Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Are you feeling better off then?
  • spawnofyorkshire

Not really until i just moved in with some friends and cut my outgoings significantly

My travel costs went up 10% due to investment in improvements on the line i use that has had no improvements at all and more late trains than ever

Lucky to have a job but hate it and working on an exit strategy with a career change. No prospect of advancement or development in my job

M6TTF
    Free Member

nope, entering the 6th year of static pay. childcare, food bills, fuel and everything else has increased. I’ve never felt the pinch quite as bad

freddyg
    Free Member

Most definitely not. Was told yesterday that there is no pay rise again this year. That’s four years on the trot. I took a pay cut to join this bloody company as the prospects and opportunities were (allegedly) so good. Lying bastards.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Personally no, but pleased if it’s true.

Sadly both then Tories and Chukku in response are having fun with figures at our expense (excuse the pun). Independent data suggest that wages are now closing into the inflation rate (largely because the latter is falling) so as usual take both parties, ignore what they say, but expect the answer to be somewhere in the middle.

Economic momentum is picking up, that is true, but still based on an artificial foundation. But good news is certainly to be welcomed. Even things in (some) european counties are picking up….

stevestunts
    Free Member

Marginally better off, by virtue of the fact I am now working more days per week than I did a year ago. However, the cost of an additional day of childcare per week takes about half of the extra I’m earning.

Bazz

Definitely not (public sector worker) we had a 1% pay rise last year and that was the first since 2009.

To be honest i don’t know anyone who feels better off, i think a lot of people have just adapted to “worse off” than they were pre last general election.

I don’t believe a word this government comes out with (to be fair you could extend that to most politicians), the only positive thing i take out of this is that most people will vote based on how they feel they are doing so these manipulations won’t sway many.

Kryton57

Crikey, only two pages, you wait til the interest rates go up then they’ll be amplified levels of moaning.

I’ve had to cancel a weekend in Wales this weekend due to large bills landing and a **** up on my wages. Currently sitting at home bored to tears devaluing my day off. #firstworldproblem

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah, I reckon so. Kids are getting older and learning how to behave better; I’m getting the hang of the current job, wfh 2 days a week currently and I have some pretty cool stuff lined up to do. Looking forward to something work related for the first time in my whole career, pretty much.

binners

you wait til the interest rates go up

Or as its otherwise known: The day after the next general election 😉

emsz
    Free Member

Personally better off as I was a student now I’m working, but now having to pay rent to Chris ( flatmate) booo.

wiggles
    Free Member

I’m better off but much less secure…

I am in a temp job paying more than my old permanent one, rent bills etc have all gone up, so purely looking at the figures I’m a bit better off but in a much less secure place.

highlandman
    Free Member

Considerably worse off, with actual take home pay down over £100 per month, despite tax changes. Same job, no pay rise at all for 5 years, everything costs a whole lot more and am now paying 6.6% for a pension that used to be non-contributory, previously paid for out of earlier wage ‘restraint’ in my 25 years service.
    14% of the staff are to be made redundant this year too, including Mrs.
    Our ‘disposable’ income is down most significantly; we can afford the mortgage and keep the house, to eat and have the odd bottle of wine or go to the pictures, but that’s about it. We can’t afford new bikes or to replace our ten+ year old cars.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nope, but summer’s on it’s way so that makes me feel better 🙂

Kryton57

sharkbait – Member
    Nope, but summer’s on it’s way so that makes me feel better

That’s optimism for you *remembers 2012*

AdamW
    Free Member

Yes and no. I had a slight pay rise backdated from April 2013 in this month’s paypacket.

Balancing that is the company making redundancies left, right and centre. I avoided the first wave, another three to go. To be honest I cannot see me lasting the year there as they want to offshore as much as they can.

I also wonder about the fall in unemployment. It would be good to see how many were on those awful zero-hours contracts. And whatever the government says (of all colours) I take with a wheelbarrow of salt.

bruneep

hell no

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I feel better off, because I chose to want less. But that’s a mindset that developed over time, and only after several years in a not very happy kinda place, that would take up far more space to talk about than STW has to offer!

Northwind

Worse off here, but not terribly.

It’s the recovery where you start to notice the awkward truths. Did your employer ask you to accept a pay or conditions cut, in order to “keep the company alive?” Once they’re back into profit, will they offer you a pay or conditions increase above the average, to reward you for your help and sacrifice?

We’ve been on below-inflation rises, which isn’t so bad, but at best we’ll return to the mean afterwards, the logic that works for paycuts will never apply for raises.

MrOvershoot

Hate to say it but yes!
    I have been fortunate to have had a reasonable pay rise every year since starting this job in 1996.
    Only have a small mortgage with 5 years to go & have sufficient savings to indulge a few projects at home. Sorry 😮

For those who think food is expensive now, go back 40 years and look how much the proportion of average household income was going on food.
    Having said that I suspect energy prices have gone up out of step?

Klunk
    Free Member

nope, and a good chance mrs klunk will face redundancy in a months time. 2013 was pretty shitty and 2014 is looking no better.

MrSmith
    Free Member

(I’m Freelance) Yes. haven’t really stopped post recession and was straight back into it first week of jan when usually it takes a few weeks to get going, lots of enquiries and stuff getting booked in. day rates are static but then they are healthy compared to some trades.
    though i was in Birmingham on a job yesterday and driving to the centre i was struck by how underdeveloped the high streets looked and lots of shuttered up shops and pound shops, i guess theres a N/S split and some areas are yet to see much growth.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Me and Mrs Beans are both nurses so definitely not feeling better off but not destitute either due to changes in habits.

Cancelled a regular activity with a local business which cost £100 pr month; stopped shopping at local shops and now go to Aldi for a lot of the basics and other supermarkets for the rest; luxuries come from Amazon now not shopping in Halifax or Huddersfield; go out and to gigs less; those German on line suppliers for bike bits not the LBS.

Hence we are not really feeling it so badly but I reckon our local community spend is down by £600 per month at least which the local shops must be feeling.

ononeorange

No. I work in London and I see no sign of an upturn in jobs terms. Having said which, Mrs O did manage to secure another contract which is great.

Having just renewed my season ticket which had gone up astronomically, definitely not. The service is still as s***e as ever.

EDIT – But not to worry, MPs pensions now get the equivalent of an employer’s contribution of 28.7%. And it’s a lovely final salary-type, so we should all be really happy for them. Just remember, we’re all in it together.

marcus7
    Free Member

yeah a lot better off but not due to government strategy…. started a new company which has really paid off, a matter of right place and time for me. unfortunately the Mrs has absorbed this improved situation with house renovations.. 🙁

Blackhound

Yes. My pension fund gave me a rise for third straight year when I hadn’t had one at work for last 2 years I was there. Most of benefit due to tax changes, this increase towards £10k personal allowance is a help to me.

Tories want us to feel we have never had it so good while Labour want to say how hard it is for everybody. The key will be the ~65% of folks who actually vote. How do they feel?

somafunk

Work in Dumfries & Galloway, 3 days a week at one job – chocolatier and slightly better rate than minimum wage and either 2 or 3 days a week at another job – bike shop mechanic but v-quiet at moment so no work & no pay (it pays minimum wage anyway) so far this month and on my day off (sunday) i occasionally work for a few hours at a mates farm for cash in hand which pays more than i get at the bike shop so thank **** for that otherwise i couldn’t survive, also do a few other things that provide a sporadic income.

I guess i earn less than 50% of the national salary but cash in hand makes my earnings up to a somewhat liveable amount – though i imagine its closer to the bone than many would like, i’m used to it – got nice bikes, my car’s being repaired, i’ve got a stove fitted (aspirational stw’er), in my rented house from the council.

So i’m better off according to my friend Dave?, they really have no **** idea do they?.

footflaps

The key will be the ~65% of folks who actually vote. How do they feel?

Right now I’d expect that 95% of the population stil aren’t as well off as they were before the crash…

they really have no **** idea do they?.

more importantly they really don’t give a **** either….

smogmonster

Absolutely no complaints here, had a 5% payrise each year for the past 7 years, until last year when it was 15%, then i just got another 15% payrise as of Jan 1st. The missus hasnt had one for 5 years of course, but thankfully it hasnt really bothered us given how lucky i have been.

I certainly still have noticed how expensive everything has become, from food to bikes!

hairyscary

Yes I feel better off than last year, as I have for each of the last five years. The oil and gas industry in Aberdeen seems to have been pretty much unaffected by the UK recession.

kennyp
    Free Member

We are pretty much the same as last. That said, like most folk on here we are probably in the top 10% of the world as regards wealth, and both pretty healthy too thankfully, so no complaints from us. Quite happy with our lot really.

althepal

Tell that to my mate who worked as a 2nd engineer on the boats.. was fed up hanging around Aberdeen harbour doing piece work so buggered off to Oz.
    Deffo not better off-no wage rise for last few years (since current govt. came in coincidently), 1.5% payrise this year, increased pension contributions (for less payout) and large increases to food, bills etc.
    Never been big spenders but having to cut back/tighten belts a fair bit. I’m looking at moving to nightshift to boost our income.
    Folk on benefits are getting a better increase than me this year.. excellent news!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The high earners are the ones who have seen the biggest drops in income since the crisis. Not sure why they would be happiest. Have the Tories got a new target market?

And heaven help them if they have been financially prudent with nest eggs built up and saved away (esp pensions). With the returns on their savings being kept artificially below their correct returns (deliberately mispriced) in order to rescue those who adopted lifestyles based on financial folly. No wonder the current gov have to compromise with other policies to protect the grey vote.

mrmo
    Free Member

yes, handed in my notice and got a 15% pay rise to take it back.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yes. I was made redundant in 2008, go a new job in about 2 months for less. Worked like a crazy man and got a couple of promotions so was better off, then redundancies again….. So another job After 3 months (the same as my notice period payout) and onto a far better position and roughly double the 2008 salary with great prospects and an ability to control my own destiny. I’m quite smug!
    Certainly our customers are spending more (home improvements) we’re getting more and bigger orders every month. Should be a good year ahead.

yossarian
    Free Member

Public sector worker so haven’t seen anything other than a union negotiated 0.5% cost of living increase in the last 12 months. However we’ve worked very hard to reduce our debts over the past 2 years which has been successful so we are doing nicely now. Also starting to pick up some consultancy work as the private sector starts to warm. Better times ahead I hope.

anagallis_arvensis

I have got promotions which have increased pay but my pension payments were raised a lot and teachers havent had a pay rise since 1862 or something.

Coyote
    Free Member

Short answer? No.

motivforz
    Free Member

Have I massively misread the news story here? The new as I read it is that people have stopped getting worse off. Not that things are better than before the recession.

This is the first time that on average pay has risen faster than inflation. So we’ve hit bottom on the curve of disposable income, and are ever so slightly on the way up.

To answer the op, I’ve timed it well (well my parents did) by coming out of uni with an employable degree skill just as companies started tee hiring. My salary is lower than the market rate for my job, but by living modestly we have enough cash to get by. I would argue we do live within our means. So a small increase in salary would be most welcome and noticed.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Nearly everything has gone up in the last 3 years except my wages. 2 children in that time means im about skint.

kimbers

motivforz – Member
    Have I massively misread the news story here? The new as I read it is that people have stopped getting worse off. Not that things are better than before the recession.

This is the first time that on average pay has risen faster than inflation. So we’ve hit bottom on the curve of disposable income, and are ever so slightly on the way up.

only if you believe the government stats and most anaslysts seem to be saying they are questionable at best possibly just outright lies…. as we enter the runup to the next election the bullshit will only get thicker

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Are you feeling better off then?’ is closed to new replies.