Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • are you a real man? hair cut or hair style?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

after reading a fine example of online bullying, promptly reporting the thread to CEOP and the local police station… i’ve decided its time for a haircut, or hairstyle? type thread.

myself… haircut, but the fine turkish gentleman always do such a good job it feels like a hair style.

Cougar

I’m not sure as I appreciate the difference.

Though up until a couple of months ago the answer would have been “neither” for the past ten years so I’m probably underqualified to answer.

titusrider
    Free Member

I have always gone to a ‘salon’ type establishment and have never once been to a barbers…

I guess this makes me less of a man but im sure stems from the fact I always used to get taken for a hair cut by/with my mum at the same place.

zippykona

Real men are bald and consider a no.1 too long.

nbt

go to a barbers, sit in a chair until it;’s time to sit n the barber’s chair, ask for a number 2 up the back and sides with a trim on the top, hope they aren’t fetishists and don’t **** on my head

philconsequence
    Free Member

hairstyle = paying more than a tenner for it to be shaped into something considered fashionable

haircut = sitting down, saying ‘short back and sides please, not too much off the top the missus doesn’t like me looking like a squadie’ paying with a tenner and letting the turkish chap with big arm muscles keep the change

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m a style man, I care a lot about the way I look..currently sporting a Zac Efron stylee and by god it suits me..mwaxxxx

I consider paying £60.00 a fair price for looking smashing, by god I look smashing.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Clippers No1,all over (including face……but no lower).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Toni and guy every 6 weeks = £55, hair style thanyou very much!

dknwhy

Best I answer before I get banned then seeing as I prompted this… 😆

Always been a hair cut for me. Go to the barbers, walk in, see a massive line of blokes sitting there so walk out again cursing myself for being so stupid as to want to get my hair cut at the same time as normal people.
    Come back on a Wednesday morning when there’s no queue but then have to put up with the pensioner in for his £6 special discussing just which side he wants his dandruff brushed onto.

Read yesterday’s paper whilst I wait and then sit in the chair, careful to collect just enough pensioner dandruff onto my jeans whilst matey asks me the same questions as if he’s never seen me before. FFS, I’ve been coming here every 6 weeks for 8 years.

Get charged the usual £9 which is exactly the right price to be guilted into handing over a £10 note and saying “keep the change mate, no seriously – that trim on top and 2 on the sides and back was spot on. The way you scraped the back of my neck with that dirty razor was exceptional – it was worthy of the tip alone.”

Leave, moan, repeat every 6 weeks, cos i’m a man.

Klunk
    Free Member

Clippers No 1, find its tricky doing behind the ears.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

My old man used to take me to a barbers that cut my hair for 50p, it was part hairdressers part bike shop!!

Those were the ****in days!!

spudnick
    Free Member

clippers number 2 with anicwe amount of beard on show. no shorter than a 2, the misses would disapprove

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Barbers shop once every couple of months or so or when I think its gotten too long. Fancy salon type place once a year maybe if there’s a special occasion where I want to look… styled? So long as my hair is just on the tidy side of scruffy then I’m happy.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

These days my hairdresser comes to me once every 3 weeks(!)
    In London I used to go to Tino’s barber shop in Russell Square and insisted on waiting for Tino himself to cut me barnet.
    Great barber!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My barber cuts my hair. We discuss cricket while he does so.

Junkyard
    Free Member

about shoulder length/longer cut once per year

Annual cost about a fiver

i very much doubt this counts as a style though it may count as an absence of it

McHamish
    Free Member

Barbers….Hair Cut.

My wife laughs when i say “I’m off to get my hair cut”, then I come back 20 minutes later with a £9 hair cut perfectly executed in record time.

When I was younger i used to get my hair cut by Stan the Monday Man who rented the local hairdressers on Mondays for £1.50. Then I dated his daughter for a little while and got my hair cut free for a while.

I went to a proper hairdressers the day before my wedding…complete waste of £50. The guy fannied around my head for ages, at one point i wondered if he had finished…he was just looking at it from various angles before starting again.

I went to my local barbers when i got back from honeymoon.

jimmy

Real men are bald and consider a no.1 too long

This. As much as it pains me.

maxray
    Free Member

Not enough hair left (on my head anyway) to warrant the barbers 🙁 I just clipper my own, down to open clippers no grade.

McHamish
    Free Member

Not enough hair left (on my head anyway) to warrant the barbers I just clipper my own, down to open clippers no grade.

Is it wierd to be looking forward to being bald enough to do it myself?

A few of my friends use a clipper and I’m a little jealous.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Number one, all over, done at home with £10 Babyliss trimmers bought with Mrs. C’s Boots Points.

Space Cadet, etc.

Baldness, from the front, at 25.

Thanks Dad. Grandad. Uncle. Great Uncle.

I’m having a beard instead.

ourmaninthenorth

My hairdresser is mental. She entertains me* and cuts my hair just how I like it.

Which is just as well, as it costs a **** fortune.

*mental**

**sorry philconsequence, I know I shouldn’t use that word, but it does capture her, er, joie de vivre

bigG
    Free Member

Hair cut in a hair dressers salon. The one my wife goes to, she knows the guy that runs it so I get a discount, still costs me more than I used to pay but it keeps the wife happy so it’s money well spent.

Cougar

I’ve been coming here every 6 weeks for 8 years.

Get charged the usual £9

You’ve spent 700 quid on haircuts in that time, then.

I’ve had mine cut occasionally over that sort of time, usually for events like weddings, but at a salon. Probably more than nine quid but certainly no more than twice that. So whilst the salon might be a bit poncy and metrosexual, I’d be surprised if I’ve spent a tenth of what the serial barberees have.

oldgit
    Free Member

Get wife, daughter or son to cut mine with the dogs scissors. Full head of hair but would never consider ever ever ever buying a brush or comb.
    Wash it. Towel dry it. Thingybob it with my fingers.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Haircut at a barbers if I had hair, as it is I shave it all over but did so before I lost it; something very liberating about not having to worry what your hair looks like.

Personally I think fancy hair is for boys not men and if you’re still getting/changing hair styles based on fashion in your 30’s then you’ve got insecurity issues and would be better off saving the money and spending it on a counsellor

pjm84
    Free Member

Grade 0 to 0.5 depending on how I feel.

nealglover
    Free Member

Get wife, daughter or son to cut mine with the dogs scissors.

Trying a bit too hard to “out manly” the clipper users there ?

Are scissors that haven’t been used to trim round a dogs arse hair not available.

mboy
    Free Member

Full head of luscious thick hair here (thanks Dad, Grandad etc.) that grows ridiculously quickly, but a total absence of giving a stuff means that I pop into a ” UK barber shop” about once every 3 months for a £6 cut.

So depending on where I am in the 3 month cycle, you might meet me with anything from a Grade 2 all over, to it being about 3 inches long all over! It’s really thick though, so tends to stick up of its own accord, almost David Beckham Brylcreem style… Perish the thought of actually using any “product” in my hair, if it needs calming down at all I just put a baseball cap on for 20 minutes before I’m going anywhere and that flattens it down a bit… 🙂

Used to do it myself, but the cheap £20 clippers I bought lasted about 3 haircuts cos my hair is so thick, it pretty much destroyed em! So at £6 a time going to the barbers is cheaper…

Gorehound
    Free Member

Shave what’s left of it off every other week.

oldgit
    Free Member

Are scissors that haven’t been used to trim round a dogs arse hair not available.

Sokay I wipe them on my wives flannel. Used an electric shaver thing once, but my missus sent me off to work with squares missing out of my head.
    However and it’s a big however. My son works in a ladies barbers after college and his boss want’s to get her hands on me…..missus.

yunki
    Free Member

unless you pull it all out yourself in large fistfuls every six months or so, it is very likely that you are a shandy drinking northerner, or an hairdresser or suchlike..

unklehomered
    Free Member

NO barbers in my little town any more. More’s the pity.

So to the ‘unisex’ hair dressers, explain a number 1 back and sides and cut down to 1/2 an inch on top.

Usual responce “Yes but you don’t it too short do you…” not a question, sort of an observation

Well if by too short you mean shorter than I just described to you, then no, i don’t hence the description in what I would consider to be hair dresser parlance.

No.1 attached to clippers which are then wafted around my head like some kind of talisman against the evil voodoo of too short-a-hair. This is what led me to drop to a number one, used to be a number 2 but my old place pretty much drove the bastards into my skull, which had the desired effect. What’s the point in attaching what is all said and done a measuring device and then NOT USING IT? So we bugger about spending ages waving this device about like we’re doing some kind of mystical Hair Reiki because without ever being applied to my head it doesn’t seem to work very well, before start on the top, after a lot “I’ll go to a number 4 at the top. then start snipping seemingly randomly over the top of my head, constant breaking off todo my neck, then sidies (Do you want these trimming back?” – “No thanks” – BAM – they’re just gone.), then round my ears, each time going back to do a few more seemingly arbitrary snips on top.

“SO How’s that for you?”

And since each snip remove only about 3mm of hair and it’s been a month since my last hair cut “Errr, yeah a little bit more off please” so we go on for a dozen snips removing another mm here and there.

“There we go.”

“Errrr, could you take a little bit more off, pretty please?”

Repeat until eventually I give up. Pay (no tip), go home, and remove the chavesque fringe I always get left with (I’m 32 FFS!) and take the top down a bit best I can in a mirror. Same bloody woman, every month… to begin with I thought she might actually learn after a while but they seems to have been blind pointless optimism on my part. You would have more luck teaching a goldfish to remember the books of the Old Testament.

There did used to be a barbers. I went once, bloke outside flicked his ciggy away as I walked in, followed me in, 10 minutes, just how I wanted it. Minimal pointless waffley chat, sorted. Next time I went down I walked in it had in one month became an art gallery… Of stupid crappy modern art that as far as I can tell involves the artist smacking his face into his palette and then spending 15 minutes head butting the canvas, then slapping a hundred pound price tag on it.

Seriously considered driving 60 mile round trip to go my old place in Leeds, 6 music, hair cut how I liked, good reading matter while I wait. Strictly no appointments. Bliss.

God I miss Leeds.

mrmo
    Free Member

i don’t bother, i have an agreement with my hair, i leave it alone and it leaves me alone.

Jamie
    Free Member

Real men are bald and consider a no.1 too long.

This. As much as it pains me

Amen, brothers.

/manhugs all round.

pingu66
    Free Member

Used to have short spiky style met the OH at 40 lost a lot of hair now No1 all over job done.

Anything over a tenner and your far too in touch with your feminine side.

DezB
    Free Member

My bruv does mine wiv clippers. For nuffin.

(But I do use a shaver with more than one blade, so I am in touch with my non-manly side.)

hertz32
    Free Member

Amersham where i live has 7 hardresser, barber and salons. Than is no word of a lie. i go to danielles barbers and ask for a trim behind the ears, square neck, weight off the top and a fringe trim so it sweeps sideways (NOT emo style). jobsagoodun.

McHamish
    Free Member

Seems to be a lot of instructions required for some people.

“grade 2 round the sides, short on the top please”.

Then i just sit there in silence wondering what the 2 Turkish barbers are talking about.

I know some people like to have a chat with their barber, but i just want him to cut my hair and stop talking…hate it when they start talking.

Yes, I’m a miserable git.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘are you a real man? hair cut or hair style?’ is closed to new replies.