Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Are the trails ruined yet? *Rain content*
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

20th October the day of the huge thunderstorm, the end of the balmy 18*c mild weather, and my first ride on the new bike, it ended in a mudfest with trails became more like raging torrents.

Since then its just not stopped raining. More rain in October than all of summer it feels like, I can only imagine what treats await me in the gloop department if I make it out later.

Any reports from the trailside, are they ruined yet?

jools182
    Free Member

I’m not even venturing out

Not sure if there are any hills left

mrmo
    Free Member

wait till either cold freezing weather, or mid march.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

crispy leaves under-tyre does sound appealing 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Stainburn is now a flat field 😯

letmetalktomark

Couldn’t be a nicer, dryer morning here in Suffolk.

Mid morning ride here I come.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Dry as a bone here… its only rained twice since April. 😆

roverpig

Rain doesn’t ruin trails, it makes them. Some of the most fun routes now are the paths that got washed away in the wet summer of 2012.

mrmo
    Free Member

Rain doesn’t ruin trails, it makes them. Some of the most fun routes now are the paths that got washed away in the wet summer of 2012.

rather depends on where you ride. rock holds up, loamy clay doesn’t!

cardo

Filth in the Chilterns! At least we did have a Summer this year.

roverpig

rather depends on where you ride. rock holds up, loamy clay doesn’t!

Surely it’s all rock if you go down far enough 🙂

But I take your point. I’m talking about riding on forestry commission land in Scotland. A bit of rain will help to cut through the peat to reveal the rock and you don’t need to worry about erosion when the FC will be along sooner or later to trash clear the whole lot anyway.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Are there people that don’t go out biking cos it’s been wet? Jeez.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Are there people that don’t go out biking cos it’s been wet? Jeez.

Yes there are people like that. We just used to stick to the Rocky trails though

beej

Surprisingly dry round Newbury way – I think the wind and vague warmth has kept them OK.

ratherbeintobago

SE Lancs trails are a mix of OK and 10cm deep sloppy mud full of hoof prints.

So, no change from usual (bar two months in the middle of the year).

zero-cool
    Free Member

To quote Sam Hill “I just ride it the same as if it was dry”.

vickypea
    Free Member

I rode round Macclesfield Forest and Cumberland brook this afternoon, very wet but no mud thanks to all the rock, so still very rideable.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve found that a bit o’ rain brings the trail alive

ratherbeintobago

I’ve found that a bit o’ rain brings the trail alive

I thought that was 650B wheels?

shortcut

Trails were buff all weekend. Bike not really needing a clean.

Yes I am UK based but not in the North and choosing my ride areas according to geology.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

didnt get chance to get out today, so gloopy nightride this week instead
    😆

Thanks for the trail reports!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I did the RATZ rampage in the checkendon in the chilterns last night.

Really really dry which I was totally surprised about, chilterns normally terrible in rain.

Like other posters mention I think a combination of the dry summer, warm autumn temperature and probably most importantly high wind speeds is helping dry things off quickly as protecting the trail some what.

However if it continues to rain this much it cant be log before there a total mud fest again.

Hopefully we’ll get into the cool crisp dry weather soon. Then it will suddenly switch from winter to a full on summer next spring 🙂 well I can hope !

asterix
    Free Member

Surely it’s all rock if you go down far enough

Well if you go far enough it’s metal (no really)

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I am old enough to remember the Summer of ’12 when the trails ran like waterfalls, and the roads ran like rivers. It’s hardly rained at all in comparison… not enough enough to wash away the storm debris yet.

martinhutch

Was out over the back of the south Dales yesterday. Bit splashy after the overnight storm, but I was surprised how decent nick the trails were. Hardly any mud on the grass bridleways. We need a quick freeze now to help protect them.

Still came home filthy, obviously, but the riding was great.

cardo

Despite my first post of it being filthy out there, we had a surprisingly dry ride and didn’t have to sit on newspaper in the pub. Biggest problem at the moment is some huge trees that have come down in the mega storm of last week blocking a few of the good trails.

yunki
    Free Member

I thought that was 650B wheels?

yes yes.. a bit o’ rain can bring any sized wheel alive

mrblobby
    Free Member

Surprisingly dry round Newbury way – I think the wind and vague warmth has kept them OK.

I suspect after last night that might no longer be the case! Brilliant timing too as I was going to take my new bike build for a spin around greenham tonight. Trails down here don’t seem to hold up that well when it gets stupidly wet 🙁

bigyinn
    Free Member

Wasn’t as bad as I expected yesterday, but you can see and feel that the slop is on the return. 😥

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Are the trails ruined yet? *Rain content*’ is closed to new replies.