• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by devs.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Are there midges in Wales?
  • piemann
    Free Member

Going to Wales this weekend to do the Marin and Penmachno trails. How bad will the midges (or equivalent biting insects) be at this time of year? I
    get royally feasted upon pretty much everywhere I go, so I was just wondering what insects will have the pleasure of my blood in Wales…..

mtbfix

Midges. If the day has a 'y' in it then they'll be there.

glenp
    Free Member

No. And it never rains.

Davros23
    Free Member

Horrible little feckers. And I always get more bites than everyone else put together… 🙁

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Take mtbfix with you, I have never been bitten by a midge if he is around

pantsonfire
    Free Member

There never used to be biting midges in Wales but know whilst not as bad as Scotland the little biting custards are just waiting for some nice soft English flesh to gorge on. Usually me I am still scratching from the weekend.

Potter
    Free Member

went to afan for a week last year and got absolutely ravaged by them, just take some spray you`ll be sweet penmachno is amazing,hopefully going myself sunday

alexxx
    Free Member

Try living with lake district midges all your life, oh dear ive got a flat tyre oh no ive had my face eaten by midges.. scotland and wales midges together dont even match them

shortcut

try avon skin so soft. that will keep the litte feckers off!

And yes, there are midges etc. in wales and in does rain contrary to popular internet wisdom!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

The taffy midges got me in Betwsy the other week. Not as bad as the f*ckers in NZ though….

pitcherpro
    Free Member

The little buggers tend to like my arms and legs !! got nibbled loads at the marin last month and at brenin on sat …….enjoy the riding 😉

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

No just short shifty looking men with sallow features, usually accomapanied by a fat missus and several sprogs.

AndyP
    Free Member

no midges, no rain, no inbreeding.
    oh, hang on. I got that all wrong..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes and they bite, but 2-3 orders of magnitude fewer than in the Highlands.

BlingBling
    Free Member

They're Welsh midges FFS so as long as you haven't had any alcohol for the past few days they wont even look at you 😉

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yes there is! I line in North Wales and ride both the Marin and the Penmachno very regularly. Those two places are horrendous for bidges a the moment, They literally chase you into your car at Penmachno carpark. I flatted on the dragons back at the marin the other work, and was stationary for a good 10 mins whilst I reapired it, I do not exagerate when I say I must have been bitten 30 or 40 times. SO take some bug spray

druidh
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

Yes and they bite, but 2-3 orders of magnitude fewer than in the Highlands.

I concur

devs
    Free Member

None today on either trail.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Are there midges in Wales?’ is closed to new replies.