Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Are some racial stereotypes justified?
  • binners

But we’re no longer allowed to say so as … <adopts best Daily Mail voice> … political correctness has apparently gone mad.

Its just that I’ve noticed, having dealt with a certain race of people quite extensively recently, that they all without fail, demonstrate stereotypical character traits that have made them extremely unpopular indeed at times.

But If I wrote the sentence down that I just voiced to my business partner, there would be uproar.

So… serious question. (And I’m honestly not being all daily mail about this) But do some races/nationalities deserve the criticism they get, but seem to have immunised themselves from it due to the prevailing political winds?

druidh
    Free Member

Are there certain cultural traits which apply to large numbers, even the majority of, individuals? Absolutely.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Are some racial stereotypes justified?

Having read your post, I reckon you’re black.

Am I right ?

kimbers

agreed cultural is more relevant than racial in these circumstances

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Yes, Yorkshire people are tight :o) [Hora for example]

winstonsmith

do you mean the micks? maybe the wogs? coons? chinkies?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its “political correctness living with mental health issues”

FFS man!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Micks I reckon are the worst of the lot Winston

roper
    Free Member

bloody whinging pom.

binners

Yes, but Simon we’re allowed, ne encouraged, to persecute Hora. As he deserves everything he gets

Pigface
    Free Member

Its true us Welsh are handsome, superb lovers, hung like horses, witty and debonair.

DezB
    Free Member

Are stereotypes invented traits?

Houns

I agree with the OP to a certain extent – And i’m sure there are plenty of folk overseas that say exactly the same about Brits – Pissed up lager louting football shirt wearing chavs.
    We all know we’re not all like that, and we should all know that which ever race you are referring to aren’t like the stereotype – Just a small percentage of the population

kimbers

stwers are self righteous, pontificating ****ts, FACT

coffeeking
    Free Member

Of course some stereotypes fit a large percentage of the population that they are applied to – that’s a large part of how stereotypes form. It doesnt mean you should assume an individual from that race/culture WILL be like that, and it shouldnt be used to discriminate, but it’s often fair to say you can use it as a predictor of certain behaviours. Just like saying teenagers are moody, MOST teenagers are moody due to cultural, hormonal and peer influences, but you shouldnt assume all teenagers WILL be moody.

Simples.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Gypos?

Are really nice people….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but it’s often fair to say you can use it as a predictor of certain behaviours

agree with coffeeking, except for this bit – I say rather than use it as a predictor, wait and see, and perhaps use it as an explanation in retrospect.

We all have cultural (rather than racial) heritages which to some extent influence our actions, but they are are also subject to character, circumstances, mood and whim to such an extent that any predictions are useless

enfht
    Free Member

Aren’t “stereotypes” just generalisations?

“Racial” generalisations are obviously bad.

BigDummy
    Free Member

It is not technically correct that jews start all the warsd in the world though. 🙂

tankslapper
    Free Member

Irish drink a lot (yes we do!) 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

to such an extent that any predictions are useless

I don’t know about useless in such definitive terms. Of course you can’t say “bob is chinese, therefore he will be small, polite but eat with his mouth open”, however based on previous experience with LOTS of chinese folk I could quite easily say that I could predict with a good degree of confidence that those traits would be present in bob, without ever meeting him. I could also say that if he were a chinese person who had lived in the UK for a long time he’d be more likely to be slightly overweight and less likely to eat with his mouth open. However I’d not say “you can’t invite bob to a party, he’s chinese so he will eat with his mouth open while talking to the mayor and spit food on him”, but I might chuckle about it as a possibility in my head.

samuri
    Free Member

All blokes who wear a hat in the car are shit drivers. That one is completely true.

And I can’t dance so the honky one is true too.

juan
    Free Member

Pissed up lager louting football shirt wearing chavs.

Well that saddly is what you get in most of continental town where easyjet/ryan air fly 🙁
    I struggle to change most of my friend minds about brits. But then I suppose you can say it of french/spanish/italian/german who go on holidays abroad.

Now about hora and sfb…

allyharp

lol @ winston

I’d say there are definitely cultural traits which are strongly evident amongst certain groups, but agree with sfb’s comment

coffeeking
    Free Member

All blokes who wear a hat in the car are shit drivers. That one is completely true.

What about a bandana?

roper
    Free Member

I drive a shit car and sometimes wear a hat, will that do?

samuri
    Free Member

What about a bandana?

Gay

I drive a shit car and sometimes wear a hat, will that do?

Frenchman.

Stereotyping is ACE!

Travis

Its true us Welsh are handsome, superb lovers, hung like horses, witty and debonair.

says Pigface 😯

flatfish
    Free Member

southerners are soft, shandydrinking, and indeed puffs.

FACT

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s true. We’re so busy bumming each other and drinking shandy, that there’s barely a moment left for coal eating and wife beating. Plus we’d probably not have the strength for it anyway.

jon1973
    Free Member

What are puffs?

IanMunro
    Free Member

southerners.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

Binners is actually from Grenada originally (and yes he is Albino).

jojoA1
    Free Member

I haven’t seen them in AAAAaaaages. I used to love them. Anyone know where they can be purchased? Must be eaten by splitting into two, scraping off the lemony creamy stuff and then eating the buttery puff parts. NOM!!!

binners

Ssssssssshhhhh. I was trying to pretend to be Irish. Like most Americans

tankslapper
    Free Member

I’m pretending to be American like most Irish men….

hora
    Free Member

Why do you never get subtitles when an Irish/Welsh or Scottish person speaks on TV yet when a Carribean person etc speaks……you do?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

not sure about racial stereotypes, but i find christians to be a load of cocks, best used as lion food.

And the best thing is, I can get away with saying things like that.

hora

parts of Trawlermen, featuring Peterhead chaps was subtitled. Just as well, though beacuse i can hardly understand them, and I’m from just down the road.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive worked with well educated people from Africa, the Middle East and the Far East. They were very different in the way they dealt with business problems and the way they conducted themselves in meetings.

Same company, same mission, same degrees, but very very different appraoch to the same problem. If you were a betting person you would win almost every time guessing the race from the way they acted at work.

Things like logic problem solving, or how they dealt with non standard situations. Or how they could or could not bend the rules were very obvious differences.

For example Ive never seen someone from Japan walk across the road without the pedestrian green man showing – dispite there not being any traffic. Never mind cross where there is no crossing in place.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Are some racial stereotypes justified?’ is closed to new replies.