• This topic has 235 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 236 total)
  • Are some people too 'anti' for their own good?
  • grum
    Free Member

More McDonalds is hardly a reason to get the bunting out is it? I’ll admit to going there on occasion and have worked there in the distant past, so don’t see how I can be accused of snobbery or ‘hand-wringing’, whatever that means.

Fact is this country would be a better, healthier place if less McDonalds food was eaten. Their massive marketing push of unhealthy food to kids is totally immoral. Yes ultimately it’s the parents responsibility but that doesn’t mean it’s ok.

jon1973
    Free Member

artisan deli

You know whenever you hear the word ‘artisan’ in front of anything, these days, it’s going to cost you four times the price you’d normally pay.

grum
    Free Member

But people seem to be desperate to identify themselves with some cause or other, and this seems to be joining whatever lynch mob is currently in fashion.

Some people are desperate to prove their ‘salt of the earth’ credentials by slagging off anyone who doesn’t fully buy into the marketing BS of the crap food chains they eat at. 😉

brooess
    Free Member

The liberal/handwringing angle is an interesting response to some pretty shocking stats which impact us all:

Obesity is a massive burden on the economic output of the UK:
    More illness = higher load on NHS = higher taxes
    More illness = lower productivity = lower GDP = lower wealth
    Higher aggregate weight of the population means everything has to be bigger and stronger to carry the same number of people = more oil needed, = less room on public transport, = roads need to be made stronger…
    Harder to recruit soldiers, police, firemen who are fit enough to do the job…

I don’t think the government have fully explained the breadth of impact of obesity to us yet…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Near me, about a decade ago, some old buildings were sold, pulled down and new flats/cafe built in their place.

Folk objected as this obstructed a view of the sea (the new buildings being by the promenade at the end of a dog-legged street). The old buildings were near-derelict and housed a grim amusement arcade that could appear in a Smiths video.

Now there’s some swanky flats and a busy cafe, which together with the revitalised pub next-door has breathed some life into the prom which was ptherwise devoid of pleasant eateries.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

More McDonalds is hardly a reason to get the bunting out is it?

Agreed. But it’s too late here. If people REALLY cared they’d have done something before now. Now it’s just bandwagon jumping.

Fact is this country would be a better, healthier place if less McDonalds food was eaten

Same can be said of any ‘bad for you’ food.
    The fact is that if they build this McDs I’ll be able to walk to 2 McDs from my house. I’ve just had a quick metal count up and within that same radius I’m loosing count at about 10-12 (I’ve edited that twice during typing becasue I keep thinking of more) curry houses alone, never mind pizza, kebab, chinese, chippy etc
    When was the last time someone protested about a curry house opening?

I think within the range of a good thrower with a cricket ball from the pub in question are 2 curry houses, one chippy, one kebab and possibly a chinese.

Peyote
    Free Member

I thought McD’s was a bit/lot better than many fast food places these days? Seem to remember reading a fair bit about them following the McLibel stuff a few years ago. Their environmental and social policies seemed quite positive compared to most and the franchise nature of the business meant that many of their outlets exceeded these policies standards…

…or I may have been hoodwinked by their huge PR buddget!

Peyote
    Free Member

PS -How is F’boro’s Wimpy still going? Retrochic?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t think the government have fully explained the breadth of obesity to us yet…

Please say that was intentional 😀

I am not sure we can blame McD’s for this but it also seems clear education alone is not the answer- everyone knows what stuff is bad from you but we seem reluctant to go down the prescriptive route [ via taxation] we have with cigs and alcohol and we seem to be liberal and leave it up to folk. Will it last? I really dont know

If all you can buy when you want to eat is unhealthy stuff then that is what will be bought

However I doubt a salad bar or couscouserie would fair well – well not oop north

If people REALLY cared they’d have done something before now. Now it’s just bandwagon jumping.

What exactly did you want them to do, put in a preservation order banning Mc Donalds from opening there?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PS -How is F’boro’s Wimpy still going? Retrochic

Moved to bigger premises opposite Iceland a few years ago, going well I think!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If all you can buy when you want to eat is unhealthy stuff

Which, in the UK, is never. There’s ALWAYS an alternative.

grum
    Free Member

Same can be said of any ‘bad for you’ food.
    The fact is that if they build this McDs I’ll be able to walk to 2 McDs from my house. I’ve just had a quick metal count up and within that same radius I’m loosing count at about 10-12 (I’ve edited that twice during typing becasue I keep thinking of more) curry houses alone, never mind pizza, kebab, chinese, chippy etc
    When was the last time someone protested about a curry house opening?

Last time I went in a curry house they served proper food full of real vegetables, (that probably also had a fair bit of fat in it). McDonalds has almost zero nutritional value.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a curry house that aggressively markets rubbish food and sugary drinks to kids either.

binners

If all you can buy when you want to eat is unhealthy stuff then that is what will be bought

I don’t know the location well , but I’d hazard a guess that other food outlets are available in the vicinity. Who knows… if you looked really really hard, you might find one that sold fruit. Though I doubt it’d be organic

molgrips
    Free Member

Fact is this country would be a better, healthier place if less McDonalds food was eaten. Their massive marketing push of unhealthy food to kids is totally immoral

Do me a favour. McDonalds is hradly the only place to get unhealthy food, is it? Everywhere from top restaurants to the nastiest chippy sells it. That should tell you something. That we like unhealthy food, and as long as we like it people will sell it to us.

As for marketing to kids – surely that’s an 90s thing? Almost all the ads I can remember seeing for McDs are aimed at adults.

I’m not a particular lover of McDs, but it’s just a fast food restaurant selling much the same as any other cheap pub or restaurant. It’s just not that big of a deal.

And you can eat reasonably in McDs, by the way. You can have some crispy chicken in a tortilla with salsa/sauce/whatever and a water or a coffee. You don’t have to have fries and coke. You could also go into Pret a Manger or whatever and have something slathered in mayo, on white bread, with crisps and a coke.

There’s no point in demonising the company (any more)

Not sure I’ve ever seen a curry house that aggressively markets rubbish food and sugary drinks to kids either.

Show me (honest question, as like I say I see far more adult adverts for McDs than I do kids ones)

Peyote
    Free Member

Who knows… if you looked really really hard, you might find one that sold fruit. Though I doubt it’d be organic

Yeah, there’s an Asda within walking distances. They even sell organic and free range foodstuffs for bleeding-heart-envirogeeks like me!

TooTall
    Free Member

I would prefer it if you were brief to the point of absence you right wing knuckle dragging numbnuts

Keep your assumptions to yourself and I’ll throw proper insults when I need to – not some frippery of a throwaway comment aimed at a reactionary and rather foolish statement with no foundation.

The Golden Arches are NOT the cause of obesity in the UK. Poor education and parenting are the main cause of this.

McDonalds has almost zero nutritional value

Factually wrong.

druidh
    Free Member

This site 🙂 says there are almost 500 calories in a Chicken Korma. A bit more than Big Mac.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’d still like to know what the basis for most people’s objections were. It’s all well and good us debating the rights and wrongs of junk food and the obesity epidemic but I find it hard to believe that was the collective objection to this pub being turned into a Maccy D’s.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There’s ALWAYS an alternative

Yes a quick look down any high street will see what the ratio is of healthy to eat at places and takeaways with unhealthy stuff

Its not even a contentious point. I am a vegan want to walk down ahigh street with me whilst we look for a helathy meal?
    There may be an alternative if you have time to look but you will pass lots of other options on your quest to eat healthy

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The Golden Arches are NOT the cause of obesity in the UK. Poor parenting are the main cause of this.

Absolutely. It’s too easy to blame someone/something else.

TooTall
    Free Member

druidh – don’t you now have to go to the sin bin in Hell for 10 minutes for that link? 😈

fervouredimage
    Free Member

There may be an alternative if you have time to look but you will pass lots of other options on your quest to eat healthy

So, a good walk and a healthy meal. Win win situation surely.

binners

I find it hard to believe that was the collective objection to this pub being turned into a Maccy D’s.

Its snobbery! Pure and simple! McDonalds = frightful Chav’s shoveling burgers into their feral, fatherless offspring, in the snotty, middle-class, aspirational minds of some people. Though as is being exhibited on this thread, this is based purely on assumptions, probably formed some time around 1992, rather than any actual evidence

Blaming McDonalds for an Obesity epidemic is like blaming WH Smiths for people smoking

druidh
    Free Member

🙂 I knew it would go down well here

Junkyard
    Free Member

Keep your assumptions to yourself

yes your insult was indeed well founded and is a SCIENTIFIC FACT 😕

and I’ll throw proper insults when I need to

Given your psychological make up that will be quite often you need to then

– not some frippery of a throwaway comment aimed at a reactionary and rather foolish statement with no foundation

No the big words you used to explain why you were rude and insulting have left me confused now 🙄 so i shall stick to
    they dont like it up them 🙄

druidh
    Free Member

Market forces dictate that outlets don’t necessarily want to cater for around 0.3% of the population. That’s simple economics.

TooTall
    Free Member

junkyard. I do rather enjoy your amateur psychological analysis and the virtual therapy you provide.
    I hope that, some day, I can see the world with the clarity you embody and achieve enlightenment to reside in the sunlit uplands you obviously inhabit.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

the processed food industry is BIG, has lots of power/influence– same as Meat industry, supermarkets , etc— they control pretty much the whole process, nice juicy profits to be made, the junk food stuff is addictive, its also not good for the consumer– you only have to look across the pond to see where uk is heading.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20390416

Seems apt to post this here.

grum
    Free Member

Do me a favour. McDonalds is hradly the only place to get unhealthy food, is it? Everywhere from top restaurants to the nastiest chippy sells it. That should tell you something. That we like unhealthy food, and as long as we like it people will sell it to us.

No but it’s one of the most prevalent, high profile places to get unhealthy food, so unsurprisingly it get’s highlighted more than your local chippy. Also, fancy restaurant food normally contains lots of decent ingredients as well as fat etc, and is seen as a treat you might have occasionally.

As for marketing to kids – surely that’s an 90s thing? Almost all the ads I can remember seeing for McDs are aimed at adults.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFVTJ0OH7Zg[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeM1diCPFiI[/video]

Then there’s getting teen icon Justin Timberlake to front a massive advertising campaign, sponsoring lots of youth events etc, the very concept of ‘Happy Meals’, etc etc

This site says there are almost 500 calories in a Chicken Korma. A bit more than Big Mac.

A chicken korma (probably the least healthy thing from a curry house so well done for picking that) would be eaten as a meal, perhaps with rice. For most people a Big Mac is a snack.

wrecker
    Free Member

A fiver for a big mac? I could eat at least 4 of those.
    McD’s is very poor value as well as shit. I avoid them at all costs.
    Happily, we have St Nicks market in Brizzle which has some very nice food places indeed.

johndoh
    Free Member

The Golden Arches are NOT the cause of obesity in the UK.

If you look at the clientele of most MacDs, you’ll probably note that many of them are much smaller than most of us, jeans hanging off the arse teenagers actually.

grum
    Free Member

Its snobbery! Pure and simple! McDonalds = frightful Chav’s feeding burgers to their feral, fatherless offspring, in the snotty middle-class aspirational minds of some people. Though as is being exhibited on this thread, this is based purely on assumptions, probably formed some time around 1992, rather than any actual evidence

Blaming McDonalds for an Obesity epidemic is like blaming WH Smiths for people smoking

Hmmm, the snobbery seems to me to be all the people in favour, who’ve decided there is a correlation of McDonald’s = food for ‘lower class’ people (again, trying to prove ‘salt of the earth’ credentials?)

Not my experience of the clientele from working there btw.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

the food is shite, but then so is carling black label, plenty drink that– advertising does work, along with distribution and control thereof…

you right Grum– the poor can’t afford to go them places, £20 for a snack WTF- thats for two adults and two kids– £20 can feed you well for two days at least eating proper food, that involves preparing and cooking– adding the love 😉

fervouredimage
    Free Member

If you look at the clientele of most MacDs, you’ll probably note that many of them are much smaller than most of us, jeans hanging off the arse teenagers actually.

That means very little really.

cinnamon_girl

FCOL it’s nothing to do with class!!! There is an obesity epidemic in this country that will cost the NHS and country dearly. It’s high time that local councils, or whoever decides on these matters, look at the big picture and forget their inevitable backhanders.

emsz
    Free Member

Binners is right it’s just snobbery. And once it gets built they’ll still go there 😆

Chips and a smarties mcflurry = treat yum!!

joeegg
    Free Member

The country lanes around my house are strewn with litter from a McDonalds drive thru opened about a year ago.Theres also a KFC and rip off coffeee place as well on the same complex.
    I contacted Macs about the rubbish and their head office said it wasn’t their responsibility ,it was the franchisees problem.
    The franchisee asked how to solve the problem.Close the drive thru,eat in only.That won’t happen.
    I’m not fussed about people getting fat,obese,and dying early as thats their choice.Same as smoking.
    What irks me is the mentallity of drive thru customers who fling their rubbish out of the car window.If i saw rubbish from my business littering the road i would be deeply ashamed.
    In the good old days eating in a cafe meant a ceramic plate and metal knife and fork instead of eating off polystyrene with plastic utensils meant for a child..Progress ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I am a vegan want to walk down ahigh street with me whilst we look for a helathy meal?

Piece of piss for me me and MrsPP mate, who’s veggie. Not my fault you limit yourself so much. That’s your problem. 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I reckon the vast majority of people objecting to McD’s opening up in their neighbourhood are only really concenred with their fear of the value of their houses dropping, rather than any other ethical or health agenda. Because a McD’s will inevitable lead to vast hordes of ‘undesirables’ flooding into the area.

Perhaps one possible solution to the social divide and ridiculous unaffordable mortgages is to move McDs from poorer areas into more affluent ones. This will bring the proletariat into more contact with Decent People and could lead to greater social interaction between people from different economic and cultural backgrounds.

What do those opposed to McDs/tescos etc feel about the rise of Evans Cycles in our hight streets, or Chainreaction etc? Or that the cycling industry unavoidably involves the exploitation of peoples in far away lands so that we can enjoy nice bikes?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 236 total)

The topic ‘Are some people too 'anti' for their own good?’ is closed to new replies.