Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Are you a whinger ?
  • redmex
    Free Member

The cm thing is a wee bit of a side issue it was the whingin i was on about
    Another of mine is the height of the road bumps in my area massive they are yet other councils put wee pimples on the road or even just paint them on
    My gripe is my car suspension getting beaten up

Gary_M
    Free Member

You do know you’re meant to slow down going over them?

Hows your hangover? 🙂

km79
    Free Member

Dressmakers use cm. Everyone else should use mm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Dressmakers use cm. Everyone else should use mm.

Think you’d better change your username then 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

You must have a funny ruler. On mine cm are the same order of magnitude as inches (unlike mm or m).

nickc

I love that Double Decker bus is the agreed SI unit for something impressively large, and that for even larger things Wales and France are admirable substitutes.

simonloco
    Free Member

Football pitches,
    Buses
    Groats

slowoldman

“Order of magnitude” does not equate to “similar size”.

amedias
    Free Member

Centimetres are of course a ‘thing’ is just no one outside of the UK school system seems to use them

Erm, and bike frames, they all seem to be in cm.

martinhutch

For climbers, falling rocks follow the size order:

fist
    head
    microwave
    fridge
    car
    bus

pandhandj
    Free Member

Metalheart- you didn’t go to Glasgow Polytechnic in the late 80s early 90s did you? I had a lecturer who used furlongs/fortnight as a joke measurement. Never heard it anywhere else though.

I got slightly whingey the other day when I realised my daughter didn’t know what a gross or a score were.

My favorite unit of measurement factoid is that before about 1300, the English foot was 11/10ths the size of the modern imperial foot. Which is why there are 220 modern yards in a furlong rather than 200.

aracer
    Free Member

In the context it does.

For round rocks maybe. I dislodged a table sized one last year (I guess it was somewhere between microwave and fridge in mass – fortunately I had time to tell my belayer to get out of the way before it went).

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Inside leg, always CM.
    Anything else is a Dutch cask or faggot.

I had a lecturer who used furlongs/fortnight as a joke measurement

15 furlongs a fortnight would be an oxgang, or half a virgate.

DrP

Worst thing is, when you’re just telling people something, like, I dunno, “I had porridge for breakfast”, they always go, “Stop whinging!”, when, at that point, you’re not. Lotta commas in that sentence. I wasn’t whinging, just stating!

WTAF?!!

Dez – are you and the OP on the same ‘meds’??!!

DrP

nealglover
    Free Member

I think cm were thrown in because they’re a similar size to the inch, non?

Similar in what way?

You surely weren’t meaning similar in size were you !? 😐 that must have been a typo.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Centimetres are very useful in engineering.

They flag up those who haven’t got the first clue about engineering. 😯

I thought that the accepted unit of measurement round here was “an area the size of Wales”?

welsh nateral history museum (is ace you should go) marks wales on EVERY map, including Pangea.

sirromj

Tried to make a joke with colleagues this morning, the old monty python ‘back in my day we were grateful for dudududuh and xyz’. Completely lost, likelihood of intentionally lost. $£^&*$%*”^&* $%£U*((£$(*&.

perchypanther
    Free Member

you didn’t go to Glasgow Polytechnic in the late 80s early 90s did you? I

I did!

metalheart
    Free Member

Metalheart- you didn’t go to Glasgow Polytechnic in the late 80s early 90s did you?

Close, I did day release at Glasgow College of Technology. Mid/late eighties.

maccruiskeen

I like that the unit of measure for UK shoe sizes is ‘Barley Corns’. A size 9 shoe is one barley corn longer than a size 8.

A bag of barley I was carrying at the weekend split and my left boot went up from a size 12 to a size 168.

nick1962
    Free Member

Maybe it’s a generational thing
    Who says “He was a big guy over 1.82 cm”?
    Who has 17.78 and 30.4 records?
    Who orders 0.47 of a litre?
    My horses alway get pipped in the final furlong.
    I stll hate Farage though

sweepy
    Free Member

When I’m measuring stuff I get things like ‘4foot 3 and 9mil’

CountZero

Christ, I wonder how some people get through the day! I’m 64 this year, I use inches, feet, yards, miles, millimetres, centimetres, metres and kilometres, depending on which is most appropriate at the time.
    Considering to get a centimetre measurement from a millimetre measurement you divide by ten, or just knock the last digit off, it beggars belief that there are people who seem to be unable to grasp a measurement system that is divisible by ten, or a hundred, or a thousand.
    Oh, and a foot is about 30.5cm, an inch is 25.4mm, a yard a bit less than a metre, it’s a piece of piss to do a (very) rough conversion.

nick1962
    Free Member

I agree the metric system is miles more straightforward and easier to understand 🙂
    Why isn’t there a metricated time measurement system in common usage though?

aracer
    Free Member

Who has vinyl records? Regarding this century’s standards, who has 4.7 inch CDs or DVDs?

Who orders 0.47 of a litre?

Somebody who likes short measures.

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I particularly enjoy going to the timber yard and picking up 2.4m of 50×100.

kayak23

martinhutch » For climbers, falling rocks follow the size order:
    fist
    head
    microwave
    fridge
    car
    bus

For round rocks maybe. I dislodged a table sized one last year

Occasional, coffee or dining?
    It matters 🙂

Working in a college I often get teenage students coming up to me asking me to cut some mdf up or make them something giving me sizes in feet/inches.

Makes you think.

slackalice
    Free Member

I use imperial measurements when working on boats, mm for everything else. I’ve also learnt that whinging about stuff doesn’t make it go away, but I’ll feel better for having whinged about it.

docgeoffyjones

Volumetric displacement for hydraulic pumps is measured in cm3

giantalkali
    Free Member

The S.I. unit for popups and redirects is STWs…

Makes you think

redthunder
    Free Member

I only work in Buses and Football pitches as a concept of scale.

And Eiffel towers for height.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’m more of a winger.. no not the footballing type.. I just usually make it up as I go along and wing it…

aracer
    Free Member

Occasional, coffee or dining?
    It matters[/quote]

Kitchen. Slightly bigger than a coffee table.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Real people use cm. Mm are for engineers etc who want to look special. Bloody silly idea using thousands of titchy little things when a big one will do. Inches are dead handy actually . bigger than a cm , smaller than a foot, just right. A yard however is less so.
    Normal people know that their welly is 1 foot long and across your hand to the end of your thumb is 6 inches. Different sized body? Freak!

nick1962
    Free Member

Drug dealers manage to utilise both metric and imperial without issue.Weed is always in ounces eighth + quarter etc + 9 bars but coke+speed is in grams but sometimes then changes back to ounces when you buy larger amounts…or so I have heard.

Who has vinyl records?

Enough to fill Wembley stadium or a two dozen Olympic size swimming pools 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Wow – so only 90% of physical music sold is in metric sizes.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Are you a whinger ?’ is closed to new replies.