• This topic has 39 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Are the Beeb sponsored….
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…by Berghaus?

Seems all the reports in bad weather reports have Berghaus tops on and then the bloke at the Olympics (bond?) was wearing one too. Very prominent product placement. I wonder how much they get for it?

Drac

Rab no wait North Face.

matt_outandabout

I think I am going to open a chain of outdoor cloting shops – all will be located directly opposite main BBC studio’s.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

It’s definitely a conspiracy.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dunno, but there’s a guy on Springwatch etc that loves his Fjallraven.
    Can’t say as I blame him mind, I love their kit too..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not up to the purple tie club conspiracy though – CMD was wearing his today knowing full well that salmond was not part of the hidden club!!!

wallop

It’s all TNF in the south west. If I remember correctly, they had to rein it in a bit a couple of years ago because the reporters were all wearing too many premium brands.

bearnecessities

I think the beeb got negative publicity a few years ago about the whole Berghaus thing. I don’t have any evidence to hand, because I don’t give a shit about most stuff, but there was definitely something kicking off about it.

HTH

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, just googled it!! Lots from 2011.

Very unsubtle product placement.

kimbers

the westfield centre next to the bbc has a jack wolfskin,ellis brigham and north face shops

im not sure they really sell berghaus?

maybe they got a job lot when millets went under?

kimbers

chris packham went through the last exit to knowhere t shirts a couple of series ago

Freester

Not sponsored.

They do get a VERY generous discount from Berghaus however.

Those peoples on the local news don’t get paid that much so they choose the best kit they can for the best price they can get. Hence mucho Berghaus.

The national people have a bit more dolla so if they want to look a bit different from their proletarian colleagues they can.

It’s all true. I knows it.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

in my previous job i sold a reasonable amount of outdoor kit to BBC people, including norrona, TNF and Rab. The shop is on the same road as the BBCs natural history department, and often people would come in saying they’re looking for kit to go to siberia/borneo/patagonia/east timor etc.

we offered a small discount to beeb staff, but no more than we did many other organisations.
    adam henson from countryfile once left his credit card in the shop so i chased after him to give it back 8)

jfletch
    Free Member

The Ben got a lot of stick for doing a deal with Kujs(sp?) for their uniforms in Vancouver. Think it was more of a “you scratch my back” type arrangement instead of sponsorship deal but the premium nature of the brand raised some eyebrows.

The BBCs reckoning was they were getting value for the money for the tax payer by getting such a big discount.

martinhutch

I used to work in one of the news departments at TV Centre alongside the correspondents who did pieces to camera. One day a giant box of top-of-the-range NF kit got carried in, and they fell upon it like hungry jackals.

I was told to keep my desk-bound mitts off it. 😥

footflaps

Bit like Police patrol cars, every so often one manufacturer wants some cheap publicity, so offers ridiculous discounts to Police forces. Years back Volvo did it with the T5 and more recently Skoda did it with the Octavia VRS.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Graham Bell and Claire Balding got a lot of stick last winter olys for wearing KJUS. That clothing brand is by far the most expensive out there, but hey they got theirs FOC just so it could be on telly in a “look at me” styleee.

Northwind

Haglofs seem to be doing pretty well on BBC Scotland

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Freester has it – big discount on Berghaus as corporate supplier.

Cougar

I’m not really sure what the alternative is. I mean, they’ve got to wear something, right? You don’t really expect the latest news reports from the Cornwall coast delivered by a man wearing a bin liner with a hole torn out for his head?

The only other option would be to cover up the branding, which to me just smacks of the old shows where they’d cover up names like “Heinz” so that you’d never know what products they were using. Pointless.

footflaps

You don’t really expect the latest news reports from the Cornwall coast delivered by a man wearing a bin liner with a hole torn out for his head?

Well I do….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cougs, I am just interested. Of course like any employee they should be correctly equipped for the job at hand. I am intrigued about (1) how it works – thanks for the answers above and (2) what if any conflicts of interest there may be given their stringent requirements not to promote other goods and services.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Weirdly the cover up the Apple logos on the laptops on Channel 4 news

kimbers

Good work BBC saving tax payers money !

jfletch
    Free Member

Probably because they had to pay for them!

CountZero

If the Beeb get offered a discount for a particular quality brand, for presenters who are going to be spending lots of time in crappy conditions, then great. I’ve noticed some presenters have personal preferences, Dr Alice Roberts likes Arcteyrx jackets, for example, as do a few others.
    And why not. 😀

BigJohn

I was on the set of a C4 drama series and all the crew were head to toe North Face. I think Julia Bradbury and a fellow presenter were told off for overdoing the rab jackets. Seems they insist on presenters wearing different brands.

riddoch

The countryfile lot do seem to rotate the brands quite a bit.
    I’m sure the went through a period of covering up brand labels with gaffa tape.

maccruiskeen

I was on the set of a C4 drama series and all the crew were head to toe North Face

Nobody pays to clothe the crew. You do see a lot of NF stuff behind the camera on shoots but thats probably because crews have to work outdoors but aren’t necessarily outdoorsy types. NF stuff is widely available on the high street rather than in hiking and camping stores, and its also generally quite casual in its styling compared to other brands and they also do a decently styled range for women, but most particularly the do a lot of stuff in black and crew need to try and not show up in reflections in windows when you’re shooting.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Lots of Berghaus tops on view tonight!

jambourgie
    Free Member

You don’t really expect the latest news reports from the Cornwall coast delivered by a man wearing a bin liner with a hole torn out for his head?

Well I do….

Me too. I’d buy a license for that.

I_Ache
    Free Member

jfletch – Member
    Probably because they had to pay for them!

Not entirely related but interestingly When the beeb rented stuff from us for a prime time BBC1 programme they didn’t cover up our branding at all. And it was in the main scene from the last episode of the series.

GrahamS

Graham Bell and Claire Balding got a lot of stick last winter olys for wearing KJUS

Seem to remember Graham Bell getting a bit of stick for prominently wearing lots of Nevica gear on Ski Sunday,

…right around the time he became a Brand Ambassador for Nevica.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

what is a “brand ambassador” – does it mean “sponsored”?

GrahamS

I believe it mainly entails eating Ferrero Rocher.

martinhutch

I thought Nevica was just a Sports Direct empty label like Karrimor now?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

what is a “brand ambassador” – does it mean “sponsored”?

Pretty much.

Interesting how much equipment branding they get away with at the winter
    Olympics. Compared to the sailing in summer where the boats are all white, how come they cant plaster the hull in Ovington or Devotti logos like the snowboards?

back2basics
    Free Member

whats the S logo that the beeb presenters are wearing in the olympics??

tang
    Free Member

Salomon?

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno about you lot, but if I see some nob journalist/presenter wearing a brand, it’s the last thing I’d go out and buy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Are the Beeb sponsored….’ is closed to new replies.