Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Are there any mtb coaches who can teach an autistic adult some skills?
  • aweeshoe
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good coach near Edinburgh, who has the patience of a saint and good communication skills? It’s to teach an autistic adult who has neither to ride

cdoc
    Free Member

Yes, me. But I am bloody miles away.
    However, there must be others!

Have a look around for wheels for all / bikes for all groups run in association with Cycling UK or Cycling Projects UK or FABB Scotland and ask about.
    Some of their coaches will be Cycle Leader trained and may be interested.
    They should all be listed on the Cycling UK website. https://cycling.org.uk/wheels-for-all

These sessions are an ideal and safe way for anyone to begin cycling, generally with excellent tuition from cyclists who often have strong links with the care sector, as they are geared toward full access, regardless of age or ability.
    Not all will have a full on mtb trail leader on hand, but some will, as it is a wonderful place to work and tends to attract two wheel fanatics (I’m guilty, but then, who wants a real job)?
    It is also a good way to get decent training without having to pay one to one mtb instructor prices.

Just to say, we had a young lad in a similar situation come to us through a day service. He couldn’t ride at all. We had him confident on two wheels in three sessions. That was six months ago, now he has started as a volunteer with us and has mastered skids, bunnyhops and last week, his first proper endo!

Good luck!

Poopscoop

^^ Got to love this forum.👍👍

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Thanks @cdoc, that’s very helpful as I’ve not found any myself that can offer coaching to autistic adults. I’ll give them a call to see what they can offer me. I’m keen to improve but I’ve hit a wall (tree) in my progress

cdoc
    Free Member

Well if you ever find yourself in the North West of England, around Calderdale or North Manchester give us a shout! We don’t have many trees on the moors either!

aweeshoe
    Free Member

I might do @cdoc! It’s gorgeous area and I know a few people around there. I used to work at HAPPA just outside Burnley and lived in Clitheroe for a while. I remember riding down Pendle 😮 thankfully I got a lift up, I probably should have got one back down too 😂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Get in touch with Andy at Ridelines. A great coach and top man.

DickBarton

@mattoutandabout perhaps?
    Clearly I’ve got his username wrong! MATT!

BikePawl
    Free Member

You should contact David Glover who runs the Edinburgh All Ability Bike club, contact details at the bottom of this page https://www.cyclinguk.org/blog/davidglover/edinburgh-abc-first-riders

macramsay
    Free Member

I’d be up to the task, for sure! TrailCoach.co.uk

Drop me an email: info@trailcoach.co.uk

franksinatra

DMBinS in Tweed Valley recently used local guys to runs an excellent, innovative project to support client with mental health problems to get out mountain biking.

http://www.dmbins.com/riders/news/can-mountain-biking-support-good-mental-health

Although not directly relevant it does show that there are local guides with the patience and skills required to work with different client groups. It might be worth getting in touch with Graeme McLean to have a chat.

andybrad

whoosh would be pretty good shout around calderdale but its a drive.

cdoc
    Free Member

+1 for Dave Glover. Nice bloke with lots of contacts that may be of use. He helped start a W4A group in Edinburgh a while back, so is pretty local.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Thank you for all of your suggestions, they’re much more helpful than Google. Ta 🙂

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Sorry I’ve not been in touch with those suggested. I’ve had a knock to my confidence and wondering if it’s the sport for me

tjagain

Why not? Its just riding bikes in the big outdoors. If you enjoy it do it.

franksinatra

The great thing about cycling is it’s so progressive, a gentle pootle along a quiet road can be just as rewarding as ragging down a step trail. Aim low, enjoy riding and see where it takes you in time.

poly
    Free Member

Sorry I’ve not been in touch with those suggested. I’ve had a knock to my confidence and wondering if it’s the sport for me

I’d drop Simon at WheelSkills an email. He’s on the doorstep, works with a wide variety of bike disciplines and really flexible on how he works.

https://www.wheel-skills.co.uk

He recognises that confidence is important rather than being all about performance.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Maybe to start with you just need somebody to ride with and give you some encouragement and a reason to go out. I’m pretty easy going if you want some company and I know plenty of places around Edinburgh and Midlothian for all levels. If you’re up for it send me a message.

tjagain

I know steven from outside here and thats a fine offer. I’ll add in that if you wanted a slow old duffer along I’d join in 🙂

onehundredthidiot

To be fair Steven is pretty easy going having ridden with him a few times and shared the odd bramble whisky.

granny_ring

OP, try going out for some easy rides with the guys that have offered here.
    Then take it from there if you want more coaching.
    Think you will enjoy it. 👍

joshvegas
    Free Member

This sounds like a superchill STW ride in the Edinburgh area.

I’m a maybe.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

@stevenmenmuir @tjagain and @joshvegas Thanks guys, I’d really like that and I greatly appreciate the offer. I’ll see if I can arrange some kid free time and I’ll be in touch 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

As a fellow parent and one that feels at times that I’m getting by on luck alone, helping you to be a better rider should be a doddle.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Excellent! You’ve got the right credentials and I like your optimism, parenting will be a breeze after you’ve met me 😂

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have no kids.

The service i shall provide is making you feel like a riding god/godess by falling off repeatedly.

tjagain

I’ll just stand in the corner not making eye contact and feeling awkward 🙂

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Sorted, you’ve got all the skills and traits covered. I’m looking forward to this 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My other half has just raised her eyebrows at “patience of a saint”.

aweeshoe
    Free Member

Lol, you’ll survive with the patience of an exhausted parent

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

I know it’s not Edinburgh, but I’ve just had a 121 with Anthony g laycy , Trail Motions in Gisburn forest and I’m an autistic adult, he explained everything in a way I could understand and I came away being able to do stuff I couldn’t before :).
    Caz xx

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Are there any mtb coaches who can teach an autistic adult some skills?’ is closed to new replies.