Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??

Home Forum Bike Forum Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??
  • joe1983

Hi, I’ve got a day of riding planned tomorrow and it is going to be pretty cold. The decision is nice new riding shorts, or slightly embarrasingly bad old jogging bottoms. My question is this – will wearing shorts, and having colder knees, really be bad for them? Sometimes I struggle with my knees and was wondering what you guys think. Mum’s tights anyone?!

RudeBoy

Mum’s tights, long johns, dodgy old tracksuit bottoms, and waterproof over trousers. Then, you should be ok.

Shorts? In January? Are you completely mad?

Or SimonFBarnes, from pics I’ve seen.

Mind, same thing, some would say…

psychle

I where shorts all year round… I like cold legs 🙂

sc-xc

I used to wear shorts all year round, then I put some of my wifes thermal legging things on. They’re ace.

Premier Icon cotic853
    Subscriber

I arrived a work a while back with a crust of snow on the front of by bare legs, no problem really, I always wear shorts and my knees still work most of the time

Gooner

you’ll get “easter knee”

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

Aldi have cheap thermal compression tights at the moment…

djglover

I found it OK until about 2 years ago, as soon as I hit 30 I had to be warm

joe1983

Yeah cold doesn’t bother me at all – just thinking it may not be kind on my knees.

igm – how much are they, do you know if they are in all aldi stores as can’t find them on their website?

Conor

If you think shorts in winter are bad for knees maybe you should try a homoeopathic remedy?

joe1983

ride naked? might scare the wildlife

knott4me

pedal faster

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

joe1983 – the aldi tights were about £8 came out last Sunday and the sizes are opptimistic (or I’ve gotten even fatter) Still had loads in in Castleford during the week.

shinsplints

MTFU !!!! Last Sunday at the Marin Trail – 4 & legs like spam !!!

avdave2

My knees are fine while actually riding but if they do get cold then it’s when I get off the bike that they protest. Whether or not it does any long term harm I’ve no idea but I choose to keep them warm as I’m pretty sure that won’t cause any problems. I always ride with the idea that I might end up having to walk home so dress accordingly.

IHN

I wear knee warmers, they’re great. I’m sure I read that at low temperatures the lubricating fluid in the knee (sinovial?) thickens, so isn’t as lubing. May only be noticeable if you have dodgy knees anyway (like what I have), I certainly notice the difference.

simonfbarnes

I’m almost twice 30 and still riding in shorts (in fact I always wear shorts) and my knees work fine :o) Tights are for tarts!
    click pic for more

Goz

I wear shorts all year round, in the cold weather I put longs over the top.

thefallguy

I need 3/4 baggies to keep my knees warm through the winter otherwise I can hardly walk the next day, IMO some people have better joints than others – my father in law has been arthritic since his 40’s. If you’re a pansy like me then tights or 3/4 shorts (or both) are a good option. We can’t all be godlike superheros like SFB.

RudeBoy

Shorts? In January? Are you completely mad?

Or SimonFBarnes, from pics I’ve seen.

Mind, same thing, some would say…

Yep. Proven right. Thank you, Simon.

Nutter… 😯

joe1983

Yep think I’m in the minority that have a condition called ‘gimp-knee’. Arthritis runs in the family and MTFU’ing might not seem such a great idea when I’m hobbling around later in life. Like thefallguy I’m fine out riding in shorts, it’s the next day that my knees give up.

Had to laugh at the tags!

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I’ve always been happy in shorts but I’m sure I read somewhere that on mainland europe they cover up their legs long before it gets to single figures, let alone negative ones. seems as a relust, they have fewer old cyclists with knackered knees.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Started feeling it in my knees for the first time on a sub-zero ride last weekend.

Aged 34, and possibly a sign of things to come.

Wore neoprene knee pads the next day – worked a treat.

wors

less than 15C is supposed to be bad for the knees,
    when i get my hands on my old sports teacher

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I don’t think it makes much difference after you’ve been going for a while.

MrSmith

I need 3/4 baggies to keep my knees warm through the winter otherwise I can hardly walk the next day, IMO some people have better joints than others – my father in law has been arthritic since his 40’s. If you’re a pansy like me then tights or 3/4 shorts (or both) are a good option. We can’t all be godlike superheros like SFB.

i’m the same, if i didn’t cover my knees and let them get cold they wouldn’t work the next day. even if i have a hot bath afterward they would feel cold to the touch for several hours and would need deep heat and hot water bottles to stop them aching.
    some people can ride in above the knee shorts all year round, I can’t.

Premier Icon psling
    Subscriber

If your knees feel the cold, cover them; if they don’t, then wear shorts if you want!

Football and rugby players seem to manage OK wearing shorts through the winter. Having said that, I know a lot of old football and rugby players with knackered knees.

Me, I’m nesh – I cover my knees when the temperature drops below about 12’C.

sq225917

3/4 length bib longs. long enough to keep knees toasty, short enough so they don’t wick from any puddle plodging.

andywhit

>Having said that, I know a lot of old football and rugby players with knackered knees.

Probably a result of the high impacts their knee joints took rather than wearing shorts in the cold 😉

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Tights as soon as it gets cold for me, I just can’t wear shorts or 3/4’s in really cold weather. I really suffer in the cold, especially with cold hands and if any part of me actually gets cold it just won’t warm up again.

In fact even at the Tod CX race I was wearing 3/4’s, a long sleeve base layer and SealSkinz socks, a lot of the racers were in shorts and short sleeves, some weren’t even wearing gloves!

fatsimon mk2

think there may be a bit of the old wives tales in covering your knees when it get cold as seam to remember that we ran around with only animal skins on for quite a long time with out to much problems and i think it might have been a little bit cold then 🙄

pantsonfire

think there may be a bit of the old wives tales in covering your knees when it get cold as seam to remember that we ran around with only animal skins on for quite a long time with out to much problems and i think it might have been a little bit cold then [:roll:]

Yes but those guys died in the jaws of a sabertooth tiger before they got much past 30. You wait till your a shagged out old wreck like me and you’ll be wearing thick wooly tights the same as me. If I went for a ride in this weather wearing shorts my knees would sound like the castle front door from a Hammer horror movie

soma_rich

I ware just a thong

daveb

I sometimes wear longs on night rides when it is very cold but pretty much at all other times wear shorts. I have to admit I do sometimes feel it a bit on particularly cold days but just put that down to hitting 40 last year

TooTall

It depends whether you want to keep riding bikes / doing stuff when you are older. Rough tough mountaineers / walkers shunned trekking poles when they came out – they save your knees and are far more accepted. If you want your knees to work properly when you are old, keep em warm enough.

Anyone who is ‘shorts are the only thing’ has a very short-sighted view of their own body and it working for longer.

oldgit

I’m pretty surprised by the ammount of you that wear shorts in winter.
    I’m convinced my legs work better when I keep them warm.
    Even when I’ve been well covered I’ve returned after hours on the road in absolute agony…..blue and white feet and frozen solid camelbaks I think are good pointers to cover up.
    And call me old fashioned but I’ve always covered up in winter, just like the pros. And if I race early season in shorts I’ll use a cycling leg balm.

PeterPoddy

It’s a bit like smoking isn’t it?

We all know it’s probably bad for us, but some still do it and it never causes them any problems……

🙂

Shorts with knee warmers are all I ever need.

aw

I wore shorts in china and it got down to -12 deg C however that was not by design (I didn’t take any tights with me).

now back in the UK I have been using bib tights through December and January just through comfort. Bib tights do wind me up – how do you go for a leak without stripping off completely!

I am not sure there’s any connections between cold knees and them not working?

I agree in part with the statement that you just pedal faster to keep warm however if you get stranded or need to fix a puncture you can get cold very quickly.

FROGLEEK

baggies with kyle strait knee pads -toasty warm and protected

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Are shorts in cold weather really bad for your knees??’ is closed to new replies.