Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)
  • Are we going to see a 3" tyre craze (that requires new frame, fork and wheels)?
  • Euro
    Free Member

…I don’t get sucked in by fads…

but just happened to have the following bits lying about the shed

Spesh Enduro 29 er with 650b wheels and 3inch + tyres

😉

jamj1974

We didn’t ask to be cynical, it was forced on us by the marketing people.

Part of the problem for me is the arrival of new standards in the marketplace as a replacement[/i] for existing standards e.g. tapered rather than straight steerers, QR15 over 20mm, 650b over 26″. I’m all for innovation but we seem to be in a place where manufacturers throw the baby out with the bath water in an attempt not to be left behind.

Paceman
    Free Member

LOL… there’s no way Fat & Semi-Fat bikes are going to be a replacement for traditional mountain bikes, and from what I can see, their emergence on the market has stemmed from rider demand, not from marketing as was the case with 650B, tapered headtubes, bolt-thru axles etc.

nasher
    Free Member

@ Euro, wish it was lying around my garage

miketually
    Free Member

I miss my very old proto inbred

I was going to mention that 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t get why you would want high profile tyres on a full suspension bike like that specialized when you have masses of controlled/damped suspension travel – tyres are undamped. All you are doing is increasing tyre roll in corners.

Where as something like procore will give you better grip at lower weights with less tyre roll and better suspension performance because of the progressive nature of the spring rate in the tyre.

Especially on muddy english trails? Why the hell would you want something that floats on mud, whenever we rode muddy tracks at UK DH races we swapped to thin swampies etc to cut through the mud.

Fat bikes have a very narrow defined use and they are great for that – bringing fat bike style tyres over to normal mtb bikes smacks of pure marketing BS.

We used to be able to get 2.6/2.7? DH tyres back in the day (can’t remember what they were) and no one ever bothered running them – 2.5 was more than enough. Big tyres didn’t give you better times, they just allowed newbies that needed to learn how to ride to get down the track without coming off.

scotroutes

Sounds perfect to me. When can I buy them?

Northwind

I’ve got a 2.7 highroller somewhere- I quite like it, because it’s a 2.5 and I’d got annoyed about buying 2.5 highrollers and discovering they were 2.35s (and doubly annoyed that the 2.35 failed to be 2.1, continuing the trend)

The semi-skimmed Ragley on here a few days ago looked mint, quite fancy trying that.

hora
    Free Member

Jesus we did this back in 01-03’ish with Nokian and Intense too? It was shit then. Peeps bought them prob to look more motocrosslite. Sensible progression? Jesus sweet child of Nazareth.

Stop. Riders and non-riders will point and laugh at you and say ‘can’t afford a MX or ride one’?

doh
    Free Member

We used to be able to get 2.6/2.7? DH tyres back in the day (can’t remember what they were) and no one ever bothered running them – 2.5 was more than enough. Big tyres didn’t give you better times, they just allowed newbies that needed to learn how to ride to get down the track without coming off.

I can remember back in the day when 1.8 was normal and 2.1 was big. Marketing obviously ruined bikes before you even started.

And again if you are worried about people pointing and laughing you probably shouldn’t be a 40something beardy chubby Lycra wearer on a bicycle.

hora
    Free Member

You’ve just described all Hebden Bridge riders (and the males)

deviant
    Free Member

Hora is right about the Nokian era of ’01-’03….2.6-3.0 tyres were tried and were crap, too heavy and draggy and people moved back to 2.5 or less.

When the DH World Cup guys can do amazing things on tyres that are 2.3-2.5 i’m struggling to think exactly what a larger tyre will offer me?

I dont live in the Alps…or book an uplift every weekend, i live in the fairly flat South-East and need my tyres to be easy to pedal….grinding round on a fat tyre fashion statement does not appeal, i like my bikes to be agile and as effortless to pedal as possible, like a lot of people i run a narrower rear for this very reason…fat, semi-skimmed, 650b+ or whatever guff its being called this week is a great example of style over substance.

Northwind

deviant – Member

When the DH World Cup guys can do amazing things on tyres that are 2.3-2.5 i’m struggling to think exactly what a larger tyre will offer me?

Maybe something different that isn’t for dh world cup? There’s tons of stuff we use that they don’t, if I ever become a dh world cup racer I’ll worry about that, in the same way as I don’t worry about what tyres Lewis Hamilton uses when I need something for my family estate car.

Shackleton

While I can’t see me ever going full fat, for many of the trails I ride in the highlands of Scotland a lightweight tyre that has a bigger footprint and therefore reduces trail erosion and (visible) impact of bikes on fragile and/or heavily used environments, while improving traction and the ability to traverse deep boggy ground, sounds like a great idea.

Not everyone rides DH, nor are you going to be forced to buy fatter tyres. I wouldn’t use them on a DH track either (or trail centre for that matter) but for the right purpose they sound ideal.

Not all change is bad (although, for the record, I think 650b is marketing bollocks).

JCL
    Free Member

Nasher,

Can I get a shot of the chainstay clearance on that Enduro.

And maybe a profile shot of the bike too?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fat, semi-skimmed, 650b+ or whatever guff its being called this week is a great example of style over substance.

Or, depending on your views on such things, it’s fantastic that our chosen pastime is so diverse, and we are willing to try different technologies available to us. Thank god for choices.

Edit – apologies, I shouldn’t really have read past this bit –

Hora is right

🙄

deviant
    Free Member

I think that looks interesting Nasher. Reminds me of when 24″ conversions were being tried on 26″ DH bikes but with much higher profile tyres to make up the size difference.

And look at all those 24 inch wheeled fat tyred bikes we see around at the mom….oh wait.

Just a few months ago the anti 650b brigade were saying that 26 to 27.5 was a pointless move because by putting a large tyre on a 26 you could get roughly to the size of a 650b anyway….this was then shouted down by people who quite rightly said that having a fat tyre on a 26 was less desirable than a lower profile on a 650b because the fat tyre is effectively undamped suspension and the tyre deflects too much providing an unstable platform.

Now the industry would have you believe that actually this is a good thing!

….if you’re thinking of trying 650b+ just by a 29er.

The overall wheel/tyre diameters will i’m sure be roughly the same and you’ll actually have a tyre that fits, doesnt bounce off everything or deform horribly at low pressures etc etc

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

It won’t really take off until there are plenty of decent tyres available. So hopefully soon!

jameso

….if you’re thinking of trying 650b+ just by a 29er.

The overall wheel/tyre diameters will i’m sure be roughly the same and you’ll actually have a tyre that fits, doesnt bounce off everything or deform horribly at low pressures etc etc

Theory and practice rarely align really well. For some stuff Plus size tyres might be great, they will be rubbish for others. I doubt you’ll see B+ winning high level Enduros but there’s a lot of people buying bikes who DGAS about who does what in racing or what tech is good this season.

takisawa2

+1 futon river crossing

3 years in to 29+ we don’t exactly have a mind boggling selection of 29″x3″ tyres & 40mm+ rims to choose from. 😐

flange
    Free Member

There’s a lot of angry angry people on here…

Went riding on Xmas day in Thetford forest (was lovely) and a chap passed me riding a fatty. He looked to be having a lot of fun and it did leave cool tyre tracks, which is always awesome.

I’d like to have a go on one. I’d like to have a go on 29er+ and 650b+ just to see what they’re like too. You don’t have to buy them, and they’re not going to take over the world.

I quite like the idea of lots of different wheel sizes and tyre widths. Choice innit. Bottom Bracket standards on the other hand….

hora
    Free Member

Some of us tried it before. Its not anger its amusement.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I tried it and am completely sold on it.
    Makes a rigid bike more comfortable without the negative effects of a suspension fork.

Absolutely loving my Stooge right now. Currently has a 3″ upfront with a 2.4″ rear both on 45mm rims.
    Thinking about a 650b+ in the back but I’m pretty sure it’s upfront where the benefits are dealt.

flange
    Free Member

Some of us tried it before. Its not anger its amusement.

You didn’t though, did you – you had 26inch nokian which was utterly terrible, in the league of a Tioga DH and IRC missile. Heavy, stiff casings with monster truck type tread. Awful.

You also didn’t have tubeless which makes a huge difference on these larger casings.

And from what I’ve heard Hora, you couldn’t ride out of sight on a dark night so I’ll base my opinions on having actually ridden these before writing them off as ‘wannabe Motocross’ or whatever nonsense you spouted up there…

EDIT:

For reference, a Nokian Gazzaloddi in a 3 inch flavour weighs in at just shy of 1.7kgs. Each. Thats nearly 4lbs. Per. Tyre. And then you have to add in the crazy heavy DH inner tube, which is around 500g each end.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Tbh ..the more choice of bikes the better ….nobody has to actually buy into it unless they want to

Del

except you didn’t.
    the 2.6 and 3.0 gazzaloddi weigh 1460g and 1697g respectively
    sauce
    the dirt wizards are 850g and 1050g for folding and wire bead respectively. sorry, i only have claimed weights as they don’t appear on mtbtires.com yet. saucey charlie
    so at double the weight of a regular tyre the gazzas are certainly going to make their presence felt. the dirt wizards aren’t significantly heavier than a regular tyre.
    be interested to know what rims the gazzas were being run on too?
    you can bag a trials rim with 47mm ID for ~50 quid. so for ~ 120 quid you can go semi skimmed up front on a regular HT…

accu
    Free Member

“the more choice of bikes (wheelsizes ,standards, whatsoever) the better”
    totally agree…
    as long as we have the choice!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

And from what I’ve heard Hora, you couldn’t ride out of sight on a dark night so I’ll base my opinions on having actually ridden these before writing them off as ‘wannabe Motocross’ or whatever nonsense you spouted up there…

Pwned

Del

bugger! should have refreshed the thread before doing all that ^. more than made up for by Flange’s post though. LOL!

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’m sensing a strong anti-innovation vibe around here lately. If someone wants to try and break away from what we consider normal and have a crack at launching a new product or idea then go them!

Sure, there are plenty of reasons why fat tyres don’t make sense performance wise… but they sure look like a lot of fun.

As for references to tapered head tubes, different wheel sizes, axle standards etc. I personally think these are great steps forward in the advancement of our bikes.

…or maybe I’ve been completely brain washed by the marketing men.

ajantom

Morning Del 😉

Now he’s ridden with me on my Krampus – doesn’t slow me down too much, but apparently looks amusing from behind when I go over rooty sections.
    I wouldn’t expect 3″ tyres to replace normal width tyres, why should they? But, more options is good right? I suppose some people just like moaning without actually trying out things.
    For me, on the terrain I ride, and the speeds I ride at, they work.
    Right I’m going to go out for a ride 😀

BillOddie

Are we going to see a 3″ tyre craze (that requires new frame, fork and wheels)?

Yes – I’ll be riding one this year so by definition it will be the best thing since sliced white.

:FACT:

chestrockwell

I have not felt the need to get any of the current fashion standard tyre size so can’t imagine I’d be interested in getting a new frame to fit even more pointless tyres. If you’re weird enough to want a fat bike then mtfu and just get one.

I can’t see the point of paying a decent amount to get a light weight wheel set only to stick some unnecessarily heavy/wide rubber on them. I’ll stick to lighter wheels with decent front and rear suss. 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Makes a rigid bike more comfortable without the negative effects of a suspension fork.

What would those negative effects be?

Sure, there are plenty of reasons why fat tyres don’t make sense performance wise… but they sure look like a lot of fun.

Fat bike tyres are great for all terrain style bikes, those used for traversing bogs, sand or snow.

They aren’t great for grip/speed at trail centers/enduro races/downhill races. To pretend otherwise is daft. Honestly for normal riding, procore is the way to go if you want more grip and comfort. Aside from all the other advantages of procore, it allows you to dial in the grip that you need by simply altering the PSI from a normal range right down to below 20 psi – without having to change your tyre.

flange
    Free Member

Fat bike tyres are great for all terrain style bikes, those used for traversing bogs, sand or snow.

They aren’t great for grip/speed at trail centers/enduro races/downhill races. To pretend otherwise is daft.

Well that’s cleared that up then. I’ll make sure to mention that to anyone I see on a fatbike having fun.

Honestly for normal riding, procore is the way to go if you want more grip and comfort. Aside from all the other advantages of procore, it allows you to dial in the grip that you need by simply altering the PSI from a normal range right down to below 20 psi – without having to change your tyre.

Do you use Procore yourself? Are you a fan because it has ‘Pro’ and ‘Core’ in the name?

Shackleton

I’ve seen 29+ and fatbikes ridden in the snow, down DH tracks, across beaches, at trail centres and on normal natural trails. And you know what? Every one of them had a massive grin plastered over their faces.

So if nothing else they seem to provide pleasure, regardless of their intended use or what some po-faced forum dweller who wants their opinions enforced on the rest of the world imagines to be the truth.

Call it free will, democracy, having a choice or not giving a monkey’s pissflaps what someone else thinks of you. If they want to do it and someone will sell it to them then what exactly is the problem? I can’t see how it will affect you (unless people enjoying themselves on bikes you don’t approve of makes you realise what a mirthless and hollow experience your own rides must be 😉 ).

It is all riding bikes for fun, why does it need to get so serious and prescriptive? Don’t want to ride fat tyres on your colour coded Enduro gnarpoon dandyhorse or DH ‘rig’? Simple – don’t buy them and then don’t fit them to your bike.

ajantom

Didn’t get to go for a ride in the end, but been promised I can tomorrow – baby takes priority apparently 🙄

Re: suspension forks…

Cost, weight, servicing, seals, leaks, you know the usual.

Ok I’ll bite…

They aren’t great for grip/speed at trail centers/enduro races/downhill races. To pretend otherwise is daft. Honestly for normal riding, procore is the way to go if you want more grip and comfort.

Have you actually ridden a large footprint tyre? At speed? Probably not I guess, because, guess what….the grip is great. Have you ridden procore, or just basing you opinion on what you have read on the interweb?

spectabilis
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member

Well brake dive, and the way your body positioning/weight distribution has a drastic effect on the performance of the suspension.
    IME after riding suspension for a long time you only notice the positives but take it away and the negatives become apparent.

Northwind

deviant – Member

Just a few months ago the anti 650b brigade were saying that 26 to 27.5 was a pointless move because by putting a large tyre on a 26 you could get roughly to the size of a 650b anyway….this was then shouted down by people who quite rightly said that having a fat tyre on a 26 was less desirable than a lower profile on a 650b because the fat tyre is effectively undamped suspension and the tyre deflects too much providing an unstable platform.

If you can’t see why the two are different you must be daft tbh. 650b is being sold as entirely as a performance improvement at the expense of withdrawing 26 entirely- small benefits, massive costs and downsides. Plus sizes and fatbikes are mostly being pitched as something fun and different you can do with bikes, and more importantly- not at the expense of anything else.

Not everything on a bike has to be better- worse can be fun, different can be fun. Sometimes, better is less fun. Same thing as building a modern rigid, or similiar. And when there’s absolutely no downside to you if someone else does it and likes it, what’s the issue? (these things are always more offensive when someone else is having more fun than you)

flange
    Free Member

Have you ridden procore, or just basing you opinion on what you have read on the interweb?

I’d say its very much the latter – keyboard warrior springs to mind…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘Are we going to see a 3" tyre craze (that requires new frame, fork and wheels)?’ is closed to new replies.