• This topic has 235 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 236 total)
  • Are some people too 'anti' for their own good?
  • cinnamon_girl

I bought 200 cigarettes last week – £75! 😯

philconsequence
    Free Member

banners and the fantastically productive ‘honk if you want to save the tumbly’ signs. i of course honked because it amused me to make a girl on the end not looking jump out of her skin 😀

only saw one person there in the crowd who used to work there.

was definitely more excited about my new pair of welly boots from b&q than i was saving the tumbly.

instead of a mcdonalds they should turn it into one of those swanky new drive-through starbucks or costas.

deviant
    Free Member

People would still be fat without McDonalds, i work with lots of different people…old, young, men, women and most are overweight….most dont eat McDonalds everyday either so to blame one fast food company is ridiculous.

Most dont take any exercise at all….i mean none, and the few that go to a gym go through the motions without breaking sweat….i know i’ve trained alongside them in a futile attempt to switch them onto the exercise bug.

Most of my mates have mountain bikes….sat in the shed, they think its weird that i cycle all the time.

Beer is full of calories….among my colleagues and friends alcohol intake seems to be a daily occurence, eating at Maccy-D’s is not…..what is making people fat is spending every evening sat on the sofa drinking beer/wine and eating dinner….night after night after night.

I work in the NHS, you’d like to think that as a group we’d be more clued up than most about diet/exercise/smoking etc….not a chance, meal breaks in the crew room are an eye opener as people devour bags of crisps, chocolate bars, cans of coke etc….then there are the sugar and salt laden microwave meals….eaten daily of course, it’s easier isnt it?

Nobody puts a gun to their heads to eat like this, some just couldnt care less, some have no idea what they’re doing wrong….

….when i was very lean and very fit i ate a cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and an evening meal, drank loads of water and went kickboxing twice a week (with the odd gym session and cycling too), i would pass on desert if i was out on a meal with family/friends and would often pick the salad as a main course….i looked great and felt great but bloody hell it was boring and took some will power to say the least….the reason obesity is on the rise is not because of McDonalds but simply human nature and the path of least resistance.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Certainly based on the McDonalds I worked at the social benefits were pretty much zero

You’re basing this on one McDs you worked at for a short time some years ago you know…. And you keep going on and on and on and on about it. Give it a rest eh? [/stuckrecord]

I’m sure it’s not the best job in the world, no. I’m sure you have to work hard (Ahh diddums) for your money, but apart from the 2 secondments I’ve done away from the quarry I’ve not had a lunch break AT ALL in nearly 12 years. My heart bleeds for you. Not.
    🙂

binners

My major complaint about McDonalds is that they don’t have mozzarella dippers on the menu all the time

Mmmmmmmmm… deep fried cheese.

Hang on a minute. My arms started hurting. In fact I can’t feel it……

cinnamon_girl

Just going back to that link I posted to the Guardian article on nutrition – there were a few families scrimping big time when buying food for themselves and their children. Interesting though that they continued with their basic £25 per month Sky subscription. 😐

My priority would have been feeding the kids properly and doing without Sky.

grum
    Free Member

Lots of snobbery on here.

Examples please? Apart from the pro-McDonalds advocates claiming it’s ‘people think it’s for chavs’ I haven’t seen any.

You’re basing this on one McDs you worked at for a short time some years ago you know…. And you keep going on and on and on and on about it. Give it a rest eh? [/stuckrecord]

I’m sorry, I should based my opinions on absolutely nothing like everyone else in this thread eh?

D0NK

If i saw rubbish from my business littering the road i would be deeply ashamed.

that’s a point how far will macdonalds litter patrol go if you inform them of big dumping sites?

Plenty of idiots go to McDs drive thru, head up to the hills so they have a picturesque view of bolton town centre (as seen through fog and rain) whilst stuffing their pieholes then offload the wrappers out of their windows.

philconsequence
    Free Member

a meal only holds a kids attention whilst they’re eating… sky keeps them out the parents hair for hours a day allowing the parents to sit outside the front of the house smoking and throwing empty tenants cans at people with proper haircuts.

MEDICAL FACT.

philconsequence
    Free Member

based my opinions on absolutely nothing like everyone else in this thread eh?

:O i take offence. did you not see my medical fact?!

grum
    Free Member

People can still buy cigarettes, but less do because of education – and death of course – but education is the answer.

Education is directly counteracted by the massive advertising spend of junk food companies though.

:O i take offence. did you not see my medical fact?!

You’ll have to remind me, though no doubt it was all kinds of awesome. 🙂

I’m sure it’s not the best job in the world, no. I’m sure you have to work hard (Ahh diddums) for your money, but apart from the 2 secondments I’ve done away from the quarry I’ve not had a lunch break AT ALL in nearly 12 years. My heart bleeds for you. Not.

Another great argument – ‘my working conditions are crap, so therefore it’s fine for other people to get treated like crap too, so that a massive company already making a huge profit can make a bit more’ 😕

binners

The irony of all this is that soon, you’ll have handy access to the best hangover cure known to man, in a former boozer….

😀

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Certainly based on the McDonalds I worked at the social benefits were pretty much zero

I’ve worked for some shitty companies too*. I don’t think McDs have the monopoly on treating staff like crap.

*one of the worst was a bike shop!

grum
    Free Member

I’ve worked for some shitty companies too*. I don’t think McDs have the monopoly on treating staff like crap.

*one of the worst was a bike shop!

When you worked in the bike shop, and someone came in to complain about something, did you say ‘yeah well what about the worker’s conditions in the factory where they made your smartphone, you massive hypocrite?’

I can see why that wouldn’t have worked out well for you. 😛

mikeconnor
    Free Member

When you worked in the bike shop, and someone came in to complain about something, did you say ‘yeah well what about the worker’s conditions in the factory where they made your smartphone, you massive hypocrite?’

Ok so you’ve lost the argument now you’re just desperately clutching at staws.

At least you got a lunch break at McDs.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Another great argument

Thanks! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmmm… deep fried cheese.

Of course, McDs did not invent those…

So to get the debate back on topic, let’s acknowledge a few things.

1) People will always be tempted to eat unhealty food, some will be able to resist it better than others.

2) Unhealthy food will always be available and highly profitable – see 1) above.

3) It’s always better to have buildings in use than derilict.

So given those points, it’s hard to sympathise with the protesters, isn’t it?

Btw, for those who’ve never been, Farnborough town centre is a pretty crappy new town without much to recommend it, unfortunately. There aren’t even many of the typical big chains there – it’s as if they can’t be bothered – ironically this means many independent shops, but in the form of discount home goods and pound shops. It’s a shame because I get the impression there’s loads of life being lived in the area.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with a big mac now and again. Their coffee is cheap and quite nice and the toilets are always clean.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I should based my opinions on absolutely nothing like everyone else in this thread eh?

Well, I’ve got about 4 times the experience that you have of working in fast food: Nearly 2 years as a KFC supervisor, and as a delivery driver for Dominos more recently. Plus I worked in the pub in question.

One nil to me. 😛 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

One nil to me.

Oof. Back of the net.

grum
    Free Member

Well, I’ve got about 4 times the experience that you have of working in fast food: Nearly 2 years as a KFC supervisor, and as a delivery driver for Dominos more recently. Plus I worked in the pub in question.

But none of McDonalds, which is what we’re actually talking about. 😉

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Just going back to that link I posted to the Guardian article on nutrition – there were a few families scrimping big time when buying food for themselves and their children. Interesting though that they continued with their basic £25 per month Sky subscription.

Shhh – you’re not allowed to say that C-G,they’ll be calling you Edwina in a minute 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mike, which bike shop did you work in then?

Most interesting….. 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Mike, which bike shop did you work in then?

Most interesting…..

It’s really not, actually. Crap shop, crap wages, crap conditions, hardly any breaks, hazardous place to work in, loads of arsey customers, tosser of a manager, colleagues who couldn t give a fig. I was young and needed the money (like most folk). I did think that being interested in bikes, it might be ‘fun’. I was wrong.

Fortunately the shop no longer exists. I think it might be a McDs now.

D0NK

Fortunately the shop no longer exists. I think it might be a McDs now.

give us the address I’ll organise a protest

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think so, yes.

Btw, for those who’ve never been, Farnborough town centre is a pretty crappy new town without much to recommend it, unfortunately. There aren’t even many of the typical big chains there – it’s as if they can’t be bothered – ironically this means many independent shops, but in the form of discount home goods and pound shops. It’s a shame because I get the impression there’s loads of life being lived in the area.

Oi! Steady on! 😉
    There’s only one pound shop (In the old Woolies) as far as I know.
    We’ve got an independant photography shop, bakers, a decent LBS and a reasonable hardwear shop. There’s Debenhams, Argos, Wilkos, WHSmith, New Look, Boots, Asda and a posh new Sainsburys, with a lovey new ‘The Gym’ just opened next door. There’s new flats and serviced appartments too.
    There’s a new hotel and Weatherspoons too
    Yeah, it’s been a crappy for a loooong while, but it’s very slowly being rebuilt, and I think that a new (Whilst it could be better) McDs in the old Tumbly will help a little, rather than make it worse. At least they have the financial clout to do it 🙂

What they have to avoid is what happened in Aldershiteot years ago – Massive new shopping centre that to this day has never been fully occupied. Total white elephant.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I remember the days when I’d pop to the local pub after work every night, supporting their business by purchasing harmless alcoholic drinks…

Oh no, wait, those are exactly the days I can’t remember.

Maybe McDonalds is healthier after all. I’m fairly sure I have never lost two days of memories from eating a big mac.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But none of McDonalds, which is what we’re actually talking about.

Seriously now. I actually really do have an at risk letter at home….. And I’m not proud…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

1)People will always be tempted to eat unhealty food, some will be able to resist it better than others.

2) Unhealthy food will always be available and highly profitable – see 1) above.

3) It’s always better to have buildings in use than derilict.

well 2 of those 3 are bad surely and the third is conditional on what use it is put to

1) folk will always do drugs
    2) selling drugs will be highly profitable
    3) better to have a building in use than derlict

Rejoice the crack house opens next week and molly and PP think it’s hard to sympathise with the protests

KonaTC

mrmonkfinger – Member

I remember the days when I’d pop to the local pub after work every night, supporting their business by purchasing harmless alcoholic drinks…

Oh no, wait, those are exactly the days I can’t remember.

Maybe McDonalds is healthier after all. I’m fairly sure I have never lost two days of memories from eating a big mac.

😆

binners

Comparing Double cheeseburgers with crack? Even for a vegan, that’s harsh! 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rejoice the crack house opens next week and molly and PP think it’s hard to sympathise with the protests

What a load of hysterical bollocks.

You’d be out there protesting wouldn’t you? 🙄

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Consumption of food is portrayed as a chore, get someone to make it for you, much better…. The US have been at this way longer , look at the outcome…

Many places elsewhere you don’t see many obese people, most of the rest of the world still eats locally sourced food,in traditional ways, they are though being subjected to the American corporate onslaught, so that there are McD ‘s infiltrating all cultures with their ‘cool’ imagery .

binners

Consumption of food is portrayed as a chore

Thats just complete cobblers though, isn’t it? There hasn’t ever been a time in this countries history where cooking, and cookery has been so celebrated, and ingredients been under more scrutiny

so that there are McD ‘s infiltrating all cultures with their ‘cool’ imagery .

that really is stretching credulity to believe that, in any section of society, McDonalds is, or ever has been ‘cool’

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Binners, last time i was in jamaica, where they eat really well,lots of youth thought going to a fast food joint was the ‘thing’– whether it was Mc d or the ironically the Colonel’s place– they have much better jerk chicken etc at roadside stalls than the pressurised deep fried stuff that cost twice as much — power of advertising 🙁

And yes, who has the luxury of making those ‘menu’s’ of the tele- people who been working all day on crap money, juggling kids,or the idle rich with a new hobby to indulge–

I am not saying that you cannot do these things, but societal pressures make it hard for many, as some have said, greengrocers butchers bakers have gone from many places– all you have is a choice of cling film wrapped stuff from competing super markets.

binners

I think you’re being overly pessimistic about food in this country. If anything, despite the best attempts of Maccy D’s and the supermarket mafia, I think there are a lot of positives. People seem to care more about what they’re eating, (and drinking)

Like the way Real Ale is the only growth area for pubs, I get the same impression with food. People are looking for quality

I get all our meat from a local butchers, where everything is sourced locally. There is just no comparison on quality. Price-wise: Its pretty much the same. We cook lovely meals every every evening, while working and juggling kids. As do a lot of people.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

So the obesity epidemic is a myth then eh ?

Glad you ave a lovely local butcher, and that you are not working shifts, or on a building site.

As for drinking ale, at £2 80 a pint — only as an occasional treat.

Funny how you look at things from a subjective view 😉

binners

I’m not saying its a myth at all. Its very real. But you can’t blame McDonalds for that.

Why on earth would working shifts, or working on a building site prevent me from buying decent quality ingredients? I do the same thing every week. I go out and do the shopping on a Saturday morning and get everything we need for the week. The only difference is the location. I go to a few local shops rather than a supermarket. Its hardly some mammoth effort!

Supermarkets do well, not because of a lack of alternatives, but mainly because of the sheer bloody laziness of a lot of people IMHO. A lot of them being the same NIMBY’s who bemoan the death of local shops, while doing all their shopping at Tesco’s! Which, I think, brings us back nicely to where this thread started

molgrips
    Free Member

Silly.

I think it’s safe to say that crack is significantly more dangerous than big macs.

People are looking for quality

He’s right you know.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 236 total)

The topic ‘Are some people too 'anti' for their own good?’ is closed to new replies.