Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Are you affected by the floods?
  • jamiea
    Free Member

I’ve been driving to work as the two routes I could ride are both closed and I don’t fancy riding along the A14- though you do see people who do 😯 I can feel myself losing fitness by the day, still eating cake for elevenses can’t be helping…

In the grand scheme of things I’ve got nothing to worry about, I can’t imagine how devastating being flooded out for this long could be.

Cheers,
    Jamie

konagirl
    Free Member

The Thames barrier is used to prevent both tidal and fluvial (river) events, depending on the specifics of the situation. In the river case, the barrier can be closed at low water to allow the river flow to fill up the basin, and also closed during and after high water to increase the gradient of flow. It’s all modelled quite well by the EA and Port of London Authority staff.

Number of closures for tidal vs fluvial:

molgrips
    Free Member

watch from 6mins in, made me smile

So he’s essentially fulfilling the four yorkshiremen stereotype, on national news 🙄 I’ve no idea what point he’s making but it annoys me.

john_drummer
    Free Member

nope.

below me is a river. The one that flows through the centre of Leeds. it’s about 70m above sea level at this point.
    above me is moorland. highest point is the trig point at 282m above sea level.
    my house is on the hillside about halfway between the river & the trig point, as the crow flies.

TiRed

Yes, rode through the water in Datchet this morning. House may have a moat by the end of the week. Bikes are safe, obviously. Of course it’s my own fault for living in a house that was built on a flood plain – in 1887 😉

tom84
    Free Member

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentish_gazette/news/battle-to-save-villages-from-12501/

this is where i’m from, the picture of the car is the view out of my mum’s living room window. article mentions 4×4 drivers on flood safaris going too fast and causing waves that then wreak more havoc. i have no words to describe those people.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Fortunately no – I live on a hill above the strangely un-flooding Mole which is not behaving as it usually does when there’s a lot of rain.

A mate lives near the Thames in Molesey just west of Hampton Court though and he’s keeping an eye on the level and thinking about what to put the furniture up on, in a hurry… 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m just trying to justify not going to London today. I think that’s reasonable given I have no meetings or anything special going on.

I’ve just cancelled a meeting tomorrow…

Because of flooding near Maidenhead, trains are having to run at a reduced speed between London Paddington and Reading, with journey times being extended by up to 60 minutes.
    First Great Western are currently advising passengers not to travel. Passengers can postpone their journey and use their tickets later in the week. Ticket restrictions have been lifted across the First Great Western network until Friday 14 February.
    In addition, the following service alterations will take place in addition to other cancellations due to the problems elsewhere on the network:
    Trains between London Paddington and Cardiff only will not run

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh I missed that.

I saw the bit saying Cardiff trains won’t run, but then if you do a journey check they are running every other train.

Anyone know if the water’s still getting higher?

brassneck

Road through our village is now a river, school flooded and some houses.
    Having to drive a long way round to get to work, or cycle through some pretty deep bits, not really worth it.

We are atop 120m of chalk in the North Wessex Downs, but the chalk has had enough, and is now spitting water down the Bourne valley in the general direction of the Test (eventually).

I’m OK as I’m a further 30M odd higher on the side of the valley, but this much flooding in what is a dry valley is quite astonishing really.

alwillis

I might be affected tomorrow trying to get into London from swindon. Just seen the above advising not to travel- time to ring the boss I think!

In swindon there is some flooding around the (very small) river Thames, and a few puddles, but I had a nice road ride in the sun today 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

Apparently ground water is now coming up through the sister in laws garden.

project
    Free Member

Expect sewage etc to be coming up therough the g/f drain soon then, a neighbour in a previous house had that, not just a trickle but a huge whooshing as the drains failed.best to jam a towel down the bend to stop it

athgray
    Free Member

Thanks project. Passed the tip on.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

what happens to all the moles that live in these areas?

project
    Free Member

Also if water is approachinng, get some thick plywood , measure the distance between the brickwork on the exterior down stairs doors and get some timber cut about 3 foot high, apply a load of mastic frame sealant to faces of plywood in thick beads and along bottom edge,dont use silicone as it sets hard and is difficult to get off, screw to door frames outside of frame, this should stop the majority of ingress of water also do same for all g/f air bricks.

Pull the fuses for all ground floor sockets as if water hits them it will possibly short the whole house out.

Use plastic storage boxes to store stuff they float, so do childrens paddling pools.

Tiger6791

Right off to fill some sandbags 😥

slowjo
    Free Member

No flooding here. I live on the top of a ‘high spot’. My Garmin tells me I am 293 feet above sea level! Must sit down….I’m getting vertigo!

If we flood, most of Suffolk will be under water!

aracer
    Free Member

Not directly – I live on a hill 30m or so above the river – but the main road I can see from my windows has been solid all day, and I’m likely to get caught in the jam when coming back from taking son #2 to gymnastics later. Also spent an hour queuing to cross the river on Monday when I had to get down to London – the river bridge I’d normally use is only a couple of miles away, but traffic heading that way was totally gridlocked, so I went 6 miles north to the next open bridge (the main town bridge in Worcester was shut which was causing most of the problems). Fine going round the back lanes, but queueing for over 3 miles once I hit the main approach road.

Having to shuffle stuff today because of the traffic and it also means my mum is staying with us for a bit longer rather than my sister coming to pick her up at a time which would otherwise have been convenient.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Are you affected by the floods?’ is closed to new replies.