• This topic has 35 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Are those cordless vacuum cleaners any good?
  • andybrad

Looking at getting one of those vax ones ( Dyson too expensive)

Any good or pain in the bum ?

wallop

I’m well chuffed with my Vax!

chrisdw
    Free Member

Other STW threads

Check some of these out

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Saccades
    Free Member

We bought a Dyson V6 in a sale, I thought it was a flight of fancy by the wife but indulged her as she wouldn’t stop going on about it.

I’m impressed. Battery only last 15-20 mins but that’s enough for half the house (3 bed semi d). The best thing is it’s so light the kids at 11 & 8 can clean up, stairs too.

Dad bought the V8 which is easier to clean/dump muck out of.

The spinner doofah gets a kicking on rough tiled floors, but is easy to source and replace.

bruneep

Mrsb has the vax blade 2, she really likes it

andrewh
    Free Member

Got a dyson one. Hate it.
    Battery life far far too short for a two bed flat and nowhere near enough power to get the crumbs out the gaps between kitchen floorboards. Avoid.
    Corded Electrolux is much much better.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

We got the gtech power £199 seems to be very good

matt_outandabout

I’m sure they’re great.
    I’m appreciative of the couple who sold us a year old Dyson plug in machine for £50 as they had spent £300 on a battery one.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have a dyson v8 and I can do the vast majority of a 4 bed with it and it takes no time, amazed me how much time a cable one takes to get going and with babies and cleaning some floors twice a day the time is a major factor.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m really quite impressed with the £35 bare 18v Makita hoover I bought last week obviously you need to have a Makita infrastructure for it make economic sense. Great for cleaning up after the dog on our wood floors.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I have a Bosch 26v one for 3 years. It started off great then slowly lost power at around 2 year old. So I stripped it down and found the motor comm completely black. Also did a test of batteries and they were all around 1.8a each. Managed to clean the comm and its been good until now, so another comm clean due.
    When it totally breaks then because its so light and easy to use another cordless will be purchased.
    As for cleaning then a Henry was used for the full clean and the Bosch just for a run over clean.
    Yesterday I purchased a Shark corded lift away cleaner and on its first run I had a full container of dust.
    Verdict is the Bosch is crap, Henry is almost as crap and the Shark is excellent.

RoterStern
    Free Member

We had a Dyson V6 which was OK but not great. It would pick up dog hair but nothing solid like a peanut for example. It developed a battery problem after a year and we were able to upgrade under warranty to a V10. It’s like day and night. It’s powerful enough that it will pick up rugs and the battery life is much better. It’ll do 20 minutes on full power. The price is a bit eye watering though.

breadcrumb

We got a V8 from the eBay Dyson outlet store. We think it’s brilliant. Around 20 minutes running time so can’t do the full house in one hit but good for just keeping on top of it. The fact it’s just grab and go makes it so convenient compared to dragging out the corded cleaner.

Good for nipping out to the car with too.

andrewreay

Dyson ones are ok to start with, but the batteries just don’t last.

When they go, shockingly you can’t buy replacements (not official ones anyway) so you have to buy a whole new unit, which will doubtless have increased massively in price since you bought the last one.

Won’t touch Dyson again.

Have a serious problem with the eco ethics of this approach.

dorsetknob
    Free Member

Have a Dyson from the eBay reconditioned Dyson store V6 great use the max button on the back and ample power. Just over a year old battery was loosing a bit of life phoned Dyson and replacement turned up next day FOC can’t grumble at that.

nickjb
    Free Member

Our Dyson has been great. Works as well as a upright but way more convenient. You should get the same convenience with another brand so should be worth it as long as it functions ok.

FuzzyWuzzy

Dyson ones are ok to start with, but the batteries just don’t last.

When they go, shockingly you can’t buy replacements (not official ones anyway) so you have to buy a whole new unit, which will doubtless have increased massively in price since you bought the last one.

Not been my experience – my v6 battery lasted around 3 years (always run in turbo mode to), I’m sure when I went to buy a replacement there was an official Dyson option available but I ended up getting an unbranded one from Amazon (that had good reviews). It last fine for the 18 months I had it before giving the Dyson away when I bought my v10.

DrJ

Much as I think Dyson is a turd, from reviews it seems unanimous that the V10 is the most powerful of these “hoovers”, so I may reluctantly buy one 🙁 There’s principles, and there’s dust – think of me as the DUP of housework.

johndoh
    Free Member

We have a Dyson too – I am astounded at how well it picks up. And I don’t mean the visible stuff, I mean the really fine dust that gets trapped in carpets – no matter how much I vacuum, when I do it again it still manages to pick up more.

BigJohn

We have a Shark (twin battery) and as a result we have given away our corded Dyson as it never got used again.

andybrad

all very nice these v10 and shark things but im looking around the 100 quid mark.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Shark have offers on at the moment on corded and cordless cleaners.
    Mine had around £140 off with free tools and a 5year guanantee plus next day delivery.

DezB
    Free Member

Much as I don’t wish to get involved on another vacuum cleaner thread (I’m bored) – so OP says “Dyson too expensive” and there’s a big thread about what a **** Dyson is and yet
    Dyson Dyson Dyson…
    jeez.
    Anyway, £100 cordless are utterly crap. Get a wired Shark and forget about those crappy battery ones. I have a tiny house, but cant’ do the whole thing in 20MINS!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m not a Dyson fan generally but we got a recon V8 from Dyson and I have to say it’s very good. Cordless makes a lot of sense and you’ll find yourself grabbing it for a quick clean much more often than with a corded machine – it’s odd but good.

Wish it held a bit more crap but generally it’s been very good.

nickjb
    Free Member

Dyson Dyson Dyson…
    jeez.

The question was “Are those cordless vacuum cleaners any good?”, to which the answer is Yes, a cordless Dyson v8 or v10 is very good; it can happily replace an upright and its much more convenient. The supplementary bit about Dyson being expensive and wanting a cheap one is harder to answer. You get the convenience but if the pick up isn’t there then its a waste of money really (unless they are just as good, but I doubt it). Maybe useful as an additional machine to a corded but then that can be just as much money as buying the Dyson.

DezB
    Free Member

No, here’s the question:
    “Looking at getting one of those vax ones ( Dyson too expensive)
    Any good or pain in the bum ?”

Which is asking whether Vax cordless cleaners are any good. I tend to read more than just the subject line before replying.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Actually reading the post before replying with relevant information? That’s not very STW now is it?
    😉

Sidney
    Free Member

Dyson V8 here. Works well but two potential issues. I occasionally get static from the handle when using which can be annoying. Also struggles on thick carpet, the powered head stops rotating. Have to use on lower power mode. Battery was starting to go and even though was out of warranty by a few months sent a new battery free of charge.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Got one of the refurbished vax ones (£99.99 on ebay) and it’s wonderful…

Where before vacumning was a joyless task, now I skip around like Julie Andrews in fresh alpine meadows.

Seriously though, they are a vast improvement on bulky corded antiques; so long suckas!!

The brush has a seperate switch and is really quite something; reckon it could eat a plate of spaghetti quicker than a hungry whale and certainly leave less mess.

Regarding charge, if worst comes to worst and it’s not enough to do the whole house in a oner, just develop your strategy accordingly and spread the cleaning over a few days like a leisurely holiday.

In summary, a worthwhile investment.

olly2097
    Free Member

V6 animal here.

Great on carpet. Rubbish on laminate and tiles. Really poor. Can’t pick up anything as it just spins it round and spits it out.

Battery died. Bought a cheap one on Amazon.
    Motor died. Was replaced under warranty.

Wouldn’t have another

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Bought a cheapo Hoover branded one. Worked OK but tended to “flick” the bits backwards and not always suck them up. I did find that when it worked, it was handy to just run over the kitchen after the kids had thrown their dinner everywhere, just not exactly brilliant. Was only $100 though. A friend had an older Dyson which seemed to last 5 minutes use but I’m guessing the newer ones are better? If they are I’d consider one, I just don’t like the plastic Dyson use, feels cheap and brittle like it wouldn’t last if it was knocked over?

Those twin battery Sharks sound good. I’ll no doubt look at some real world youtube vacuum reviews. Rock n roll Wednesday!

molgrips
    Free Member

I tried them all a shop. The cheap ones were a bit underwhelming, the Dyson cheaper ones were better, but the V10 – flippin eck. Probably more powerful than our plug in one.

simonloco
    Free Member

HAve a bac one on the shop, it’s ok it not great on heavier soiling.
    Would prefer a Henry as we’ve got at home.
    In laws have adyson one that’s better but short battery life.
    They just feel a bit disposable really imo

tdog
    Free Member

Dyson battery lasts all of about 25 mins on standard charge. Lord only knows what it would be like on Turbo Super Trooper mode!

granny_ring

Bit the bullet and bought the V10.
    Didn’t want to spend 500 notes on a chuffing hoover really but did.
    It’s very good even if I had to admit defeat with the other half in getting it. Is it worth all that money. No, but would I be without it now? No.
    Only lasts around 7 mins on turbo mind but the middle setting is what’s used mostly on tbough and that’s a good half hour or more.

lunge

I’ve got a Morphy Richards one. It’s terrible, I’m sure others aren’t but the one I have is useless.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Are those cordless vacuum cleaners any good?’ is closed to new replies.