlespeed but I’ll try…

That is it really more a problem with the bloke than the bikes 😉

will
    Free Member

I was yesterday…until it broke 🙄

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Are you happy with your bike?’ is closed to new replies.