Are you British or English/Welsh/Scottish etc?

Home Forum Chat Forum Are you British or English/Welsh/Scottish etc?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Are you British or English/Welsh/Scottish etc?
  • toomanybikes

Essex………..cos i am mate

yunki

yes.. because I am

grumm

Family heritage is Welsh/Irish but I was born in England and consider myself British.

cynic-al

Northern Irish – because the folk are different to Brits and Southern Irish IMO.

Live in Soctland now though.

Premier Icon Andy R
    Subscriber

I'm Manx.

Well, for at least five generations back anyway.

rkk01

British Cornish.
    Kernow bys vyken!

falkirk-mark

Scottish or European

fatboy slim

British First, Welsh second

British, don't really see the point in more fragmented levels of national identity.

anokdale

British by birth English by the grace of god and a Tyke above all else. 😉

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Scottish and British as I come from and live in both 😀

fwb2006

Dwy'n Cymraeg boyo

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Me: British, born in England.
    Parents: Manchester, Sheffield.
    Grandparents: England, France, Northern Ireland.
    Great Grandparents: England, Ireland, Spain, Belgium (Flemish).

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

A friend of mine in Oz once remarked no-one would claim to be English if they could claim to be Cornish. (He wasn't biased, he was Cornish)

It seems to apply to the Yorkshire lads too 🙂

don simon

Welsh. Not British as the Welsh flag isn't represented in the union jack.

rkk01

friend of mine in Oz once remarked no-one would claim to be English if they could claim to be Cornish. (He wasn't biased, he was Cornish)

There is a large Cornish diaspora in Aus because of the mining industry

JEngledow

don simon, would you consider yourself British if a flag was changed?

JEngledow…. what say you?

Davy

I'm just me. By accident of birth I became Northern/English/British/European/whatever, but I'm just the same as someone on the other side of the world. It's about time we learned to stop being so tribal, and work for the good of everyone, not just the people born/living near you, who believe the same fairy stories you do, or who look the same as you.

PeterPoddy

I'm English.

rkk01

It's about time we learned to stop being so tribal,

Doesn't work like that – although our rational brains (for those that have them) will try to construct the entirely reasonable argument that we are all the same.

I believe that we are all the same (well similar :wink:), but tribal instincts are genetically hard wired – they can be overcome by societal vaules, but still lurk beneath.

Dawkins work on altuism in animals is interesting – our (and I include animals here) altuistic behaviour works at first to defend immediate blood line (direct genetic descendency), second to defend relatives, and third to defend tribe

Premier Icon votchy
    Subscriber

I is English

tree-magnet

English, British, European, Human.

hora

I'm British. Always British. You don't expect Welshmen, Irishmen and Scots to die in vain do you? We are all British.

Sick of the stupid Braveheart-linked bollox etc. We are stronger and better together. There will always be a Politician looking for a win-subject that will get him a well-paid job evoking history. Its history dude, lets look ahead. Together.

JEngledow

Southern Yeti, I'm British, but was born in England. I'm not sure why I feel British so wondered how other people feel about the matter.

I was born in the South and grew up in the North where I was taught to be Northern and Proud and now live in the South again. I'm don't quite understand why being northern is something to be celebrated while being southern is frowned upon, I no longer see it as an issue, so don't see myself as either.

*Edit* what Hora said +1

MrCrushrider

yorkshire first, then English 😆

British, with a twist of northern irish.

Living on Merseyside I have no regional affection whatsoever – except where I was born was in Lancashire at the time.

hora

Oh yes. I am a Yorkshireman first, Born and proud.

JEngledow

Following the thread about St George’s day it made me wonder who here classes themselves as British and who prefers to be English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, or one of the other smaller geographically defined areas (Cornwall, IOW, etc) and why?

don simon

JEngledow – Member

don simon, would you consider yourself British if a flag was changed?

Probably not as I have lived with the idea for so long, there are also other aspects of life where we (Welsh/Scots/N.Irish) are marginalised. I had an example from the Guardian many years ago one day talking about the heroic British F1 driver David Coulthard followed the next day by the unceremonious exit (a crash) by the Scottish F1 driver David Coulthard!!!
    If Wales don't qualify for the World Cup (I know it's a bad example, ha ha!) I would support England as much as I would support Algeria or USA. I also don't jump on bandwagons regarding England either, if England win the World Cup, hats off and congratulations, but I won't suddenly become an England fan. And I don't particulary like when the English feel they should support Wales when we (occasionaly) have success to celebrate.If Britain was a recognised name for the country and all citizens were represented, then fine. They are not. In my opinion there is a distorted view of what is British, with a heavy bias towards England.
    Again at the Olympics the play the British national anthem playing homage to the monarch, the English monarch and not the Welsh monarch or the Welsh national anthem. Why should Nicole Cooke or Geriant Thomas receive medals to a national anthem which is not representative of their country, fine they're in the British team.

I could go on, but I won't. It's an obsevation so I won't be replying to any disparaging comments and you won't e able to change my point of view.
    Have a nice day.

coffeeking

I don't get it, I don't really "consider myself" anything, I'm me, living in the UK. I'm English officially, but I don't think it ever comes up as important at any point in my life and the only time I consider what I might be is when I need to stick it on a form.

nasher

Cymraeg, then british…. slowly turning Italian!

Also Welsh is my first language, I speak welsh with my family and friends in Wales.. My education was in Welsh, and I started learning English at around 5 years old!!

si in answer to the question it depends on who you ask, Most Scots and Irish speak english but if you ask those who are fluent and brought up in their native language have very different viws to their english speaking brethren.

hora

David Coulthard

Who?
    Eddie Irvine Who?
    Martin Brundle Who?

Lewis Hamilton? :mrgreen:
    Damon Hill? :mrgreen:
    Jackie Stewart :mrgreen:

JEngledow

don simon, I'm asking for your opinion and not trying to change your point of view.

I agree with the sh1t way the press deal with national identity (Murray for instance -British when he wins, Scottish when he loses, but always a ****t!).

I think we need more British sporting representation and more than a Lions tour or the Olympics every 4years (if nothing else we may have more chance at winning something).

As for the national anthem, I feel that England should change theirs and leave the current dirge for Britain (as is done in the Commonwealth games).

mogrim

Londoner, English, European.

mansonsoul

Just human.

**** nationalisms of any kind.

No borders.

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

nous some alles european jetzt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Are you British or English/Welsh/Scottish etc?’ is closed to new replies.