• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jd77.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Are there any actual performance differences between SLX and XT brakes?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m planning to upgrade the brakes on my bike and was originally planning to get the latest XT brakes. I then started to wonder about the SLX brakes as they’re a bit cheaper, with very few differences from what I can tell. They only seem to miss out on the free stroke adjustment, which appears to do naff all. Aside from this, are there any performance differences between the two?

Cheers

cp

they are otherwise effectively identical. XT pads are retained by a screw rather than split pin on SLX, but performance wise, nothing in it – same pistons, caliper casting etc…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheers for that…I think I read somewhere about the pad retention pin. Also read that the SL calipers are threaded, so you can fit an XT pin if you want.

The tart in me is saying go for the XT, whilst the tightwad is saying what’s the point.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

XT are bling covers, SLX plastic, XT have a bite (stroke) adjustment, SLX don’t. Exactly the same performance in reality.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

XT have a bite (stroke) adjustment, SLX don’t.

True, but it’s pointless, I’d liek to run my levers almost at the bars with minimum free-stroke. In reality they dont get as close tothe bars as i’d like and the free stroke minimum setting is average, does anyone actualy want more free stroke on anything other than C2’s?

Scamper
    Free Member

I have deore’s with XT discs and the only thing i don’t like is the retention split pin I prefer the less bling reservoir cover to that on the SLX/XT. Which then begs the question, is there any actual braking performance difference between deore and SLX?

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve just considered this and plumped for the SLX.

I have old XT on another bike and have never found that the bite adjustment does anything noticeable. As mentioned, changing the pin for the screw is possible. I think there are supposed to be marginal weight differences, but from what I could tell, there isn’t much in it. At the end of the day, I couldn’t justify the weight difference for the XT badge, although I tend to look at XT level bits.

Edit:- To respond to the above, the Deore is a chunk heavier but functionally similar. I’ve also just ordered Deore brakes for my wife’s bike as it seemed good value.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you bleed the brake with the free stroke screw screwed out then yes it does make a difference when you screw it back in. If you bleed them with it in then screwing it out seems to make less difference. That is what I have found anyway.

kayak23

just ordered Deore brakes for my wife’s bike as it seemed good value.

Fantastic value. Currently 42 quid an end at crc. Just fitted a pair to the hardtail. Great performance. 🙂

honourablegeorge

B.A.Nana – Member

XT are bling covers, SLX plastic

XT are horrible, bulbous fake chrome covers, SLX more subtle and matt finished. SLX look much better.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The saving would allow me to get some Goodridge too. Not going to bother with Ice Tech rotors as there aren’t that many alpine descents in his country. The SLX seem to be making the most sense at the moment.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you bleed the brake with the free stroke screw screwed out then yes it does make a difference when you screw it back in. If you bleed them with it in then screwing it out seems to make less difference. That is what I have found anyway.

I might try that, thanks.

Not going to bother with Ice Tech rotors as there aren’t that many alpine descents in this country

I’ve got them, I actualy think they make a subtle difference, and if nothing else they’re lighter.

brassneck

I have XT and will probably buy SLX for my other bike so they can all share pads.

EDIT – I don’t suppose any of those CRC Deores are the same pads?

Scamper
    Free Member

Don’t think the Deore’s can take the icetech pads.

jd77
    Free Member

The new deores take the same pads as the previous iteration of XT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Are there any actual performance differences between SLX and XT brakes?’ is closed to new replies.