Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Are there any bike shops AT ALL on the north west coast of scotland?
  • nikk
    Free Member

Just about to embark on a 10 day trip up the north west coast.

Can’t seem to find any bike shops on the route at all 🙁

Route is mtb + packraft. Morar, Knoydart, Letterfern, Applecross, Diabeag, Gairloch, Scoraig, Ullapool, Summer Isles, Lochinver, Kylestrom, Scourie, Kinlochberivie, Cape Wrath, Durness.

Failing that, are there any friendly locals with a toolbox in case I need something stupid that I am not willing to carry (like a BB wrench).

Leaving fri morning.

druidh
    Free Member

Nothing on that route. Northwest Outdoors in Ullapool would be worth contacting as, even if they don’t sell bike stuff, some of the staff might have access to tools etc.

user-removed
    Free Member

Portree on Skye has the only bike shop I know of, but that’s a long way off your route. Not jealous at all BTW.

youngrob

Morar and Knoydart in this weather will be fantastic. Have a great trip. Sorry, no idea about bike shops any closer than Fort William!

airbus387
    Free Member

lucky you.You will be in the best parts of scotland for the mtb,i live in scotland and head up that way when i can,But as far as bike shops go there none i know of.So i would take a small tool kit and some spokes and just hope no major mishaps become you.But just go and enjoy this fantastic area and the midges lol,And talking about the midges mind and take some avon skin so soft fantastic repellent for the midges hope you enjoy your trip 😀

theblackmount
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be concerning myself too much with all that – have you packed some Flares? 😉

nikk
    Free Member

have you packed some Flares?

No, just shorts and cycling over trousers.

Do I need to bring my flares as well? Is there a big 70s retro scene on the West Coast?

😀

Northwest Outdoors in Ullapool would be worth contacting

Thanks, noted!

Portree on Skye has the only bike shop I know of, but that’s a long way off your route.

Yeh, that is a bit far. Noted though, in case Something Stupid Happens™

i would take a small tool kit and some spokes and just hope no major mishaps become you.

Small tool kit – check.
    Spokes… hmm, I don’t have any :-/

PaulMcG

Sounds like a great trip/adventure in an utterly amazing part of the world.

If you get stuck in the Torridon/Sheildaig/Diabeg area, might be worth looking up the guys at the activities centre at the Torridon Hotel. They’ve got rental bikes for their clients I think, so may also have other useful stuff. Nice people too!.

Cheers

Paul

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Is there a big 70s retro scene on the West Coast?<

Funny you should say that…

You’ve clearly never been in any of the Ullapool pubs when the Klondyke boats are in 😉

nikk
    Free Member

Thanks Paul, Torridon Hotel is noted.

theblackmount – you haven’t seen my sideburns!

Well, that’s me off now…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Lucky chap, especially if the weather stays like this. You’re heading into a fantasic part of the world but, as others have mentioned, a complete desert as far as bike shops go. The nearest one I can think of is in the Tiso’s in Inverness.

nikk
    Free Member

Just back from the trip, it was amazing. Not a drop of rain for 9 days! 31 degrees one day, clear blue skys, sunshine. I feel so lucky. Photos etc soon.

Just to mention here, I saw a bike place in Durness, the “Bike Hub” http://www.developingdurness.org/Bike_Hub.html , in case anyone finds this thread and is looking for some help up there. Looks like an interesting project they have started and well worth supporting.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Sounds like a fantastic trip! A great part of the world! was in Torridon last week its really very good.

Looking forward to some pics? Do you have a blog?

nikk
    Free Member

Hey NorthCountryBoy – blog is at http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.com/ , no pics or anything about this trip ATM, but you can read and see previous adventures.

househusband

nikk – great blog; hopefully you’ll be writing up the trip you’ve described above..?

Funnily enough we were discussing your Fidra trip just yesterday as we rode along the beach opposite!

nikk
    Free Member

Yeh I’ll do a post on the trip, and hopefully video as well. Don’t hold your breath though, I can be slow with these things!

Glad to hear I am being talked about, all good I hope 🙂

sangobegger
    Free Member

Neil at the bikehub in Durness can sort you out if you need it. However, north of Ullapool, you’ll have to be pretty inventive to go offroad,(which should help reliability) and it’ll mean big detours.Square wheels in Strathpeffer or any LBS in Inverness is only a bus ride away on the bus route from Inverness to Durness, so you shouldn’t loose too much time to disasters

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Are there any bike shops AT ALL on the north west coast of scotland?’ is closed to new replies.