• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are we Europe?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

If anyone is intereseted I’ve come across a new online puiblication called ‘Are We Europe’. It is a non-profit media collective founded by and for young European to provide a platform for European journalists and creative individuals to portray the Europe they know and live in.

It’s interesting so if anyone is interested you can find the magazine here:

https://magazine.areweeurope.com/

I found out about it because they approached me to see if they could publish some of my photography work that fitted thematically with the magazine, which was very exciting as this is the first time my work has been published and that I’ve been paid for it!

The link to that section is here:

https://magazine.areweeurope.com/silentrevolutions/stories/greg-turner-transformations

The general website is here:

https://www.areweeurope.com/about/

weeksy

We’re not Europe. I’m going to France and Germany next weekend, they’re both Europe

CountZero

We might have been part of it during the last ice age, but that was a while back. To say we’re Europe is a bit like saying Madagascar is Africa or Ceylon is India.

perchypanther
    Free Member

We are barely Britain. Being Europe is a bit of a stretch at this point.

SaxonRider

No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

Both weeksy and CountZero are wrong! Europe as an idea is denoted by those lands that inherit the Roman idea. (This, whether one is interested in religion or not, also includes having been part of ‘Christendom’.)

And before you object and say that most of North Africa would be Europe by that definition, it may retain a residual Romanitas, but it fell out of the Roman sphere in the seventh century.

zippykona

Would you rather

A. Stroke a dog

B. Eat a dog.

If  A ,  you are European

If B ,  you are not.

funkmasterp

C – complain about dog owners and how they’ve ruined everything.

You’re British!

tonyg2003

Of course we are Europe ….

zippykona

Funky,  very true!

kerley
    Free Member

We are not worthy of being in Europe, UK is a fuckng horrible country these days – they are lucky to be rid of us.

Edukator
    Free Member

Great pics, Greg. I’ve previously been critical of your fascination with things decrepit but the young people here are hope in their (still somewhat bleak) world.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We are not worthy of being in Europe, UK is a fuckng horrible country these days – they are lucky to be rid of us.

Why’s that then? Has being in the EU for so long not helped?

ads678

We were Europe. I wish we still were…..

beej

Like Edukator, I followed the link to your pics – a really interesting and worthwhile project, kudos.

jimjam
    Free Member

Hello. Ireland here. Definitely Europe, just with worse weather. Hope you enjoy your freedom. Sorry to hear you’re all racists now.

yiman
    Free Member

Hello. Ireland here. Definitely Europe, just with worse weather. Hope you enjoy your freedom. Sorry to hear you’re all racists now.

52% of “us” at least.

bsims
    Free Member

We might have been part of it during the last ice age, but that was a while back. To say we’re Europe is a bit like saying Madagascar is Africa or Ceylon is India.

We are connected by continental shelf to Europe.  Madagascar is part of Africa as a political grouping and Sri Lanka (Ceylon) is almost joined to India, it was until the 1400s!

Its strange how we define links. We use cultural, political and geographical to suit ourselves and our arguments at the time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Are we Europe?’ is closed to new replies.