Are we seeing the beginning of the end of the car as status symbol?

Home Forum Chat Forum Are we seeing the beginning of the end of the car as status symbol?

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)
  • Are we seeing the beginning of the end of the car as status symbol?
  • lilchris

Depends if you’re doing it to be ironic.

Ask the person on checkout what they think.

Solo

Not strange at all. What do you think premium means?

Partial quote posted, in reading the original post, fail.
    Never mind, eh.

Depends if you’re doing it to be ironic.

Are you new here ? Only, well, it’s Binners. I expect that were you a regular. Then like the rest of us, you’d expect it from this particular member.
    They’re part of a small group of members who are compulsive, closet comedians. They suffer a seemingly incurable desire to make a joke about everything.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Is the latest one much better? I drove my sister’s two-year old model and thought it was a bit basic, and not a patch on a Focus.

.. and my sister got a Golf TDi this year as replacement for her Focus (brand new cc) and it was night and day – the VW ‘nicer’ & better in everyway. Could just be down to spec levels, maybe your sister got a lower spec Golf / higher spec Focus .. could also be down to taste, a lot of people don’t like the black/grey/silver VW interior, can seem a bit sombre.

I’d like a nice car, but without a car allowance I’d just see it as money I could be spending bringing down the mortgage floating away on the wind. But most people I work with think that effectively renting a new car is OK, just see it as a hassle free cost of ownership, in neat monthly chunks.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Partial quote posted, in reading the original post, fail.
    Never mind, eh.

I’ve no idea why you’re so confrontational. I quoted a bit to make it clear that I was speaking to you. I’m just wondering about the definition of ‘premium’ and if it varies between people. Personally, I think a nice interior and lots of gadgets are two of the main things. What do you think?

Re the Focus – I test drove one and found it basic compared to VW 🙂 The new Mk7 one is well received for its interior.

Nico

LOL @ “populous”. Obviously knows nothing.

olddog

Isn’t premium look and feel of VW to differentiate from otherwise very similar stable mates from Seat and Skoda?

To answer the original question – judging by all the Range Rovers and Audi 4wd the early morning uber-mums drive to my gym – I’m say that status is still a big deal.

Solo

Grips.
    I’m not being confrontational. You read my comments about awaiting the break down services. I was making a point. I’ve owned lots of VAG and FMC cars and I work in the industry. Pretty/attractive interiors are no measure of the ‘premium’ of a vehicle, when durability, reliability, servicing, safety, etc, etc, are as important, if not more so than a pretty dashboard.

Believe me, there are ‘premium’ cars out there that I wouldn’t want to be a driver/passenger in.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

durability, reliability, servicing, safety, etc, etc, are as important

Well they are certainly desirable features, but that’s why I’m asking what premium means. Reliable manufacturers aren’t considered premium. And not all premium brands are reliable. A lot of people do not buy on reliability.

Remeber that I’m talking about the typical perception of the public here, not your actual opinion.

Premier Icon muggomagic
    Subscriber

Judging by the fact that Rolls Royce have again recorded record sales for last year (and will do so again this year). I’m guessing the car as a status symbol among the super rich will be around for a little while yet.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

muggomagic – Member
    Judging by the fact that Rolls Royce have again recorded record sales for last year (and will do so again this year). I’m guessing the car as a status symbol among the super rich will be around for a little while yet.

Bah, Rollers are as common as cat exhaust. For status you need something unique.

I think this may do…

[video]http://youtu.be/D3JibMTErJY[/video]

Currently on eBay – don’t let it slip past you. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 121 through 130 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Are we seeing the beginning of the end of the car as status symbol?’ is closed to new replies.