Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are there grips that 'extend' your bar width?
  • Mintyjim

Just looking to increase the width slightly on my bargain Easton carbon 35 bars.
    Any suggestions?
    Cheers

Trimix
    Free Member

Why not just buy some wider bars, not new ones, cheap ones off EBay. Probably cheaper than new grips.

qwerty
    Free Member

Lock ons with a single inner clamp only could do this, look at DMR Death Grips.

I can’t see much issue with 5mm or maybe 1cm, i’d probably draw the line if your talking in inch’s!!!!!!!!

wl
    Free Member

Been using Specialized grips with only an inner lock ring to achieve exactly this. Probably added around 5-10mm on either end, with no issues in 18 months. Just make sure you tighten them enough!

Gotama
    Free Member

Ergon GE something or other (the enduro ones!) add about 5mm to each side due their shape. I like them.

trailwagger
    Free Member
    chiefgrooveguru

DMR Deathgrips when installed correctly add 5mm on each end. And if you don’t like having your hand over the locking collar on double clamp grips then they’re adding more like 10mm on each end, so 20mm total.

I think one of the Specialized grips adds even more, again with correct installation…

Stevet1
    Free Member

what’s the correct installation for a set of lock on grips? Surely you just whack them on until they hit the end of the bar then tighten up the collar(s)? Are the DMR’s different? – genuine question.

honourablegeorge

As above, Ergons or Deathgrips.

Deathgrips are also probably the best grips I’ve ever used too, which is handy.

BearBack
    Free Member

Ive run inner only clamp.lock.ons at 5-10mm over the end of the bar but a clipped tree broke the plastic sleeve.

Sushi grips will add 35mm each side,but I’m skeptical about the strength aspect as I feel I ride bar heavy with my weight through the outer part of my hand.. a big compression through the fork and I’m not confident the nylon core would be anywhere near as strong as a bar.

kimbers
    Mintyjim

Thanks all, I like the sound of death grips! Plus I rather like the idea of only one clamp.

mattyfez

Santa cruz palm dales do, nice grips, I like them good rubber compound .. only extend a little bit as they are single lock ring that’s tapered internally. Worth a consideration.

chakaping
    Free Member

You will get a tiny bit extra each end with the Deathgrips, and more importantly they’re brilliant.

How much were you hoping for?

sillyoldman

PRO single collar lock-ons and Santa Cruz lock-ons both add noticeable width – use each for that very reason on a couple of bikes.

mattyfez

I was a little bit cheeky with my SC palmdales, they extend a bit due to design, but I moved them out about 5mm further each side to make a bigger difference, they hold up fine.

mattyfez

what’s the correct installation for a set of lock on grips? Surely you just whack them on until they hit the end of the bar then tighten up the collar(s)? Are the DMR’s different? – genuine question.

The single lock santa cruz I have get narrower internally, so you can just slide them on until there’s a bit of resistance and tighten the bolt, or you can push them on a bit harder to make the overall bar width a bit narrower.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Are there grips that 'extend' your bar width?’ is closed to new replies.