Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Are – sweden
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

Anyone been? – what’s it like? is it any good?

i’m just daydreaming of summer MOUNTAIN biking, and thinking of doing something a little different.

A friend of mine lives in gothenburg, but has never been further north than stockholm, i think it would be fun to have a look around this massive country…

i’m looking for singletrack, rather than Dh tracks.

GEDA
    Free Member

Its a long way away. Might snow in summer. I expect it does not have loads of old paths as it is not mountain pasture with little ancient villages like the Alps.

GEDA
    Free Member

But there is loads of nice singletrack where I live in Sweden. Skåne. Göteborg is meant to be good to. Try looking at some of the walking trails (Leden). They have shelters with water a wood every 10 km so you could do a really good trek without carrying loads of equipment.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Not ridden there but been twice – bro in laws and family live nr Stockholm.

It’s true – the women are STUNNING but booze is comically expensive.

darrell
    Free Member

Åre is great. Went last summer with the missus and dog. I live in south Norway and it took a couple of days to drive there. But compared to Norway booze is really cheap. There are loads of trails. and not just the ones up and down the mountain. If you drive out of town and head for some waymarked hiking trails there are some excellent day long routes

jemima
    Free Member

I’ve ridden DH at Åre and had a really good time. Nice mix of trails. Don’t know if there’s much in the way of natural single track tho.

mudmonster
    Free Member

If you buy drink from system bologet it’s not too expensive and normal strength.

Crell
    Free Member

There was a thread on here about it a while ago. I’ve been skiing there but the trails are marked and visible in winter. It did look more trail centre / DH orientated.

Have a google for “Bike Park” Are.

floki
    Free Member

Are is a really cool place to ride –

There’s a Swedish guy on another forum I use who posted some video of riding in Åre.
    http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21555

kamina
    Free Member

There’s a Swedish guy on another forum I use who posted some video of riding in Åre. http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21555

Any chance for a direct link to the video’s? Can’t be bothered to register to a forum just to view them. 🙂

kamina
    Free Member

Its a long way away. Might snow in summer. I expect it does not have loads of old paths as it is not mountain pasture with little ancient villages like the Alps.

Living in Finland I find that very unlikely.

edit: the snow that is

BruceWee

If you base yourself in Trondheim you’re about 2 hours drive from Åre and about an hour and a half from Oppdal (another bike park but also with decent singletrack). In addition there’s really good singletrack round about trondheim itself.

Dark-Side

Living in Finland I find that very unlikely.

edit: the snow that is

Agreed. Whereabouts in Suomi do live Kamina?

Sorry, didn’t realise it was in the members only section.
    It took me a while to workout how to unembed it. Try this.

kamina
    Free Member

Agreed. Whereabouts in Suomi do live Kamina?

Helsinki, Herttoniemenranta.

squealer
    Free Member

if you can read swedish this might help!

http://www.langloppscupen.com/start__1

i used to work over there in stockholm and there is some good riding you but need to research before you go.

GEDA
    Free Member

My cousin went to Finland and it snowed in the middle of summer. Maybe it was up North on the fells though .

Dark-Side

Helsinki, Herttoniemenranta.

Ah, ok. My brother and sister in law live in Espoo and Vantaa respectively. My In Laws live in Finnish Lapland – Rovaniemi and own quite a lot of forestry land further North. I am contemplating looking into running a 24hr race around mid Summer in Lapland. I think a 24hr race in 95% day light would be quite novel.

Sidney
    Free Member

I am contemplating looking into running a 24hr race around mid Summer in Lapland.

The mosquitos say please do!

Seriously, anything to put Suomi on the map is good in my books.

kamina
    Free Member

My cousin went to Finland and it snowed in the middle of summer. Maybe it was up North on the fells though .

Even for the northmost points in Lapland that sounds very strange. They have had some sub zero temps now during night time, but days are still well over freezing and summer is long gone.

Of course the summer here is quite short, so maybe they thought they where coming during summer and it was really spring or autoumn.

Stranger things have happened though, it has snowed in central europe during the early / Late summer in some freak incidents.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Are – sweden’ is closed to new replies.