Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Are SRAM jockey wheels just cack?
  • jimmy

First experience of SRAM mechs having got one last year. I haven’t ridden the bike for a couple of months but this hasn’t been unusual in the past (with shimano) but the jockey wheel is seized solid and the bearings don’t seem amazingly sealed. Is this a common thing? And are there and decent non-SRAM replacements for sensible money? (I’m looking now but recommendations are good)

mcnultycop

My GX seems to get a bit sticky too on a bike that I don’t ride all the time.

fifeandy
    Free Member

My X0 wheels died after around 2k miles which i didn’t think was too bad.
    Replaced them with some Hopes, 500mi in and no complaints so far.

kirky72
    Free Member

Get some ceramic jockeys from über bike as replace,nets, last ages and do seem to feel notably smoother
    Due to clearing shit easier.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Shimano. EOT.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Uber don’t do the ceramic any more.

But yes, Sram jockeys are cack, even the posh ones. I go with alloy with ceramic bearings if I can but the cheaper ones are getting harder to find now. Originally used KCNC which were great but then they doubled the price.

ferrals
    Free Member

I think shimano jockey wheels are rubbish too. The plastic wears so quickly. Just put ubernike ones on and shifting noticeably better

dannyh
    Free Member

SRAM jockey wheels are crap. The bearings are awful.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’m lucky if I get a season of CX racing out of a set of Sram jockey wheels, and that’s with trying to stay on top of maintaining them (popping seals, flushing and filling with grease).

So bookmarking for alternative recommendations.

slowoldman

Having just cleaned and re-greased wheels from an X7 and an XT I can’t say I noticed any difference in the bearings or seals.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Having just cleaned and re-greased wheels from an X7 and an XT I can’t say I noticed any difference in the bearings or seals.

?

Sram jockey wheels have sealed bearings, all my Shimano jockey wheels have bushes (ceramic in higher end groups). Have Shimano moved to bearings now?

slowoldman

Well I’ve been had then. My X7 wheels have bushes.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’d prefer bushes to be honest (have Sram Rival with seizing bearings on my CX bike), maybe Sram use bushes in some and bearings in others?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes. Yes they are.

unovolo
    Free Member

Have Shimano moved to bearings now?

Bearings in the XT jockey wheels I have just replaced, the bearings were fine by the way but the wheels themselves were like Ninja throwing stars.

Replaced with some Tacx stainless steel JW’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Are SRAM jockey wheels just cack?’ is closed to new replies.