Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are the Surrey hills rideable currently
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Or is it just not worth the effort? Was going to head up there tomorrow.

nuke

Yep, bit of a last minute decision but went out today…cycled out and made it up Holmbury and Leith. It was a slog but it was all rideable. The popular trails that I went on like Yogurt Pots, Telegraph and Summer Lightning were all good fun…snow was nicely packed down from previous riders.

Weirdly I didn’t see one other walker or rider in the 3 odd hours I was out….given the impending chaos of Christmas, this was a definitely a plus point 😉

However, some of the roads around Holmbury still look pretty covered although cars were getting through. Also, and it’s looking promising at the moment to stay solid, if it starts to melt, I seriously wouldn’t bother.

heihei

Mate James (JPCapel on here) was up around Leith Hill yesterday and looked to be having fun…..photos here…..

MTBR

And a video from Friday before the extra snow arrived….
    Snowy Video

atlaz
    Free Member

My friends parked in Westcott yesterday and rode Leith. Apparently a good time was had by all.

njee20
    Free Member

I rode up from Cranleigh yesterday, did Winterfold and Holmbury, the fireroads were a real slog, but the descents were all good fun, compacted and grippy.

Overall pace was pretty slow, and hard work, but a good laugh.

winterfold
    Free Member

Was up there yesterday (Monday), at dusk, definitely rideable, if a bit sketchy at times, particularly where frozen roots and drop-offs combine :oops:. I thought that fire roads were in much better nick than after the last snowy weekend, when it had thawed and refrozen and was horrible – still quite powdery.

Did Winterfold (Flicking the Vs), Pitch (trail that goes from Walking bottom to car park 2, T2, T5) and Holmbury (BKB).

The main thing I would be worried about would be parking. Walking Bottom is an ice-rink and the centre of Peaslake not great.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

rode Leith Hill on Sunday and it was great. Powdery snow everywhere and as winterfold says, much better than the slushy remnants previously seen.

PA’s at the Tower

Snowy trail

Approaching the Tower

lone rider in the snow

new trail discovered

nuke

PA’s at the Tower

…and another 😀

Telegraph Row looked lovely yesterday and rode well…

Top of Holmbury just as it started to snow again…

The thaw has started though 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are the Surrey hills rideable currently’ is closed to new replies.