Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are you bored enough – to watch a Teaser for my big 2023 project?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

3:30 of your life you won’t get back.

Watch twice for extra disappointment

weeksy

I’m actually bored. Sitting in brewery on my own.

Not sure I’m that bored 🤣

funkmasterp

Before I watch it does it involve you getting injured?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Weeksy – If I was in a brewery, I wouldn’t bother watching it either

No injuries (yet)

DT78
    Free Member

Well I was hoping it was a trail centre build at LW

disappointed 🙁

sounds like you’ll be having fun though!

muddy@rseguy

Watching that I was struck with several thoughts:

Eh?

What??

Seriously????

And, finally, why not go all in and create a ghetto 4WD system using the Citroen engine to power the front axle and the Porsche flat six powering the rear? A bit like the original idea for the MG Metro 6R4 powertrain (before some degree of sanity prevailed). Just planting seeds…

Good luck,

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well I was hoping it was a trail centre build at LW

I tried that before I built Southampton Bike Park but the woods are owned by a family, not the Forestry Commission, and they are holding out for planning permission for some million pound houses in Hut Wood and offering Lordswood to Southampton as a peace offering. Until that gets sorted they are ‘not encouraging public access’ in Lordswood, so no trail centre. At least that is how it was when I tried in 2010.

Might get a Carrera 4 for 4wd but the Citroen engine is a pre-war lump and the worst part of the car so even if I started with a real DS I would probably swap it out.

ernie

You’re mad or a genius!  Watching with I interest😃

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I just knocked up a quick task list for the build and it doesn’t seem that bad assuming we get a few sunny days at the weekend. 27 tasks is about a month of Sundays

1 Buy the Porsche and List Faults
    2 Fix the problems
    3 Remove the bonnet, bumper and wings
    4 Build the bonnet & Wings frame
    5 Make the bonnet mould
    6 Make the Wings mould
    7 Make the headlights Mould
    8 Make the bonnet Inner
    9 Make the bonnet outer
    10 Bond the bonnet and fit
    11 Make the wings and fit
    12 Sort the front lights and wiring
    13 Make the roof mould
    14 Make to roof panel
    15 Add the old arches and bumper
    16 Make the boot frame
    17 Make mould of arches
    18 Mould the bumper
    19 Mould the boot panel
    20 Skin the c pillars and back from the door
    21 Make the new arches and fit
    22 Fit the roof, light cones and wire
    23 Make the bumper fit and wire rear lights
    24 Remove the doors and skin them
    25 Refit doors and align
    26 Review body panels for rework
    27 Front Bumper, side repeaters, wing mirrors, rear bumper

kayak23

Excellent. Shall watch along with interest.

Did you cut that bit off the porche with your aldi bandsaw?

asbrooks

Good idea, whatever you do it must remain on the same chassis.

A mate does these based on old taxis

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqwhcfQZT8U

Yep! This is a ‘minor bodywork alteration’ and not a ‘seriously modified vehicle’ or whatever the correct terms.

Just the same as my Z3 but with a better base car.

willard

I like the idea of a modern engine and drivetrain in a DS, but I am not sure about the gluing of a Porsche to the back of it. Given the classic styling of the DS and the fact that good ones are so rare now, I think that might even earn you hate from the DS-lovers.

Also, flat six… DS engine is in the front, right? Why not get a boxer four from a Subaru and use that? you could uprate the brakes and maybe the gearbox, but keep the weight/balance nearly the same and avoid having to do a lot of welding/cutting on the back.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

DS front is being made from scratch in carbon fibre. Not DS is harmed in the process of making this car. this is then being glued onto Porsche 911 with its front wings, bonnet and bumper removed.

Yes, it will provoke ‘opinions’ from DS lovers and probably Porsche ones too and I am always happy to hear those. I was discussing this with a DS owner at the weekend and he insisted I visit his home so I could spend some time properly measuring up and photographing his DS.

The overt ‘flat six’ references are just there to get the DS lovers feeling smug if they knew that it was meant to have a flat 6 originally and then make them wonder what I will do. The plan was always to use the Porsche and the engine configuration is just a happy coincidence.

Here are a couple of computer renders I have found. They are not exactly what I am aiming for but should give you an idea of the end result.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes, it will provoke ‘opinions’ from DS lovers and probably Porsche ones too

Right….

So you’re going to take a 911 and put some of the front of a DS on it?!

Questions:

1) Why would anyone in their right mind do that?

2) Have you seen the price of air cooled 911’s?  And your going to bastardise one?!

3) Again….. why?

Seems like a great way to throw away a lot of money.

(Yes I’m a Porsche fan and the thought of what you’re thinking about doing makes me feel a bit sick!)

pandhandj
    Free Member

Love it WCA!

I’d “like” it but Im a freeloader…

Please post a link to your build diary too?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

1) Why not, I will enjoy the process of learning car styling and proportions,  mould making, carbon fibre lamination and resin infusion etc and my learning/hobby will result in an interesting car.

2) No, not an air cooled on, the render is someone else’s picture. As I said in the video, a cheap 996/997, porobably a tiptronic and maybe even a cabriolet for the donor.

3) I like the Porsches but the front end is a bit meh and they are pretty common so people sort of look past the base models and unless you can afford the top end stuff (I can’t) then they are just another car. What IU am doing will not change any of the driving dynamics which are the main point of the Porsche but it will get rid of the frog nose which is the weakest styling feature in my opinion.

Seems like a great way to throw away a lot of money.  I will be the founder member of the Porsche Depreciation Society but then what is money actually for?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.