• This topic has 32 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Leku.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Are there any FS 26" frame only manufacturers left? And not new old stock.
  • Leku
    Free Member

Just academic interest at present. As a replacement for a (small) Yeti 5 (140mm fork).

Only one I can see is Liteville 301 (but £2000 for just the frame..)

http://www.liteville.de/t/25_29.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    jam-bo
    suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Ventana…

Home

euain

Pivot Mach 5.7 and maybe some others – Pivot Bikes

Leku
    Free Member

http://www.ventanausa.com/bikes/el-ciclon/
    £1700 mmm

Looks like I’ll need to budget an extra £500 for 650B wheels and forks.

wrecker
    Free Member

Transition suppressor?

wrecker
    Free Member

Sorry just read the 140mm fork. I’ll replace that unsuitable suggestion with another (new/old) but manufacturer direct, well prices and looks fun too!
    http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=12501938

Leku
    Free Member

I think it will have to be ride my Yeti until it breaks then look for a 650B frame.

robdob
    Free Member

When you change your frame to a 650b all you will have to change (as long as you can get your current fork to fit) is the rims and tyres if moving from 26″. Probably a fraction of the whole cost if you’re buying a new FS frame!

teethgrinder

Spitfire? 26″ dropouts and can run 140-160mm fork.

bertmacklin
    Free Member

Knolly do the Endorphin in 26″. They don’t specify fork travel (although the build kits both include 150mm Fox Floats), but suggested fork length is 533mm.

Although Knolly are only sold direct from their distributor in the UK, and £1799.00 for frame and Fox CTD Kashima shock.

Leku
    Free Member

Good shout on the Spitfire.

johndb
    Free Member

Got a few Medium Endorphin frames left Leku – down to £1299 with Fox CTD shock (can also supply CC DBInLine and DBA-CS) – only have day glo yellow left now.
    140mm rear travel, perfect with a 150mm fork.

Knolly Endorphin

honourablegeorge

Not really 26″ in the traditional sense

Leku
    Free Member

In his defence a 26″ would fit..

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Pyga?

ctk
    Free Member

oldish stock but I would be all over the reduced Foes frames at Balfa

Foes

chambord
    Free Member

Would one die if a 26 inch wheel was put in a 650B frame?

jam-bo

Not really 26″ in the traditional sense

Shhh. I nearly got away with that….

hairyscary

Would one die if a 26 inch wheel was put in a 650B frame?

My mate has done it to try and replicate his downhill bike but with less travel. XL Nukeproof Mega TR 275 with 26″ wheels.

jedi

lots do 26/650 compatible. i’m looking at banshee and nicolai . love the pivot bikes but never see a 26 at shows anymore 🙁

drovercycles
    Free Member

Another vote for a Transition Suppressor. There must be others out there surely?

kelvin

Not really suitable, but the kona process 167 still tickles my fantasy bike urges. Not sure the promised frame option will ever get to the UK though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

robdob – Member
    When you change your frame to a 650b all you will have to change (as long as you can get your current fork to fit) is the rims and tyres if moving from 26″. Probably a fraction of the whole cost if you’re buying a new FS frame!

If keeping a 26″ fork, those wheels/tyres have to clear the fork, if you’re going for 650b wheels.

teethgrinder

I’m running 26″ in the Spitfire with 650b dropouts and I haven’t died yet. Oddly, there’s masses of mud clearance, but no mud ATM.

StuE
    Free Member
    MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I think Saracen are still doing the 26″ Ariel (14X) frame only I believe.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Looks like I’ll need to budget an extra £500 for 650B wheels and forks.

Why? El Ciclon is 26″ wheels

Leku
    Free Member

El Ciclon is a good option. The numbers are very similar to my Yeti.
    However it just doesn’t ring my bell. For £1700 I’d rather get a Bird Aeris, buy some new forks and rerim my wheels with LB carbon rims (and still save money).

jagertom
    Free Member

Get a spitfire, I have and it’s awesome. Plus if you ever want to change to these new-fangled 650b wheels, they’re just a dropout kit and fork away…

benpinnick

You could just buy a 650b frame and use that. The major difference will be BB height. If say you got an Aeris, in 140mm mode the BB height on a 26 wheel will be roughly the same as 650 wheel in 150mm mode (at full compression – within a few mm anyway – close enough that fork choice could erase the difference). So it would work fine in 140, although 150 would be sketchy but it would technically work. The tendency for long wheel bases on current bikes with long front ends means that the super short rear end doesn’t really work anyway as the balance of the bike is all wrong, so even though a 26 wheel could allow the rear to go shorter, you’re probably losing out rather than gaining if it did.

Just my thoughts as a lot of people do ask ‘can I run 26 wheels’ and this is what I tell them.

Leku
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. Still just academic interest at present. But the Bird with existing wheels looks good at the moment.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Are there any FS 26" frame only manufacturers left? And not new old stock.’ is closed to new replies.