Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Are tubeless tyres worth it?
  • lpayne89
    Free Member

Hi guys, the trail in which I commute to work has recently been covered in fallen debris from the over hanging trees and I am thinking it is only a matter of time before my hybrid gets a puncture.

So I would like to know if the more experienced on here would recommend tubeless tyres or maybe just a chunkier tyre?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

thepodge
    Free Member

I just converted my rear wheel to tubeless in similar time it would have taken me to repair the puncture.

I flippin’ love tubeless.

mildbore

Yes. Next.
    Slightly less snotty answer is definitely, especially if puncture protection on your commute is the main reason, tubeless (almost completely) consigns punctures to the dustbin of history, a real bonus for commuting

scruff
    Free Member

Yes, especially for commuting. You might need to pump them up every week though.

mjsmke

As above it can be very quick to set up and change tyres. Once you have set up a few it really is easy. I’m amazed at how many punctures i would have had (i can see lots of small patches of sealant on the outside of my tyres after a ride.)

damascus
    Free Member

Mountain bike = yes.

Road bike? Jury is still out

reggiegasket
    Free Member

bikes = yes

wheelbarrow? Jury still out

IdleJon

I changed to tubeless a few weeks ago. DT Swiss tubeless ready wheels and HR2 tyres, using a Joes tubeless kit. It was a complete faff because of the kit. In the end I took it to a shop where a friend works – he said it was the hardest set-up he’d ever done.

I’ll use different valves etc next time so hopefully it will be easier.

But…jinxing myself now….no punctures yet. But only three rides on that bike. 🙁

mildbore

There is inevitably a bit of a learning curve initially but once over that it’s easier than using tubes as Podge says. Tubeless tyres, rims etc are better these days too so make it easier

PJM1974
    Free Member

You can always switch to Slime tubes or you could fill your existing tubes with Stan’s sealant which will achieve the same result but without the hassle of getting a thin tyre to seal.

thepodge
    Free Member

Basically, would you prefer to do all your tyre maintenance in the warmth of your own home whenever you feel like it or would you prefer to do it in the rain on the way to work?

To be fair the wheel I converted today has a tubeless rim and I have access to work’s compressor but still, its not hard and my LBS did my first set for something like £7 a wheel, you’d struggle to get valves for that.

PJM1974 – or you could fill your existing tubes with Stan’s sealant which will achieve the same result but without the hassle of getting a thin tyre to seal.

I thought that didn’t work

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Are tubeless tyres worth it?’ is closed to new replies.