Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??

Home Forum Bike Forum Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??
  • HTTP404

In cold weather as the body inevitably cools down, the blood circulation shrinks inwards to maintain core temperature, ie blood flow is reduced from the arms and legs. This can cause cramping in the legs.

I would have thought the effects of cold on blood flow to the knee joint would also be detrimental in some way.

Longs for me.

grumm

Dead ‘ard me. I do currently have a bad knee – pretty sure its not related though.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I’m also shocked at how many people wear shorts. Do any of you actually do it through choice? Ie have you bought some tights, worn them, got too hot and gone back to shorts? I’ve only ever spoken to people who’ve got tights and realised how much more comfy it is!

Tights or 3/4 below about 14-15 degrees, lots of embrocation if racing in lower temperatures.

Ie have you bought some tights, worn them, got too hot and gone back to shorts?

YES 🙂 Tights are for girls.

TimothyD

I think not wearing shorts in the cold is less potentially harmfull than wearing them,and you’ve only one body etc..

Shorts wearers are nuts. 🙂

K.s

shorts and knee warmers, best of both worlds!

coffeeking

Rarely ride in anything other than shorts and T, unless its raining. I get too hot within about 10 minutes of setting off unless I go out like this. Have some tights, get hot and itchy in them. Have a jacket but get too hot and itchy in it so tend to either wear it open or take it off altogether. It was only -4 when this photo was taken so not too bad.

TimothyD

Maybe shorts wearers aren’t nuts. It’s weird you get so hot coffeeking.

think not wearing shorts in the cold is less potentially harmfull than wearing them,and you’ve only one body etc..

Shorts wearers are nuts.

did you mean more harmful ?

coffeeking

It is weird, I agree 🙂 Suits me fine though. Still get cold standing around, its just under my own motion I seem to produce more heat than my body can deal with lol.

alpin

was about -10 that evening. i had two(!) pairs of socks on….

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??’ is closed to new replies.