Are trolls really dead?

Home Forum Chat Forum Are trolls really dead?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Are trolls really dead?
  • Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

What diameter troll & is the lever bar mounted?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

there’s a few more subtler ones about.

the ‘big hitters argue’ thread derailment of old has stopped though.

Elfin trolls himself on facebook now.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_cy4fricLU[/video]

zangolin

Still plenty in the remote parts of Norway.

daftvader

What tyres/wheels size for a troll?

Premier Icon piedi di formaggio
    Subscriber

Here’s a bike related troll for you

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/troll

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

I think there was one seen on Mam Tor recently – actually, I take that back; was thinking of K Scout ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Seems like we’re not seeing enough of them these days.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

26 inch trolls are dead.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

The Mandela post had to be a troll. Why would you make yourself look that stupid without having a Google first?

A quick whiz through the thread shows the OP never returned with further questions. Easist way to spot a troll.

Naturally STWers lapped it up to show their political savvy.

wordnumb

Why would you make yourself look that stupid without having a Google first?

Should be written in bold text at the top of every forum on the internet.

Trolling isn’t edgy anymore, once the BBC started running reports about the phenomena it suddenly looked like a lazy attempt to recreate Beadle’s About.

fasthaggis

If trolls really are dead ,then there are some mind numbingly stupid posters that have taken their place. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

Trolling isn’t edgy anymore, once the BBC started running reports about the phenomena it suddenly looked like a lazy attempt to recreate Beadle’s About.

No, the BBC reports ARE a massive troll, as they misuse the word and I’m always 4 paragraphs into a massive rant before I realise what’s happened. They use to describe online bullying/stalking. Troll is aimed at a community, not an individual. The moment you start to target an individual you step outside trolling. Richard Bacon doesn’t ‘have’ a troll, this perpetuated ignorance just because the word sounds good – AHHHHH… nope its happened again hasn’t it.

#see what I mean

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I’m with unklehomered – troll has become a term for an online attack/abuse whereas a proper troll is just deliberately derailing a thread/discussion.

I think we need a new word for the latter.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I’m with unklehomered – troll has become a term for an online attack/abuse whereas a proper troll is just deliberately derailing a thread/discussion.

I can think of on it handily starts with T

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Nope – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-obesity-really-a-disease

Although Junkyard should really know better.

*Considers starting a thread about appropriate names for the travelleing community.

wordnumb

No, the BBC reports ARE a massive troll…

True, but perhaps they dissuade trolling by reducing the ‘art’ to simple bullying by association.

Bacon Troll.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

ASS. Abject **** stirrer.

Don’t think “Assing” would be something desired as a label.

camo16

On STW there seem to be less trolls around… but there’s also less interesting threads. So, maybe a few trolls are a necessary evil.

I’d fill the gap, but I can’t seem to work up enough sustained irrationality. ๐Ÿ™

I’m sure some of you lot could do better. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

See I’m not sure the STW definition of “trolling” really counts, certainly not in the BBC sense, they seem to consider a “Troll” someone who spends their time badmouthing dead children or soldiers on Facebook or doing their damndest to torment emotionally vulnerable people via the interwebz, which IMO sounds about the right description.

STW’s definition of a “Troll” is anyone who starts a thread on 650b wheels or the relative merits of helmet use, or generally sets out to dissagree with the accepted wisdom of the STW “Hive Mind” on any given topic, normally arses, happy to offend the (rather thin skinned) users of this forum, but I don’t think they would even register on the Beebs “trollometer” scale. Our online bullys ain’t “proper” online bullys here I’m affraid.

The odd off topic debates that get a bit heated on here are still relatively mild and pretty tightly policed IMO compared to some sites…

troll has become a term for an online attack/abuse whereas a proper troll is just deliberately derailing a thread/discussion.

I think the latter might already be quite accurately described by the term “Keyboard Warrior”…

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

seems to reflect the changing use of the term in recent times.

slackalice

STW’s definition of a “Troll” is anyone who starts a thread on 650b wheels or the relative merits of helmet use, or generally sets out to dissagree with the accepted wisdom dogma of the STW “Hive Mind” on any given topic.

This.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

It’s worth noting that many STW users do probably drift in and out of the “troll” / “keyboard warrior” category on occasion and depending on the topic.

I’m sure I’ve gotten to that point before simply by having a strong reaction to a topic or other users comments, or conversely, failing to take other posters and their opinions seriously, I’ll hold my hands up to it, but then upsetting an STW user isn’t all that hard…

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

wwaswas – Member

How about a really bad word?

I propose – derailleur!

(single speed snicker) ๐Ÿ™‚

CountZero

How about a really bad word?

I propose – derailleur!

(single speed snicker)
    ๐Ÿ˜†

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

“I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn’t it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft… As for me, give me a fixed gear!”

Henri Desgrange 1902

Cheers

Danny B

dabble

those plasticine people look almost life like

Mr Woppit

I’m one, apparently, and very nearly dead. Apparently… ๐Ÿ™„

brakes

I’ve just realised, in August, I will have been on this website for 10 years.
    will I get long service award? or should I be publicly flogged for such a misdemeanor?

maxtorque

Why is that bloke from “The Office” being chased by trolls??

(referencing first pic posted in this thread way back in post #4)

Toasty

Post another thread about a fantastic new Apple product and I’ll be out from under my bridge in seconds.

IanW

Seems a troll is anyone called one by someone they disagre with, an easy accusation for those desperate to win a online debate.

It was rolled out recently by a journalist for our local rag after he got mullered in a online debate, obviously didn’t like a two way discussion.

maxtorque

If two trolls are having an argument, does one still call the other a troll when they disagree??

CountZero

If a troll falls in a forest, would anybody hear it grunt?

piemonster

If a troll falls in a forest, would anybody hear it grunt?

๐Ÿ˜†

Premier Icon joat
    Subscriber

Best not mention the ‘R’ word, lest somebody gets offended. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

piemonster

Rabelaisian?

piemonster

racemiferous?

piemonster

rampallian?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Are trolls really dead?’ is closed to new replies.