Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Are you a whinger ?
  • redmex
    Free Member

Listening to the radio as i eat my breakfast and I hear there is to be more snow 15 to 30 cm, does me in cms nobody uses them other than the bbc and blue peter years ago along with their sticky backed plastic so i admit im a whinger but then Im trumped by Ronnie o sullivan he mumps and moans constantly about snooker he should give it, snooker has been pretty good to him over the years

AdamW
    Free Member

You ok hun?

angeldust
    Free Member

Pretty incomprehensible. Did you put whisky on your cornflakes? 😆
    So is this whinge based on the fact that you don’t know how long a cm is?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ve had quite a few graduate engineers give me cm dimension. Just model it 1/10 the size and stare blankly at them.

But i can’t say it bothers me!

Also tape measures and almost evey ruler are in cm.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

15 to 30 cm, does me in cms nobody uses them

No-one uses centimetres? Damn this new-fangled metric system.

A very odd post on a Friday morning. Perhaps have another coffee and chill.

slowoldman

I’ve had quite a few graduate engineers give me cm dimension

Slightly bizarre. In my engineering days it was m. and mm. Well, apart from inches for pipes, bricks and reinforcing steel obviously!

Oh and ft ins and kips when working for an American consultant.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Slightly bizarre. In my engineering days it was m. and mm. Well, apart from inches for pipes, bricks and reinforcing steel obviously!

Yeah mm, m and km for us. As for pipes, well those are only nominal and there is seldom any dimension that is actually the same as the nominal size in inches. The only thing I use cm for is my height.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, not going into the measurement systems, but answerin the question, I am.
    Worst thing is, when you’re just telling people something, like, I dunno, “I had porridge for breakfast”, they always go, “Stop whinging!”, when, at that point, you’re not. Lotta commas in that sentence. I wasn’t whinging, just stating!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Thats my point. We were definitely taught cms in school.

Yards for railways
    Feet are still used for floor areas aren’t they?

traildog
    Free Member

Are you over 60 years old? It may surprise you to learn that many people use cms. If you google it, you will learn that they’re a fraction of a metre, which is an SI unit so used quite an awful lot. When measuring something like snowfall, people often use cms rather than a decimal point of a metre. The way the weather is going, we’ll soon be using millimeters to measure snowfall.

twistedpencil

Christ on a bike there’s still imperial unit remoaners about…

Hopefully this flu epidemic will see them all off 🙂

scotroutes

Unless you can levitate, yes.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Listening to the radio as i eat my breakfast and I hear there is to be more snow 15 to 30 cm, does me in cms nobody uses them other than the bbc and blue peter years ago along with their sticky backed plastic so i admit im a whinger but then Im trumped by Ronnie o sullivan he mumps and moans constantly about snooker he should give it, snooker has been pretty good to him over the years

Are you sure you were eating breakfast, and not drinking it?

Nobody uses cm? I think you may be wrong, miles out in fact.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Work in both at work master reel comes on a 3 or 6″ core but is 1200mm wide 😆
    Bag is made 200mm x 300mm but is put on a 3″ wicket

nickc

I though Brexit was going to mean that we didn’t have to use these new fangled johnny-come-lately units of measurements and we’re going back to Fathoms and knots by Jove!!

Or is it yards and stones, or crumpets and cubits, or strong and stable, I get confused…

Pyro

Apologies for the sweary…

beej

This may blow your mind OP, but when I track rides I do it in kilometres.

igm

Pyro 8)

fasthaggis

This may blow your mind OP beej, but when I track rides I do it in kilometers miles .

😉 😛

shermer75
    Free Member

Think of all the money you’ve saved on punctuation

joshvegas
    Free Member

twistedpencil – Member
    Christ on a bike there’s still imperial unit remoaners about…

Where?

In engineering its km m and mm

Unless its not.

Simples.

zippykona

I do millimetres, inches , feet and miles.
    I like my bikes weighed in pounds but components in grams.
    I like my temp to be C up to 20 and F after that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No-one uses centimetres? Damn this new-fangled metric system.

I’m picturing a drunk Scotsman snowed in and going slightly mad with cabin fever when I read the OP, but I think they mean that no-one uses cms over mm rather than it’s was all fields and inches when I was a lad.

Centimetres are of course a ‘thing’ is just no one outside of the UK school system seems to use them (and seemingly radio weather types of course) – it’s millimetres, metres and kilometres.

whitestone
    Free Member

About the only things I struggle with using metric are personal sizing like height, waist, chest, etc., everything else I prefer metric. I just about remember my height but if asked what my chest size was in metric I’d have to work it out from the imperial figure.

Distances I’ll use whatever’s handiest really, so: half a mile; a kilometre; a mile; two km. Up to around 800m/yds they are interchangeable in conversation but I’ll definitely use metric if I know it’s going to wind up whoever I’m talking to! 😆

nedrapier

ha! what’s that from, Pyro?

sobriety
    Free Member

I’ve had quite a few graduate engineers give me cm dimension. Just model it 1/10 the size and stare blankly at them.

If they actually put ‘cm’ then it’s a valid unit and you’re being a dick, if they didn’t then why not have some fun and do it in chains, or fathoms, as one of the first things I learnt at uni was if you don’t unit it, it could be anything.

shermer75
    Free Member

I think cm were thrown in because they’re a similar size to the inch, non? All the other units of metres occur in three orders of magnitude, so cm doesn’t really fit in..

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure clothing in the UK uses ‘cm’ but what about on the continent? Do trousers have a 750mm or 75cm waist?

jlln
    Free Member

[unless you can levitate’ yes]

Ha ha ha funniest post on this thread, scotroutes.

This forum is much more entertaining than telly

bikebouy
    Free Member

traildog – Member
    Are you over 60 years old? It may surprise you to learn that many people use cms.

This +1

Is the OP from Yoikshire I wonder..

Pyro

ha! what’s that from, Pyro?

Found it on Imgur, from a book by Josh Bazell (‘Wild Thing’), apparently.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think cm were thrown in because they’re a similar size to the inch

Not on my ruler.

binners

I only use the same units of measurements as tabloid newspapers.

1. Football pitches
    2. Double-decker buses
    3. How many items need to be stacked on top of one another to reach to the moon

perchypanther
    Free Member

4. Whales
    5. Wales

metalheart
    Free Member

My favourite measurement is furlongs per fortnight.

However, use BTU’s and I’m ready to deploy some of Tons fist pie.

Metrication, when was that again, 1970-what?

Nico
    Free Member

Yards for railways

Railway yards? Feet on the floor? #snowflake

igm

At least they didn’t metricise the British £. 😉

slowoldman

Double-decker buses

As used by Manchester Main Drainage to measure the size of holes created by collapsed sewers. Currently used in London to describe the size of fatbergs in sewers.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I thought that the accepted unit of measurement round here was “an area the size of Wales”?

I don’t understand the fuss over metric measurements. They simply work and work well. Some of the older generation get sniffy about metric being used and see it as some kind of personal slight, but given the cold temperatures we’re seeing this winter, hypothermia will resolve that problem.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Are you a whinger ?’ is closed to new replies.